What Fraction of a Water Molecule's Mass is Hydrogen?

In summary, scattering cross-section is a measure of the probability of a particle or wave being scattered by a target object or medium. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the scattered flux to the incident flux and dividing by the number of scattering particles or molecules in the target. The size, shape, and composition of the target object or medium, as well as the wavelength and energy of the incident particles or waves, can all affect scattering cross-section. This measurement is used in scientific research to study the properties of particles and materials, and it is also used in various fields such as atmospheric science, astronomy, and microscopy. Common techniques for measuring scattering cross-section include light scattering, X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, and electron scattering.
sxc656
Hi, see attachment for questions/equations and my attempt.
I have had a go at this question but cannot get the correct answer, could someone be kind enough to point out my mistake and point me in the right direction. Cheers
(sorry for poor pic quality)

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
What fraction of the mass of each water molecule consists of hydrogen? It's not 1/18.

diazona said:
What fraction of the mass of each water molecule consists of hydrogen? It's not 1/18.

2/18. Thank You

1. What is scattering cross-section?

Scattering cross-section is a measure of the probability of a particle or wave being scattered by a target object or medium.

2. How is scattering cross-section calculated?

Scattering cross-section is calculated by taking the ratio of the scattered flux to the incident flux, and then dividing by the number of scattering particles or molecules in the target.

3. What factors affect scattering cross-section?

The size, shape, and composition of the target object or medium, as well as the wavelength and energy of the incident particles or waves, can all affect scattering cross-section.

4. How is scattering cross-section used in scientific research?

Scattering cross-section is used to study the properties of particles and materials, such as their size, composition, and interactions with other particles or waves. It is also used in various fields such as atmospheric science, astronomy, and microscopy.

5. What are some common techniques for measuring scattering cross-section?

Some common techniques for measuring scattering cross-section include light scattering, X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, and electron scattering. These techniques can be used to measure different aspects of scattering, such as scattering angle, intensity, and polarization.