Thermodynamics Volume Expansion

In summary: So if the glass was originally filled to the rim with 360 mL of water, and it cooled to 18°C, adding 180 mL of water would result in the glass being full.
Ling_Ling
An ordinary glass is filled to the brim with 360.0 mL of water at 100°C. If the temperature decreased to 18°C, how much water could be added to the glass?

Volume Expansion Coefficient for Water ß (C°)^-1 (I believe then, that I use Celsius and not Kelvin?)
ß(water) = 210E-6
ß(glass) = 9E-6
Vo = 360 mL
⌂T = -82°C (= -355°K) (or is it positive, since change is the absolute value of it?)

V = Vo(1+ß⌂T)

V = 360(1+210E-6*-82)
V = 360 - 360*210E-6*-82
V = 360 - 6.199
Interpreting this, I thought that there would be 6.2 mL more room for water (unless water increases in volume as it is cooled?)

For the container,
V = 360(1+9E-6*-82)
V = 360 - .2657
So .2657 mL more room in the container. Adding 6.2 + .2657 = 6.47 mL

I don't know whether this is right or wrong, and had a few similar attempts that were wrong, so am I correct in my thinking?

Also, I know that water is the only thing that contracts when heated and expands when cooled, but I didn't think this would make sense, since it would just be overflowing, when the question seems to imply that it is leaving room for more water.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ling_Ling said:
So .2657 mL more room in the container. Adding 6.2 + .2657 = 6.47 mL

I don't know whether this is right or wrong, and had a few similar attempts that were wrong, so am I correct in my thinking?
For some reason you added the change in volume of the water and the glass. Both water and glass contract as they are cooled (at least in this range of temperatures), thus they both have less volume. If they both shrank by the same amount, then the glass would still be full. But the water shrinks more than the glass, leaving some extra space available. How much more?

Oh. I see now. So it would be:
6.2 mL - .2657 mL = 5.343 mL

I forgot that if the glass is contracting, there would be less room since it's the container of the liquid.

Ling_Ling said:
Oh. I see now. So it would be:
6.2 mL - .2657 mL = 5.343 mL
Right idea, but recheck your arithmetic.
I forgot that if the glass is contracting, there would be less room since it's the container of the liquid.
Right.

1. What is volume expansion in thermodynamics?

Volume expansion in thermodynamics refers to the increase in volume of a substance when its temperature is raised. This is due to the increase in the average kinetic energy of the molecules, causing them to move further apart from each other.

2. How does volume expansion affect the density of a substance?

As the volume of a substance increases, the density decreases. This is because the mass of the substance remains constant, but the volume increases, resulting in a lower density.

3. What is the formula for calculating volume expansion?

The formula for calculating volume expansion is ΔV = V₀αΔT, where ΔV is the change in volume, V₀ is the initial volume, α is the coefficient of volume expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of volume expansion?

The coefficient of volume expansion can be affected by the type of material, its physical state (solid, liquid, or gas), and the temperature at which the expansion occurs. Different materials have different coefficients of volume expansion.

5. How is volume expansion used in practical applications?

Volume expansion is used in various practical applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and expansion joints in buildings. It is also an important concept in thermal engineering, where it is used to design and optimize systems that involve heating and cooling of fluids.