Should Politics and World Affairs be a separate forum?

• Thread starter Nicool003
  • Start date
In summary, there is a debate about whether a specific topic, possibly related to politics, should have its own forum in a science-based forum. Some argue that it should have its own place due to the amount of discussion it generates, while others believe it should not be included as it strays from the focus of the forum. Ultimately, there is a concern that expanding into other topics may dilute the scientific content of the forum. However, there is a suggestion to consider expanding into secondary sciences.
Nicool003
I think it should have it's own forum. It has mroe posts and threads than most of the other forums and debates in there get quite heated... (innocent look)

So why is it a sub-forum to general discussion?

Physics news on Phys.org
nicool, i don't think it should only because this is a science forum, and the main focus is on the scientific stuff...

Whatever happened to political science?
(my roommate happens to be a PhD student in the field)

I also think it deserves it's own place.

There are lots of quote on quote "sciences", but like kerrie said this site wants to focus on field sciences and sciences closesly tied with physics. If we expand into secondary sciences we start to dilute the physics content. Obviously P&WA is getting a lot of attention because of the war. I don't think topics about whether bush is dumb has anything to do with science or even should be near science topics. Thanks for the suggestion though Nicool03.

nicool, i don't think it should only because this is a science forum, and the main focus is on the scientific stuff...

I could understand that to a point Kerrie but it isn't in the "all science" section.

It is in community along with how stuff works general discussion and homework help. (and PF feedback and Announcements)

But I see your point, and I see your point too Greg. And yours too monique:smile: :wink:

i guess u didn't see my point... :frown:

What point? You have not posted previously in this thread...

OK, i get your point. Next time I will post.

but next time you better at least try to see my point...!

I'm confused. haha No I get. O.k it is a deal AG next time I will see your point to.

1. Should politics and world affairs be discussed separately from other topics in a forum?

It is a common debate whether politics and world affairs should have their own separate forum or be included in a general discussion forum. Some argue that having a separate forum allows for more focused and in-depth discussions, while others believe that it can limit the diversity of topics and perspectives in the forum. Ultimately, it is up to the forum moderators and members to decide what works best for their community.

2. What are the benefits of having a separate forum for politics and world affairs?

Having a separate forum for politics and world affairs can provide a dedicated space for discussions and debates on current events, allowing for more organized and in-depth conversations. It can also attract a specific audience who are interested in these topics, creating a sense of community within the forum.

3. Are there any downsides to having a separate forum for politics and world affairs?

One potential downside is that it can create an echo chamber, where members only interact with others who share similar views. This can limit the diversity of perspectives and hinder open-minded discussions. Additionally, it may be challenging for moderators to prevent heated debates and maintain a respectful environment in a separate forum dedicated to controversial topics.

4. How can a separate politics and world affairs forum coexist with other topics in a forum?

A separate forum for politics and world affairs can coexist with other topics by having clear guidelines and rules in place to ensure respectful discussions. Moderators can also actively encourage members to participate in discussions on other topics to diversify the conversations. It is also essential to regularly review and adjust the forum structure to ensure a balanced representation of various topics.

5. Is it necessary to have a separate forum for politics and world affairs?

The necessity of a separate forum for politics and world affairs ultimately depends on the goals and preferences of the forum community. Some forums may thrive with a separate space for these topics, while others may prefer to have a more integrated approach. It is essential to consider the needs and dynamics of the forum before making a decision.