Relativity calculation, Lorentz transformations

In summary: I'm not following. Can you please clarify?The observer at F looks at his watch and records what it reads at the instants of picture 2 and 4, and then he subtracts the two numbers to find the time elapsed between the two events. Is this how you're interpreting the problem?In summary, the train is travelling at a constant 150 kmh relative to the platform and as measured by someone at point F on the platform, how much time passes between the arrival of the waves at F’ on the train?
Dawei

Homework Statement

Two flashes of light strike at the same time, at the two orange circles on the diagram. The green train is traveling at a constant 150 kmh relative to the grey platform. The train is 1 km long.

As measured by someone at point F on the grey platform, how much time passes between the arrival of the waves at F’ on the train? (basically, the 2nd and 4th picture):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4310911490_7ccb6e5ebf_o.jpg

Homework Equations

x = γ(x’ + vt’)

t’ = γ(t – vx/c2)

γ = (1 – v2/c2)-1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they will arrive at exactly the same time for an observer on the train at F’, t = 0. t' will be the difference.

t’ = γ [0 – vγ(vt’)/c^2]

where v = 41.66666, and γ = 1.00000000000001

I’d like to hear any feedback on if I’m on the right track before trying to solve for t’.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "at the same time," which reference frame are you talking about? From your diagram, it appears you're saying the events were simultaneous in the rest frame, but in your analysis, you seem to be assuming they were simultaneous in the moving frame.

Sorry, yes, the diagram is correct, the two waves will strike F on the platform at the same time.

In this case, you don't need to use relativity at all because you're only interested from the point of view of the rest frame observer.

vela said:
In this case, you don't need to use relativity at all because you're only interested from the point of view of the rest frame observer.

But the observer is in a different reference frame than F', so wouldn't there be a difference?

The observer is on the rest frame trying to observe the time difference of the two wave fronts striking F' on the moving frame.

I mean I feel like I could use classical physics if I were only interested in the observer at F', but since the train is moving there will be a time difference that must be accounted for no?

Dawei said:

Since they will arrive at exactly the same time for an observer on the train at F’, t = 0. t' will be the difference.

This is not correct! Since the train is moving along, say, positive x-axis, and that F' is travelling towards then the signal emanating from G' reaches F' sooner than the signal emanating from E' does (if we know that F' is exactly located at the center of the distance E'G'.)

As measured by someone at point F on the grey platform, how much time passes between the arrival of the waves at F' on the train? (basically, the 2nd and 4th picture).

Actually all you need is to find

[tex]\Delta t' = \gamma(\Delta t - v\Delta x/c^2)[/tex].

where [tex]\Delta t = |t_{G'}-t_{E'}|[/tex], and [tex]\Delta t' = |t'_{G'}-t'_{E'}|[/tex] which is not known to us. Because both orange circles flash at the same time and F observes that two flashes occur simultaneously at the time of emanating, so for F the signals reach F' at the same time and thus [tex]\Delta t' =0[/tex].

AB

Last edited:
Dawei said:
But the observer is in a different reference frame than F', so wouldn't there be a difference?

The observer is on the rest frame trying to observe the time difference of the two wave fronts striking F' on the moving frame.

I mean I feel like I could use classical physics if I were only interested in the observer at F', but since the train is moving there will be a time difference that must be accounted for no?
You wrote, "As measured by someone at point F on the grey platform, how much time passes between the arrival of the waves at F’ on the train?" To me, what that means is the observer at F looks at his watch and records what it reads at the instants of picture 2 and 4, and then he subtracts the two numbers to find the time elapsed between the two events. Is this how you're interpreting the problem?

vela said:
You wrote, "As measured by someone at point F on the grey platform, how much time passes between the arrival of the waves at F’ on the train?" To me, what that means is the observer at F looks at his watch and records what it reads at the instants of picture 2 and 4, and then he subtracts the two numbers to find the time elapsed between the two events. Is this how you're interpreting the problem?

I think the question asks about the delay that signals emanating from G and G' have in hitting F' from F's point of view. If this is the case, then the difference is obviously zero. But otherwise you must be right!

AB

vela said:
To me, what that means is the observer at F looks at his watch and records what it reads at the instants of picture 2 and 4, and then he subtracts the two numbers to find the time elapsed between the two events. Is this how you're interpreting the problem?

Yes, that is how I am reading the problem.

So I'm thinking "T1" = time it took for light to reach F' from G' = 500 m / (c + v)
"T2" = time it took for light to reach F' from E' = 500 m / (c - v)

Time difference = ΔT = T1 - T2 = 4.6 x 10^-13 seconds.

That would be the time difference observed by an observer on the train at F'.

But what about the observer at F? I'm calling this ΔT', and this is where I'm guessing I use Lorentz. But what are x and x' in this example?

Dawei said:
Yes, that is how I am reading the problem.

So I'm thinking "T1" = time it took for light to reach F' from G' = 500 m / (c + v)
"T2" = time it took for light to reach F' from E' = 500 m / (c - v)

Time difference = ΔT = T1 - T2 = 4.6 x 10^-13 seconds.

That would be the time difference observed by an observer on the train at F'.

But what about the observer at F? I'm calling this ΔT', and this is where I'm guessing I use Lorentz. But what are x and x' in this example?
This time difference you found is what the observer at rest measures. For observer F, he will calculate xF', the position of the person on the train, and xG, the position of the wavefront emitted from G as:

[tex]x_{F'} = vt[/tex]
[tex]x_{G} = 500-ct[/tex]

Setting the two equal and solving for t gives the time observer F measures, which works out to what you called T1. Similarly, your T2 is what observer F measures for the second wavefront catching up to observer F'.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is divided into two parts: special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to include accelerating frames of reference and the effects of gravity.

2. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations that describe how measurements of space and time are affected by the relative motion between two objects. They were developed by Hendrik Lorentz and are a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. These transformations show that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

3. How do Lorentz transformations relate to relativity?

Lorentz transformations are an essential part of the theory of special relativity. They show how measurements of space and time change for observers in different frames of reference and provide a mathematical framework for understanding the effects of relative motion and the constancy of the speed of light. Without Lorentz transformations, it would be impossible to accurately calculate and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

4. What is time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a consequence of the theory of relativity that states time passes slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This means that the passage of time is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. Time dilation has been experimentally confirmed through various experiments, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment, and has significant implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe.

5. How are Lorentz transformations used in practical applications?

Lorentz transformations have many practical applications, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used in the design of particle accelerators, GPS systems, and satellites. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in nuclear reactions. Additionally, Lorentz transformations are used in everyday technologies, such as MRI machines, that rely on the principles of relativity.