Distance between two point charges as a function of time.

In summary, Coulomb's law only holds for electrostatics... in that case I understand that this problem is physically impossible. I'd still like to solve it if we assumed that coulomb's law did hold for moving charges. However, if you introduce a new variable, U, and solve for (x1-x2) given the initial conditions, you will find that it is a linear second order partial differential equation. It may be possible to solve for (x1-x2) given the initial conditions, but it will be a difficult task.
Chubigans
Edit: Apparently Coulomb's law only holds for electrostatics... in that case I understand that this problem is physically impossible. I'd still like to solve it if we assumed that coulomb's law did hold for moving charges

If there are two point charges that are initially separated by (x10-x20), which exert a force kq1q2/(x1-x2)^2 on each other, how can I find delta x (x1 - x2) as a function of time?

When I use f = mx'', I get kq1q2/(x1-x2)^2 = mx''

or if i introduce a new variable U = kq1q2/m, it's U/(x1-x2)^2 + x1'' = 0 for the first and U/(x1-x2)^2 - x2'' = 0 for the second force.

I don't know where to go from here. I want to solve for (x1-x2) given the initial conditions. I'm not well versed in differential equations, because I'm only now starting my first semester of differential equations, but I want to say that this is a linear second order partial differential equation? I feel like it might be not difficult to solve because of the symmetry.

Can it be solved? Because the question has been haunting me for months, I'm just so darn curious. Obviously if they are attractive, delta x will approach 0 at an incredibly fast acceleration. At what time point does delta x equal 0? Or will it just approach 0 forever?

I'm new here and this is my first post, but I thought that rather than go bother my differential equations professor I would try posting it here first!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You already have these (I haven't double-checked anything):

U/(x1-x2)^2 + x1'' = 0
U/(x1-x2)^2 - x2'' = 0

Just add the two equations, and defind d(t) = x2(t)-x1(t).

This gives you an quation

2U/d^2 = d''

which is a separable differential equation.

Torquil

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two point charges as a function of time?

The formula for calculating the distance between two point charges as a function of time is given by the equation:
d = √[(x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2 + (z2 - z1)2],
where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the two point charges at a given time.

2. How is the distance between two point charges affected by the magnitude of the charges?

The distance between two point charges is inversely proportional to the magnitude of the charges. This means that as the magnitude of the charges increases, the distance between them decreases, and vice versa.

3. Does the distance between two point charges change over time?

Yes, the distance between two point charges can change over time if the charges are in motion. The equation for calculating the distance takes into account the coordinates of the charges at a given time, so any change in their coordinates will result in a change in the distance between them.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect the strength of the electric force between them?

The distance between two point charges is directly proportional to the strength of the electric force between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can the distance between two point charges be negative?

No, the distance between two point charges cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is a measure of the separation between the charges. However, the coordinates (x, y, z) used in the distance formula can be negative if the charges are located in different quadrants or in opposite directions on a coordinate plane.