Learn More About Relational Theory: Get Tips Here

• Thread starter Jack Ackrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relations and posets in mathematics, and how they can bring order to a data set or the universe. The speaker is looking for more information on this topic, but is unsure of where to find it. Some sources suggest that this may be a crackpot theory or a religious concept, but others point to mathematical concepts such as relations and partial order relations. The speaker, who is a chemist, is seeking a better understanding of relational theory and how it can be applied to reality or physical systems.
Jack Ackrell
Items in a data set or group are divided into pairs with specific relationships between each pair. In this way a degree of order is introduced into the set. I understand this can be done with the entire universe but where do I find out more?? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds extremely bogus. I would go back to the source that told you that "this can be done with the entire universe". The 'this' as you describe it, is mathematically meaningless.

Seems like some some crackpot theory has been proposed to you by someone trying to take advantage of your open-mindedness.

Or else, 'this' was part of a religious sermon...

jcsd,

how do relations and posets bring order to the universe ? I had a sneaking suspicion all along, that I had just misunderstood Jack. Really, I couldn't tell jack about what he'd written. :wink:

Gokul43201 said:
jcsd,

how do relations and posets bring order to the universe ?

If you have to ask, you'll never know...

Order is mans biggest pitfall. Everything in our western society is concerned with order. It really boggles people when you tell them about chaos theory. hehe

jcsd said:
Well there are such things as 'relations' in maths:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Relation.html

And there are such things as partial order relations:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PartialOrder.html

Though you haven't expressed it very well, it sounds like this is what you are talking about.

Dear JCSD,

Thanks for your comments and links. Sorry I couldn't express it any better. I am a chemist! I google searched Relationship theories and found they are used to organise computer databases but this was not what I was after. Wikipedia defines Relational theory as a framework to understand reality and this is close. How do I find more??

JA

Gokul43201 said:
jcsd,

how do relations and posets bring order to the universe ? I had a sneaking suspicion all along, that I had just misunderstood Jack. Really, I couldn't tell jack about what he'd written. :wink:

Gokul,

Thanks for your reply. Wikipedia says Relational theory is a framework to understand reality or a physical system I need more of this but don't know how to find.

JA

What is relational theory?

Relational theory is a theory in sociology and psychology that focuses on how individuals interact and form relationships with others in their social environment. It examines the patterns and dynamics of these relationships and how they impact individuals' behavior and well-being.

What are the key principles of relational theory?

The key principles of relational theory include the importance of social connections, the impact of relationships on individual development and behavior, and the role of communication in maintaining and strengthening relationships.

How is relational theory applied in research?

In research, relational theory is often used to study the impact of relationships on various aspects of human behavior and well-being. This can include examining how relationships affect mental health, social support, and interpersonal communication.

What are some practical tips for applying relational theory in daily life?

Some practical tips for applying relational theory in daily life include actively listening to others, practicing empathy and understanding, and being aware of the impact of your words and actions on your relationships. Additionally, seeking out and maintaining positive and supportive relationships can also contribute to overall well-being.

How does relational theory differ from other theories of human behavior?

Relational theory differs from other theories of human behavior in its focus on relationships and social connections. Other theories may focus more on individual factors, while relational theory emphasizes the importance of social interactions and how they shape individuals' behavior and well-being.