Magnetism (Current-Carrying Wires)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force constants of springs in a parallel arrangement in a circuit with two straight wires connected by identical light springs. Different equations are attempted, including F=-kx and (F/L)=(uI^2)/(2pi a), but the correct answer of 106 N/m is ultimately verified. The creation of a magnetic field in the wires is also mentioned as a factor in the solution.
Charanjit
1. Homework Statement
Two straight wires, each with a resistance of 0.170 ohm and a length of 3.90m, are lying parallel to each other on a smooth horizontal table. Their ends are connected by identical, non-conducting, light springs, each spring having an unstretched length of 1.08 cm. A wire of negligible resistance connects the wires at one end. When a switch is closed to connect a battery with a voltage of 49.0 V between the other ends of the wires, the wires move apart and come to rest with a separation of 1.57 cm

Question: Find the force constants of the springs.

2. Homework Equations

F=-kx
(F/L)=(u0I1I2)/2Pi r

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve using the equations above for K, and does not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you modify the k in the spring equation to take into account the presence of both springs in a parallel arrangement?

Yes I did. This is what I got:
F=-2kx
(F/L)=(uI^2)/(2pi a)

k=(uI^2L)/(4piax)

I tried solving this, but got wrong answers. What I did:
u=1.26e-6 (Constant given to use)
I=144.1176 (Combining resistors in series and finding current)
L=3.90 (Length of the wire)
a=0.0157 (Seperation of the wires)
x=0.0049 (stretch of the spring)

Thats what I use, and I got 106 N/m. Can you verify that please?

due to passing of current the magnetic field is created in the rods hence we know the formula F=vlb from that u can find the force and from F=kx u can find the spring constant

So what I have is correct? Can you check?

Charanjit said:
Yes I did. This is what I got:
F=-2kx
(F/L)=(uI^2)/(2pi a)

k=(uI^2L)/(4piax)

I tried solving this, but got wrong answers. What I did:
u=1.26e-6 (Constant given to use)
I=144.1176 (Combining resistors in series and finding current)
L=3.90 (Length of the wire)
a=0.0157 (Seperation of the wires)
x=0.0049 (stretch of the spring)

Thats what I use, and I got 106 N/m. Can you verify that please?
I agree, good job.

dineshnaveen said:
due to passing of current the magnetic field is created in the rods hence we know the formula F=vlb from that u can find the force and from F=kx u can find the spring constant
Charanjit already knew that!

Thank you. :)

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that causes certain materials to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the movement of electrons within atoms.

How do current-carrying wires create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the amount of current flowing through the wire.

What is the right-hand rule in relation to magnetism?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

How can magnetism be used in everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in electric motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in magnetic storage devices like hard drives and credit cards.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material that is naturally magnetic and always has a magnetic field. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is made by wrapping a wire around a magnetic core and only produces a magnetic field when electric current is flowing through the wire.