Current due to Potential Difference

In summary, when a potential difference V is applied between the two B x C faces of a rectangular block of metal with height A, width B, and length C, the current Ibc is equal to Iab times (C^2/A^2). This can be derived using the equations V=IR and R=rho(L/A), and taking into account that the voltages must be set equal.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

Consider a rectangular block of metal of height A, width B, and length C , as shown in the figure. If a potential difference V is maintained between the two A X B faces of the block, a current Iab is observed to flow.

Find the current that flows if the same potential difference V is applied between the two B X C faces of the block

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1126202/2/Walker4e.ch21.Pr023.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR, R=rho(L/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

V=IR, R=rho(L/A)

V=I*rho*(L/A)

Iab=(V)/(rho*(C/AB))

Ibc=(V)/(rho*(A/BC))

I thought this last equation was right, but apparently it isn't. When I entered it, it said that B, V, and rho had no impact upon the answer. I'm not really sure what to do now...

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, it wants the answer in "terms of some or all of the variables A, B, C, and Iab."

the answer is Iab(C^2/A^2) due to the fact the voltages had to be set equal
IabR =IbcR
Iab(rhoL/A) =Ibc(RhoL/A)
Iab(RhoC/AB) = Ibc(RhoA/BC)
Rho's and B's cancel
IabC/A = IbcA/C
cross multiply
IabC^2=IbcA^2
Ibc =Iab(C^2/A^2)

1. What is the relationship between current and potential difference?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, is directly proportional to the current flowing through a conductor. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases.

2. How can the current due to potential difference be calculated?

The current due to potential difference can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the potential difference (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation I = V/R.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A). This unit is defined as the amount of charge passing through a point in a conductor per unit time.

4. What factors affect the current due to potential difference?

The current due to potential difference is affected by the resistance of the conductor, the voltage applied, and the type of material the conductor is made of. The length and cross-sectional area of the conductor can also affect the current.

5. How does the direction of current flow relate to potential difference?

The direction of current flow is determined by the direction of the potential difference. Current flows from a higher potential to a lower potential, so the direction of current is opposite to the direction of potential difference.