Dipole Moments - Understanding Magnitude and Direction | Homework Clarification

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding dipole moments on the advanced physics forum page. The question involves finding the magnitude and direction of the dipole moment at a given point, using equations such as p = Qd and E = [(Qd)/(4∏єor3)]*(2cosѳ*ar + sinѳ*aѳ). The person is asking for clarification on how to find the direction and is seeking a simplified explanation.
Porsche911NFS

Homework Statement

Hi there, I am kind of new to this site, so please bear with me. On the more advanced physics forum page, there was a question about dipole moments, and the way the help had been described was a bit over my head. I am posting this for clarification purposes because this is something that we have recently talked about in class. I will just use satchmo05's problem so I can see the relevance to the more advanced help:

1. Homework Statement
E-field at (2[m], 30⁰, 90⁰) is E = 4aѳ [V/m]. Find the magnitude and direction of the dipole moment p.

2. Homework Equations
I know that I need I need to solve for the equation: p = Qd, where Q is the point charge at the given point and the distance between +Q and -Q, which should be 4[m].
The other equation I know of that may lead me in the right direction is:
E = [(Qd)/(4∏єor3)]*(2cosѳ*ar + sinѳ*aѳ).

I understand how to find the magnitude thanks to nickjer's help, but I still do not understand how to find the direction of this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnitude makes sense to me. In order to have no radial component to match up with the z-axis aligned E-field, the theta angle in the E equation needs to be 90 degrees. I got lost when they started talking about the phi angle. Can someone please simplify this down for me so that a beginner like me can understand this? Thank you for all help included in this post!

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a molecule or compound. It is represented by a vector and is calculated by multiplying the distance between the charges by the magnitude of the charges.

How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the distance between the positive and negative charges in a molecule by the magnitude of the charges. The resulting value is represented by a vector, with the direction pointing from the positive to the negative charge.

What are the units of dipole moment?

The SI unit for dipole moment is Coulomb-meter (C⋅m). However, it is more commonly expressed in Debye (D) units, where 1 D = 3.33564 x 10^-30 C⋅m.

How does dipole moment affect the polarity of a molecule?

A higher dipole moment indicates a more polar molecule, meaning there is a larger separation of positive and negative charges. This leads to stronger intermolecular forces and can affect the molecule's physical and chemical properties.

How do you determine the direction of a dipole moment?

The direction of a dipole moment is determined by the relative positions of the positive and negative charges in a molecule. It is always pointed towards the more electronegative element, as it has a greater affinity for electrons and therefore carries a partial negative charge.