Congo LRA Massacre: How Do We Help?

• News
  • Thread starter spacemanspiff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the tendency of people to prioritize their own personal interests over larger issues, such as atrocities in other parts of the world. The reference to a news article about a massacre in Congo highlights this point. The conversation also touches on the disparity between technological advancements and the lack of progress in certain parts of Africa. The question is posed about America's role in conflicts involving different parties.
spacemanspiff
Stories like this bring me back into perspective when we get overly passionate about something like our healthcare. I think we should feel guilty about the general populous ignoring true atrocities like this. If it's not in your backyard, no one really cares. I wonder if the LRA has killed more than Saddam.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/03/28/congo.massacre/index.html?hpt=T1

What do you think the future of Africa is? I feel we're going to have flying cars soon and they'll still be in the stone age.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily look it up. The LAR has killed about 900 people so far, and 1000 died in the invasion of Kuwait (which surely nobody doubts he is responsible for).

Which side is America suppose to take?

1. What is the LRA and why are they committing massacres in Congo?

The LRA stands for Lord's Resistance Army, a militant group operating in several countries in central Africa. They have been known for their extreme violence and use of child soldiers. The LRA has been active in Congo since the late 1990s, primarily targeting civilians in their attacks. They have been driven by a combination of political, religious, and economic motives.

2. How many people have been affected by the Congo LRA Massacre?

It is difficult to determine an exact number of victims, as many of the attacks have taken place in remote areas with limited access. However, it is estimated that tens of thousands of people have been killed and over 2 million have been displaced as a result of the LRA's violence in Congo.

3. What is being done to stop the Congo LRA Massacre?

Efforts to stop the LRA's violence in Congo have been ongoing for many years. The Congolese government, along with support from other countries and international organizations, have launched military operations and peace initiatives to try and bring an end to the violence. However, the LRA continues to operate in the region and their attacks have not completely ceased.

4. How can I help those affected by the Congo LRA Massacre?

There are several organizations and initiatives that are working to provide aid and support to those affected by the LRA's violence in Congo. You can donate to these organizations, volunteer your time, or spread awareness about the situation to help raise funds and support for those in need.

5. What can be done to prevent similar massacres from happening in the future?

Preventing similar massacres from happening in the future will require a multi-faceted approach. This includes addressing the root causes of the LRA's violence, such as poverty and political instability, as well as promoting peace and reconciliation efforts in the affected communities. Additionally, continued efforts to hold the LRA accountable for their actions and bringing their leaders to justice can act as a deterrent for future violence.

Back