Why pressure is lower at the small bore of a venturi

In summary, pressure in a venturi system is lower when the diameter of the cross sectional area is smaller due to the conservation of energy. The reduction in diameter leads to an increase in speed and kinetic energy, resulting in a decrease in pressure energy. Pressure is considered a form of energy because it requires work for the fluid to flow and is represented by the "pressure head" term in the Bernoulli equation.
thomas49th
Hi, why is it that in a venturi system the pressure is lower when the diameter of the cross sectional area is smaller?

I do not understand why pressure can be considered a form of "energy". I can understand that energy must be conserved and due to the reduction in the diameter the increase in speed (K.E increase) means a reduction in this pressure energy

Can someone please help me get my head around why this is the case?

Thanks
Thomas

Engineering news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
Hi, why is it that in a venturi system the pressure is lower when the diameter of the cross sectional area is smaller?

I do not understand why pressure can be considered a form of "energy". I can understand that energy must be conserved and due to the reduction in the diameter the increase in speed (K.E increase) means a reduction in this pressure energy

Can someone please help me get my head around why this is the case?

Thanks
Thomas

It's considered energy because it requires work for the fluid to flow...i.e. pressure times volume equals work. You could also rewrite it as pressure time area = force, and force times distance = work. Since area times length (distance) is volume, pressure times volume equals work. Which means it requires energy in the form of pressure acting on a volume of fluid to get it to flow.

So if you look at the Bernoulli equation the first term would be the "pressure head" and is representative of this energy.

CS

1. Why does pressure decrease at the small bore of a venturi?

The decrease in pressure at the small bore of a venturi is due to the principle of Bernoulli's equation. As the fluid passes through the narrowest part of a venturi, the velocity of the fluid increases, causing a decrease in pressure. This is known as the Venturi effect.

2. How does the shape of a venturi affect pressure?

The shape of a venturi, specifically the narrowing of the diameter, causes an increase in the velocity of the fluid passing through it. According to Bernoulli's equation, an increase in fluid velocity results in a decrease in pressure. Therefore, the shape of a venturi directly impacts the pressure at the small bore.

3. Is the pressure decrease at the small bore of a venturi significant?

The pressure decrease at the small bore of a venturi can vary depending on the shape and size of the venturi and the fluid being used. However, in most cases, the pressure decrease is significant enough to be measured and utilized in various applications, such as in carburetors and flow meters.

4. Does the pressure decrease at the small bore of a venturi only occur in liquids?

No, the pressure decrease at the small bore of a venturi can occur in both liquids and gases. As long as the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant, the Venturi effect and pressure decrease will still occur.

5. Can the pressure at the small bore of a venturi be manipulated?

Yes, the pressure at the small bore of a venturi can be manipulated by changing the shape and size of the venturi or by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid passing through it. This makes venturis useful in various engineering and scientific applications, such as in measuring flow rates and creating pressure differentials.