Is it the Atom or the Electron? Understanding the Photon Emission Process

In summary, when an excited electron emits a photon, it can only do so when it is accelerated. Nothing happens to the electron's EM field due to its own emission. There may be a recoil if the electron has high energy, and the emission direction of the photon is determined by the acceleration. When changing states in an atom, it is the whole atom that participates in the transition, as opposed to just the electron. In the case of photoemission and photoconductivity, it is the whole solid that participates.
kichigai
when an excited electron emits a photon what happens to the EM field of the electron

Science news on Phys.org
The electron can only emit a photon when it is accelerated. Nothing happens to the field due to the electron itself.

Integral said:
The electron can only emit a photon when it is accelerated. Nothing happens to the field due to the electron itself.

Isn't there some sort of recoil if the electron has super high energy say >1 GeV when the photon is emitted?

Integral said:

Actually, IIRC from another thread, its the changes in the fields due to acceleration that causes a photon to be emitted from a charged particle. I don't think the electron accelerates when changing from an energy level to the ground state because the electron doesn't travel through the distance separating the energy levels...it is not allowed.

ArmoSkater87 said:
Actually, IIRC from another thread, its the changes in the fields due to acceleration that causes a photon to be emitted from a charged particle. I don't think the electron accelerates when changing from an energy level to the ground state because the electron doesn't travel through the distance separating the energy levels...it is not allowed.

That makes sense for a free electron in a synchrotron.
My understanding is that free electrons do not emit photons unless their paths are changed during the acceleration. Do electrons emit photons when they are linearly accelerated? If so, in what direction?

kichigai said:
That makes sense for a free electron in a synchrotron.
My understanding is that free electrons do not emit photons unless their paths are changed during the acceleration. Do electrons emit photons when they are linearly accelerated? If so, in what direction?

You are right, FREE electrons emit photons when accelerated. Since acceleration is a vector, changing direction OR increasing in speed in a linear path (or a combination of both) would all be considered as acceleration, and so in all cases the electron would emit a photon.

ArmoSkater87 said:
You are right, FREE electrons emit photons when accelerated. Since acceleration is a vector, changing direction OR increasing in speed in a linear path (or a combination of both) would all be considered as acceleration, and so in all cases the electron would emit a photon.

In the case of linear acceleration, is there a preferred direction for emission?

what_are_electrons said:
In the case of linear acceleration, is there a preferred direction for emission?

Thats a good question, I am not sure but I am guessing that it would emit the photon in the opposite direction of its acceleration. I guess to conserve momentum it would have to do that, but I am just not sure, since this case involves a massive and massless particle.

When changing states in an atom, is it the electron which emits the photon, or the atom? I say it is the atom. So when you speak of an electron emitting a photon it must be a free electron.

The energy and direction of the emitted photon will be determined by the acceleration.

Integral said:
When changing states in an atom, is it the electron which emits the photon, or the atom? I say it is the atom. So when you speak of an electron emitting a photon it must be a free electron.

It's the WHOLE atom, so you are correct. This is because the energy eigenstates are the eigenstates of the electron within the potential of the atom. An electron, by itself, does not have the same eigenstates as it does in an atom. So it is the whole atom that participates in the transition.

Additionally, in cases such as photoemission, photoconductivity, etc., it is the whole SOLID (not just an atom) that participates in the transition.

Zz.

What is a photon emission process?

A photon emission process is a phenomenon in which an atom or molecule releases energy in the form of a photon, or a particle of light. This process occurs when an electron in an excited state transitions to a lower energy state, emitting a photon in the process.

How does a photon emission process occur?

A photon emission process occurs when an electron in an excited state has excess energy and transitions to a lower energy state. This can happen spontaneously or through interactions with other particles. When the electron transitions to a lower energy state, it releases the excess energy in the form of a photon.

What are the different types of photon emission processes?

There are several types of photon emission processes, including spontaneous emission, stimulated emission, and fluorescence. Spontaneous emission occurs when an electron transitions to a lower energy state without any external influence. Stimulated emission occurs when an external photon stimulates an electron to transition to a lower energy state, resulting in the emission of two photons. Fluorescence is a type of photon emission process in which an atom or molecule absorbs energy and then releases it in the form of a photon.

What factors affect the rate of photon emission?

The rate of photon emission can be affected by several factors, including the energy levels of the atoms or molecules involved, the temperature of the system, and the presence of other particles that can interact with the emitting particle. Additionally, the type of material and its physical properties can also impact the rate of photon emission.

What are the applications of photon emission processes?

Photon emission processes have many practical applications, including in lighting technology, telecommunications, and medical imaging. They are also used in various scientific fields, such as spectroscopy and quantum mechanics, to study the behavior of atoms and molecules.