Calculating Wavelength and Speed of a Standing Wave on a String

• Thread starter Mirth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary: Good job!In summary, the problem involves a mass of 5.50kg hanging from a cord around a light pulley at a distance of 2.50m. When set to a frequency of 120Hz, a standing wave with six loops is formed. The wavelength of this standing wave is 0.83m. The speed of the wave on the string is 360 m/s and the mass per unit length of the string is unknown. Changing the hanging mass to 22kg would result in 6 loops.
Mirth
Hey guys and girls, I'm having a hard time trying to start this problem. I think I have an idea of what to do to start it, but I'd like someone to verify it for me:

Homework Statement

A mass, m = 5.50kg hangs from a cord around a light pulley. The distance between point P and the pulley is L = 2.50m as shown.

[PLAIN]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4052/problemrm.jpg [Broken]

(a) When the vibrator is set to a frequency of 120Hz, a standing wave with six loops is formed as shown below. Find the wavelength of this standing wave.
(b) Find the speed of the wave on the string
(c) Find the mass per unit length of the string.
(d) How many loops (if any) will result if the hanging m is changed to m'=22kg?

Homework Equations

1) Wavelength:
λ=f*v ( wavelength = frequency * speed)

2) Speed of a Wave on a string:
v= SqRt(F/[m/L]) ( speed = SqRt(Tension/[mass/Length]) ) (or m\L is linear density?)

3) String fixed on both ends:
f = (n * v)/(2*L) where n = 1,2,3,4 (frequency = (harmonic[6?] * speed)/(2 * Length)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
So I can't use equation 1 because I don't know the speed (which is the question to part b, actually...).

I can't find the speed using equation 2 because I don't know the Tension(F), and I don't believe I have enough amount of info to find the Tension.

So, using equation 3, I think I can convert that equation so that I can find speed? (I haven't taken a math class in YEARS, so converting is the hardest part for me in physics)
v= (n*f)/(2*L)

= (6*120Hz)/(2*2.50m) = 144 m/s

Can anyone verify that?

that would make:
λ=f*v
= 120Hz*144m/s = 17280

Additionally,, I'm confused that, if they asked me to find the speed in part (b), then maybe using speed to find the wavelength in part (a) is wrong?

As for part (c), I have no clue. (d) I might be able to figure out...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mirth said:

Homework Equations

1) Wavelength:
λ=f*v ( wavelength = frequency * speed)
This equation is incorrect. It should be:
v = f*λ

Hint for (a): Use the diagram!

Doc Al said:
This equation is incorrect. It should be:
v = f*λ

Hint for (a): Use the diagram!

Ack, you're right, I didn't catch that. Thanks!

So... even if I didn't goof up on that, my thought process is still wrong it seems, if you're hinting at me using the diagram. Hmmm... I really shouldn't have waited so many years to take Physics II, as there is probably a formula from Physics I that I have forgotten... The diagram has mass and I guess gravity on the mass, but I'm not sure if those would help me...

Another hint: Mark off one wavelength on the diagram. How long is it?

Doc Al said:
Another hint: Mark off one wavelength on the diagram. How long is it?

Oooh. I hope I get on base with this, but if I recall from the lecture correctly, one loop is half a wavelength. I have six loops, so it'd be 3 wavelengths?

Mirth said:
Oooh. I hope I get on base with this, but if I recall from the lecture correctly, one loop is half a wavelength. I have six loops, so it'd be 3 wavelengths?
Now you're on track. :approve:

Thanks a bunch, I was definitely over-thinking that one. :D

So, for (b), it'd simply be :
v = 120Hz * 3
= 360 m/s ?

Mirth said:
So, for (b), it'd simply be :
v = 120Hz * 3
= 360 m/s ?
Where did you get the 3? What's the wavelength again?

Doc Al said:
Where did you get the 3? What's the wavelength again?

Now I'm confused again :( I thought we determined the wavelength was half of six, being 3?

Edit:
Ah. I think it'd be wavelength = 2.5m/(6/2) = 0.83?

Last edited:
Mirth said:
Edit:
Ah. I think it'd be wavelength = 2.5m/(6/2) = 0.83?
That's the one.

1. What is the equation for finding wavelength?

The equation for finding wavelength is λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency of the wave.

2. How do I measure the wavelength of a wave?

To measure the wavelength of a wave, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of the wave. This distance represents one full wavelength.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation f = c/λ.

4. How is wavelength related to the color of light?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. Shorter wavelengths correspond to blue and violet light, while longer wavelengths correspond to red and orange light. The visible spectrum, from shortest to longest wavelength, includes the colors red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

5. Can wavelength be calculated for all types of waves?

Yes, wavelength can be calculated for all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the method for finding wavelength may differ depending on the type of wave.