Solving Integral Equation with Laplace Transform

In summary, the Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency, commonly used in solving integral equations and differential equations. It can be used to convert integral equations into simpler algebraic equations, making it easier to solve using standard techniques. Some advantages of using the Laplace transform include its ability to solve complex integral equations and its systematic approach. However, it may not always exist for certain functions and its inverse may be difficult to compute for more complicated functions. It can also be used for solving non-linear integral equations, but the non-linearity should not be too severe and in some cases the equation may need to be linearized first.
MisterMan

Homework Statement

[tex]y(x) = e^{3x} + \int_0^{x}\hspace{1mm}y(t)\hspace{1mm}e^{x-t}\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex](f*g)(x) = \int_0^{x}\hspace{1mm}y(t)\hspace{1mm}g(x-t)\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

[tex]L(f*g;s) = L(f;s)L(g;s)[/tex]

I will use [tex]Y(s)[/tex] to denote [tex]L(y;s)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this like all the other problems I have encountered so far, I took the laplace transform of both sides, giving:

[tex]Y(s) = s-3 + (s-1)Y(s)[/tex]

Which gave me:

[tex]Y(s) = -\frac{s-3}{s-2}[/tex]

However, this doesn't work out, as far as I'm aware there is no inversion for 1 ( I have only dealt with the standard Laplace transforms and can only invert back to them ).

The book I have gives:

[tex]Y(s) = \frac{s-1}{(s-2)(s-3)}[/tex]

But I'm not sure how this was calculated, I'll appreciate any hints and pointing out where I have gone wrong, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]Y(s) = s-3 + (s-1)Y(s)[/tex]

[tex]Y(s) = \frac{1}{s-3} + \frac{Y(s)}{s-1}[/tex]

You can also differentiate with respect to x to get

[tex]y^{'}(x) = 2 e^{3x} + 2y(x)[/tex]

now take your transform and use

[tex]L(y^{'}) = sY(s) - y(0)[/tex]

and (from the integral equation): [itex]y(o) = 1[/itex]

sam

You took the Laplace transform of the exponentials incorrectly. You need the reciprocal of what you have. It should be, for example,

[tex]L[e^{3x}] = \frac{1}{s-3}[/tex]

Thanks sam and vela, completely missed that mistake.

Sam, I'm not sure how to use the differentiation approach. Is that starting from:

[tex]y(x) = e^{3x} + \int_0^{x}\hspace{1mm}y(t)\hspace{1mm}e^{x-t}\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

And then differentiating both with respect to x? If so, how do I go about differentiating the integral?

MisterMan said:
[tex](f*g)(x) = \int_0^{x}\hspace{1mm}y(t)\hspace{1mm}g(x-t)\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

[tex]L(f*g;s) = L(f;s)L(g;s)[/tex]

A note on your notation: [itex](f\ast g)(x)[/itex] is typically used to denote a convolution, which is not what you have in the first line of what I've quoted. The integral limits on a convolution run over the entire domain. You then have the property that the Fourier transform of a convolution is the product of the Fourier transforms of the convoluted functions.

Your second line quoted, nevertheless, is correct. I am merely pointing out that most people would assume the first line refers to a convolution, which it really isn't, so be aware of this when you use the (f*g) notation.

Mute said:
A note on your notation: [itex](f\ast g)(x)[/itex] is typically used to denote a convolution, which is not what you have in the first line of what I've quoted. The integral limits on a convolution run over the entire domain. You then have the property that the Fourier transform of a convolution is the product of the Fourier transforms of the convoluted functions.
Laplace transforms, unlike Fourier transforms, are traditionally one-sided, so you can take both y(t) and g(t) to vanish for t<0. With that assumption, the convolution integral reduces to the expression MisterMan wrote.

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in solving integral equations and differential equations.

2. How can the Laplace transform be used to solve integral equations?

The Laplace transform can be used to convert an integral equation into a simpler algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard techniques. This is possible because the Laplace transform has the property of linearity.

3. What are some advantages of using the Laplace transform to solve integral equations?

One advantage is that it allows for the solution of complex integral equations that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a systematic approach to solving integral equations and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform for solving integral equations?

One limitation is that the Laplace transform may not always exist for certain functions, making it impossible to use in those cases. Also, the inverse Laplace transform may not always be easy to compute, especially for more complicated functions.

5. Can the Laplace transform be used for solving non-linear integral equations?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be applied to non-linear integral equations as long as the non-linearity is not too severe. In some cases, the integral equation may need to be linearized before applying the Laplace transform.