Find Intro Biology Textbook: High School Level

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good introductory biology textbook at the high school level. The person asking for a recommendation has not taken biology in high school and is looking for a book that will prepare them for college. The suggested textbook is "Campbell's Biology" which is a university level textbook. Another person suggests a book from a series that covers both chemistry and biology, and recommends giving it a try.
JG89
Hey all, I'm looking for a good introductory biology textbook at the high school level. I never took biology in high school, so I need something that is very introductory, but at the same time a good book so that I'll be well prepared for biology courses in college.

Physics news on Phys.org
Campbell's Biology

thrill3rnit3 said:
Campbell's Biology

Nope, i disagreed. The book you mentioned is a university level textbook (maybe 1st & 2nd year). We used local books for bio at high school, so i can't recommend anything.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I never studied biology OR chemistry in HS. I found THE best book on introductory chemistry and it just so happens that it's part of a larger series which covers biology as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1564147207/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I don't know if their biology book is as good as their book on chemistry but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What topics are typically covered in a high school level introductory biology textbook?

A high school level introductory biology textbook typically covers topics such as cell biology, genetics, evolution, ecology, and human anatomy and physiology.

2. Are there any specific textbook recommendations for high school level introductory biology?

Some popular textbook recommendations for high school level introductory biology include "Biology: The Dynamics of Life" by Glencoe, "Biology" by Miller and Levine, and "Biology: A Global Approach" by Campbell and Reece.

3. How can I tell if a textbook is appropriate for high school level?

You can tell if a textbook is appropriate for high school level by checking the reading level, content coverage, and reviews from other educators and students. Textbooks specifically labeled as high school level are also a good indication.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a high school level introductory biology textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, Crash Course Biology, and Biologycorner.com that can supplement a high school level introductory biology textbook with additional videos, quizzes, and activities.

5. How can I make the most out of using a high school level introductory biology textbook?

To make the most out of using a high school level introductory biology textbook, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, completing practice questions, and participating in class discussions. It is also helpful to connect the material to real-life examples and seek additional resources for a deeper understanding.