Help Needed: MATLAB Code for Semiconductor Laser Rate Equation

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help with MATLAB code to simulate semiconductor laser rate equation by finite difference method. The person asking for help has tried writing their own code but it did not work. They are asking for assistance in identifying any errors in their code. Another person responds by stating that they do not do schoolwork for others but may be able to help if the code is posted. The code is then shared, and the person who initially asked for help thanks the other person for their assistance.
almesba
Can anyone help me by giving MATLAB code to simulate semiconductor laser rate equation by finite difference methord. i wrote a code but that was not working. so i need it badly. please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
almesba said:
Can anyone help me by giving MATLAB code to simulate semiconductor laser rate equation by finite difference methord. i wrote a code but that was not working. so i need it badly. please help me.

No, sorry. We do not do your schoolwork for you. Perhaps if you post your code (like you did in your other thread), we may be able to spot any errors...

berkeman said:
No, sorry. We do not do your schoolwork for you. Perhaps if you post your code (like you did in your other thread), we may be able to spot any errors...

mmm=0;
for nW=[1 3 5]
mmm=mmm+1;
mm=0;
Lam=980e-9;
q=1.6e-19;
alpha=.2;
Tn=1;
Tp=2.8e1;
G0=0.6;
N0 = 1e24;
h=6.6e-34;
c=3e8;
Gamma=1e-5;
beta=1;
epsilon=1e-12;
Va=3.75e-14;
Ith=((q*Va)/Tn)*(N0+(1/(Gamma*G0*Tp)));
for I = 0.1e-3:0.1e-3:4.5e-3;
mm=mm+1;
tini=0;
tfin=4e-9;
dt=1e-12;
m=0;
N(1)=0;
S(1)=0;
for t=tini:dt:tfin
m=m+1;
delN=I/(q*Va)-N(m)/Tn-G0*(N(m)-N0)*S(m)/(1+epsilon*S(m));
delS=S(m)+Gamma*beta*N(m)/Tn+Gamma*(N(m)-N0)*S(m)/(1+epsilon*S(m));

N(m+1)=N(m)+dt*delN;
S(m+1)=S(m)+dt*delS;
P(m+1)=1000*Va*S(m)*h*c/(Lam*2*Gamma*Tp);
tt(m+1)=t;

end
II(mm)=I*1e3;
Po(mmm,mm)=sum(N(1:4000))/4000;
N1(mmm,mm)=sum(N(1:4000)/4000);

Po1(mmm,:)=P;
Nt(mmm,:)=N;
S1(mmm,:)=S;
end
end

tt=tt*1e-9;
figure(1)
plot(tt,N);
figure(2)
plot(tt,S);

What is "not working"? You really need to be more clear in your posts here on the PF.

berkeman said:
What is "not working"? You really need to be more clear in your posts here on the PF.

Thank you. I solved the problem.

1. What is the "rate equation" for a semiconductor laser in MATLAB?

The rate equation for a semiconductor laser in MATLAB is a set of differential equations that describe the evolution of the carrier and photon densities in the laser cavity as a function of time. These equations take into account the various physical processes that occur in a semiconductor laser, such as carrier injection, recombination, and stimulated emission.

2. How is the "rate equation" implemented in MATLAB?

The rate equation can be implemented in MATLAB by writing a function that takes in the relevant parameters, such as carrier and photon densities, and uses the differential equations to calculate their values at each time step. This function can then be called in a loop to simulate the behavior of the laser over time.

3. What are some important considerations when using MATLAB for semiconductor laser simulations?

Some important considerations when using MATLAB for semiconductor laser simulations include choosing appropriate values for the laser parameters, such as the cavity length and reflectivity, and ensuring that the simulation time step is small enough to accurately capture the dynamics of the laser. It is also important to validate the results of the simulation by comparing them to experimental data or other theoretical models.

4. Are there any existing MATLAB codes for the semiconductor laser rate equation?

Yes, there are several existing MATLAB codes for the semiconductor laser rate equation that can be found online or in scientific literature. However, it is important to carefully review and understand the code before using it, as well as to make any necessary modifications to fit your specific simulation needs.

5. Can the rate equation in MATLAB be extended to model other types of lasers?

Yes, the rate equation in MATLAB can be extended to model other types of lasers, such as quantum cascade lasers or vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers. However, the specific equations and parameters may need to be modified to accurately capture the behavior of these different laser types.