What is the process for deriving a galaxy's (i.e. Milky Way) wavelength?

In summary: The chart in your original post (OP) appears to show the relative sizes (in meters) of objects, and has little to do with a "wavelength". You can look up the diameter of the Milky Way Galaxy, and fill that into the chart.
cloud_sync
I am creating this wavelength chart (attached).

I was told to use Compton's formula; I got this:
(6.626068 × (10^(-34))) / (1.1542e+42 * 299 792 458) = 1.91493535 × 10-84

Apparently, it is substantially off scale. I was then told to try de Broglie wave. Wikipedia only shows relations. I am learning the ropes here; I would like to see the process in how to derive a galaxy's (i.e. Milky Way) wavelength.

Attachments

• 001_wav.jpg
    001_wav.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 712
Astronomy news on Phys.org
cloud_sync said:
I am creating this wavelength chart (attached).

I was told to use Compton's formula; I got this:
(6.626068 × (10^(-34))) / (1.1542e+42 * 299 792 458) = 1.91493535 × 10-84

Apparently, it is substantially off scale. I was then told to try de Broglie wave. Wikipedia only shows relations. I am learning the ropes here; I would like to see the process in how to derive a galaxy's (i.e. Milky Way) wavelength.

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "wavelength"? Do you just mean size? Or are you asking about resonant frequencies or emitted radiation wavelength ranges?

The Milky Way does not have a 'wavelength'. It's radiation is spread across most of the EM spectrum. I believe you are thinking of the big bang - which does have a wavelength, so to speak - specifically accoustical wavelengths. This is a horse of a different color.

A galaxy = planets + gas + space debris = matter. Wikipedia had the Milky Way's mass so how would one derive the wavelength of a galaxy (attachment above) from a side view. Has this ever been calculated in science?

What kind of wave are you asking about?

Electromagnetic. What wavelengths are you guys regarding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum"

Last edited by a moderator:
cloud_sync said:
Electromagnetic. What wavelengths are you guys regarding?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum"

The chart in your original post (OP) appears to show the relative sizes (in meters) of objects, and has little to do with a "wavelength". You can look up the diameter of the Milky Way Galaxy, and fill that into the chart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way"

This is disturbingly intriguing. Wiki states the diameter and the thickness, but that cannot be it, could it? Is not a electromagnetic, wavelength measurement from "crest to crest?"

What is the Milky Way?

The Milky Way is the galaxy that contains our Solar System. It is a barred spiral galaxy with a diameter of approximately 100,000 light-years and is estimated to contain 100-400 billion stars.

What is a galaxy wavelength?

A galaxy wavelength refers to the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a galaxy, including visible light, infrared, radio waves, and other forms of energy. It is typically measured in nanometers (nm) or angstroms (Å).

How is the wavelength of the Milky Way measured?

The wavelength of the Milky Way can be measured by using telescopes and other instruments that can detect different forms of electromagnetic radiation emitted by the galaxy. Scientists also use spectroscopy to analyze the light from different parts of the galaxy and determine its wavelength.

What is the significance of the Milky Way's wavelength?

The wavelength of the Milky Way is significant because it provides important information about the composition, age, and evolution of the galaxy. It also helps scientists to study the dynamics and structure of the Milky Way, as well as its interactions with other galaxies.

How does the Milky Way's wavelength change over time?

The Milky Way's wavelength does not change significantly over time, as it is a stable and mature galaxy. However, as stars are born and die, the wavelength of the galaxy may vary slightly due to the changing distribution of different types of stars and their associated radiation.