Determining the radius of a star

In summary, the conversation is about determining a formula that can model the density of the sun. The equation for density is derived using the volume of a three-dimensional figure and the mass of the sun. The speaker is also interested in learning more about stellar modeling and asks for suggestions for websites. There are also discussions about the accuracy of the calculated equation and the difficulty in determining the mass of a distant star.
travwg33
I'm working on trying to determine a formula that can model the density of the sun.

density:
[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/v

the volume of a three dimensional figure is b*h
therefore: v of cylinder = Area of a circle * h (delta r = h)
v=[tex]\pi[/tex]R2[tex]\Delta[/tex]r

therefore: [tex]\rho[/tex] = ([tex]\Delta[/tex]m)/([tex]\pi[/tex]R2[tex]\Delta[/tex]r)

If this equation is wrong please comment.
Well in order for me to model this I need to figure out the radius of the sun; I know I can easily search for the value on the internet, but how is it actually determined?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
travwg33 said:
I'm working on trying to determine a formula that can model the density of the sun.

This is a solved problem: google Lane-Emden equation for one of the early models.

travwg33 said:
If this equation is wrong please comment.

Why are you modeling cylinders if the sun is a sphere?

travwg33 said:
Well in order for me to model this I need to figure out the radius of the sun; I know I can easily search for the value on the internet, but how is it actually determined?

We know the distance to the sun and the sun's angular size. Geometry tells us the rest.

You are right, I have no idea why I said cylinder, but thanks for the other suggestions.

Just last week I went to an astronomy camp and during one of the lecture, the professor introduced the class to rudimentary stellar modeling, namely modelling our own sun using excel. During the lesson we derived the equation for hydrostatic equilibrium. During the prosess we made an educated guess as to the equation for density in order to save time which we just modeled as a simple line with negative slope.
After doing so we modeled various parts of the star. This sparked my interest in stellar modelling. Are there any decent websites that can help me learn more about this?

Calculating the volume of a distant star is not terribly difficult if you know the distance [not difficult]. The spectrum gives you the average surface brightness and its magnitude tells you how much surface is required. Once you have the mass [a bit more difficult], problem solved. There are more than enough binary systems to give us good mass estimates.

i think what Travwg33 was asking, and what everyone seems to be missing, is his equation correct. he was deviving his thoughts, not just asking FOR the answer. i think he wants to learn how to devive equations on his own, a noble persuit. if that is your question... i have no frakking clue. if the others answered your question however, feel free to tell me to shut it. i probably should anyway. =3

1. How do scientists determine the radius of a star?

Scientists use a combination of observations, calculations, and mathematical models to determine the radius of a star. They study the star's luminosity, temperature, and distance from Earth to gather data and then use the laws of physics to calculate its radius.

2. What is the unit of measurement used to express the radius of a star?

The radius of a star is typically expressed in terms of solar radii, which is the radius of our Sun. This allows for easier comparison between stars of different sizes.

3. Can the radius of a star change over time?

Yes, the radius of a star can change over time due to various factors such as changes in its internal structure, nuclear reactions, and interactions with other stars. However, these changes are usually very gradual and can take millions of years to occur.

4. How accurate are scientists' measurements of a star's radius?

The accuracy of a star's radius measurement depends on the quality and quantity of the data available, as well as the methods used for calculations. Generally, measurements can have an accuracy within 10-20% of the actual value.

5. Why is determining the radius of a star important?

Determining the radius of a star is important for understanding its physical properties, such as its mass, luminosity, and age. It also allows scientists to classify stars into different categories and study their evolution and behavior. Additionally, knowing the radius of a star can help us better understand the inner workings of our own Sun and other stars in the universe.