Is cyber bullying worse than in person bullying?

• Thread starter BenVitale
  • Start date
In summary, the article states that cyber bullying is worse than in person, face to face, because there's always a choice involved in logging on to facebook, or whether to pay any attention to cyber-taunting. The article also puts figures to their conclusions and thus appears to lend credence to their hypotheses, but (so far as the article is concerned... i have not delved into further detail of the study for instance) i conjecture that the sampling is skewed due to the population having certain characteristics that may not be common to both groups (i.e. the physically bullied and the digitally bullied).
BenVitale
According to this article : http://www.news.com.au/technology/sticks-and-stones-may-break-my-bones-but-cyber-bullying-really-hurts-me/story-e6frfro0-1225927833343 [Broken]

Do you agree that cyber bullying is worse than in person, face to face?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BenVitale said:
According to this article : http://www.news.com.au/technology/sticks-and-stones-may-break-my-bones-but-cyber-bullying-really-hurts-me/story-e6frfro0-1225927833343 [Broken]

Do you agree that cyber bullying is worse than in person, face to face?

no, disagree. let's step back and think about which is an elective activity and which is not. a kid has no choice but walk home from school, and possibly be accosted by bullies. there's always a choice involved in logging on to facebook, or whether to pay any attention to cyber-taunting. one cannot easily (or at all) be turned off, and one is as easy as walking away from it or logging off.

the article puts figures to their conclusions and thus appears to lend credence to their hypotheses, but (so far as the article is concerned... i have not delved into further detail of the study for instance) i conjecture that the sampling is skewed due to the population having certain characteristics that may not be common to both groups (i.e. the physically bullied and the digitally bullied).

one more point: "Cyber-bullying victims do not see and may not even know who their harasser is, which can make them feel more vulnerable". huh? wait a sec. being physically attacked every day during or after school somehow makes one feel *less* vulnerable than engaging in an elective activity that one can painlessly log off from and escape? what a bizarre world these researchers live in, that they can conclude that physical abuse appears preferable to digital. essentially, "never have i felt more vulnerable than sitting in front of a computer monitor, helplessly strapped to facebook absorbing taunt after taunt. i so wish i were being chased down the street, having my stomach kicked, coat torn and mud stuffed down my shirt. oh the good old days!"

hogwash.

now, no one conclude i think that cyber-bullying isn't real, or doesn't have real results. i agree it is, and does. I'm simply responding to the question of degree.

What do you think of this http://www.geektown.ca/2010/10/student-death-raises-cyber-bullying-issue-.html [Broken]

The cyber-bully doesn't have to be anonymous though. Whether or not they are, the internet offers them a sense of security and obscurity. I would even say that anything devolves when a structure of accountability is missing or diminishing. As for the person who feels victimized, I suppose it could even stem from not having an outlet or any sense of justice from the situation that could lead people to feel it's worse than verbal abuse spoken by peers or others in a face-to-face situation. Either way, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people feel safer saying horrendous things to others when they're saying it in an environment with no consequences. Obviously that doesn't stand for every situation, but I think that's a fair generalization.

I cannot make a definitive statement on whether cyber bullying is worse than in person bullying without conducting a thorough and unbiased research study. However, based on current research and understanding of human behavior, it can be argued that cyber bullying can have more severe and long-lasting effects on the victim compared to in person bullying.

One reason for this is the anonymity and detachment that exists in cyber bullying. Perpetrators of cyber bullying may feel more empowered to engage in hurtful behaviors because they are not facing the victim directly and may not have to face the consequences of their actions. This can lead to more extreme and frequent bullying behaviors.

Moreover, cyber bullying can reach a wider audience and can follow the victim beyond the school or neighborhood, as it can occur through various online platforms and can be shared and viewed by a larger number of people. This can lead to a sense of isolation and helplessness for the victim, as they may feel like they have nowhere to escape from the bullying.

Additionally, the permanence of online content can make cyber bullying more damaging. Unlike in person bullying, which may eventually fade away, cyber bullying can be saved, shared, and revisited by the victim, causing ongoing emotional distress.

Furthermore, cyber bullying can also have a significant impact on the mental health of the victim. Research has shown that cyber bullying is associated with higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts compared to in person bullying.

However, it is important to note that in person bullying can also have severe consequences and should not be downplayed. Both forms of bullying can have devastating effects on the victim and should be taken seriously.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I cannot definitively say that cyber bullying is worse than in person bullying. However, the unique characteristics of cyber bullying, such as anonymity, wider reach, and permanence, can make it more damaging and harmful to the victim's well-being.

1. What is cyber bullying?

Cyber bullying is the use of electronic communication to bully, intimidate, or harass someone. It can include sending hurtful messages, spreading rumors, or sharing embarrassing photos or videos without the person's consent.

2. Who is most at risk for cyber bullying?

Anyone who uses the internet or electronic devices is at risk for cyber bullying. However, research has shown that adolescents and teenagers are more likely to experience cyber bullying due to their high levels of internet and social media use.

3. How does cyber bullying affect its victims?

Cyber bullying can have severe psychological and emotional effects on its victims. It can lead to low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and even suicidal thoughts. Victims may also experience difficulties in school, such as poor grades or truancy.

4. What can be done to prevent cyber bullying?

Preventing cyber bullying involves a combination of education, awareness, and intervention. Parents and educators can educate children on responsible internet use and the consequences of cyber bullying. Technology can also be used to monitor and restrict online activity. Additionally, bystanders can play a crucial role in preventing cyber bullying by speaking up and reporting any instances they witness.

5. What should I do if I am being cyber bullied?

If you are being cyber bullied, it is important to not respond or retaliate. Instead, save all evidence of the bullying and report it to a trusted adult or the platform where it is taking place. Seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional if needed. Remember, you are not alone and help is available.