Advice on my Tennis Ball Launcher

In summary, the conversation is about designing a tennis ball launcher that can shoot the ball 90 meters and accurately hit a target 10 meters away. The launcher must not rely on anything dangerous and must be fired from a distance of 2 meters. The person is considering using a triangular base and a crossbow effect, but is open to other designs and materials such as PVC and wood. The maximum size of the base is .5 meters by .5 meters and the maximum height is 2 meters. The person is seeking suggestions and resources as they are a high school student with no experience in building these types of mechanisms.
MMAiNNovaToR
Advice on my Tennis Ball Launcher...That Shoots 90 Meters

It can't rely on anything explosive, combustion, or electricity (anything dangerous) and has to be fired from a distance of 2 meters.

2 parts: Distance- It has to shoot 90 or more meters
Accuracy- shoot the tennis ball into a pie pan 10 meters away

I could use any design but don't know what design is best suited for this project. I was planning on building a triangular type base, firing the ball at a 45 degree angle and using some type of crossbow effect to shoot it. Some materials I have in mind so far are PVC and wood; I am open to any material that is easy for a beginner to work with, but I don't know what to shoot the tennis ball with if I do a crossbow effect. Some other designs that are reccomended are catapults and trebuchets. Again, I am open to any design that is easy for a beginner to build. The base can't be bigger than .5 meters by .5m. Max height is 2 meters.

Any suggestions would help-including videos, images, instructions, notes, references, etc. I am a Junior at high school with no experience in constructing these types of mechanisms, so I want to build something quite simple and suitable for me. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

MMAiNNovaToR said:
It can't rely on anything explosive, combustion, or electricity (anything dangerous) and has to be fired from a distance of 2 meters.

2 parts: Distance- It has to shoot 90 or more meters
Accuracy- shoot the tennis ball into a pie pan 10 meters away

I could use any design but don't know what design is best suited for this project. I was planning on building a triangular type base, firing the ball at a 45 degree angle and using some type of crossbow effect to shoot it. Some materials I have in mind so far are PVC and wood; I am open to any material that is easy for a beginner to work with, but I don't know what to shoot the tennis ball with if I do a crossbow effect. Some other designs that are reccomended are catapults and trebuchets. Again, I am open to any design that is easy for a beginner to build. The base can't be bigger than .5 meters by .5m. Max height is 2 meters.

Any suggestions would help-including videos, images, instructions, notes, references, etc. I am a Junior at high school with no experience in constructing these types of mechanisms, so I want to build something quite simple and suitable for me. Thanks.

This thing needs to fire from far away, and I don't know what to do.

1. How can I improve the distance of my tennis ball launcher?

There are a few ways to improve the distance of your tennis ball launcher. One way is to increase the tension on the rubber bands or springs that power the launcher. Another way is to adjust the angle of the launcher to a more vertical position. Additionally, using a lighter and more aerodynamic ball can also help increase the distance.

2. How do I ensure accuracy when using my tennis ball launcher?

To ensure accuracy when using your tennis ball launcher, it is important to have a consistent and stable base for the launcher. You can also adjust the angle and tension of the launcher to fine-tune the accuracy. Practicing with different distances and targets can also help improve accuracy over time.

3. What materials should I use to build a durable tennis ball launcher?

The most common materials for building a durable tennis ball launcher are PVC pipes, wood, and metal. PVC pipes are lightweight and easy to work with, while wood and metal provide a sturdier base. It is important to choose materials that can withstand the force and pressure of launching a tennis ball.

4. How can I make my tennis ball launcher more portable?

To make your tennis ball launcher more portable, you can use collapsible materials such as PVC pipes or foldable metal frames. You can also build a smaller and more compact launcher that can easily fit into a bag or car trunk. Additionally, using lightweight materials can also make the launcher more portable.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using a tennis ball launcher?

When using a tennis ball launcher, it is important to always wear protective gear such as goggles and gloves. Make sure to also keep a safe distance from the launcher when it is in use and never aim it at anyone. It is also important to regularly check the launcher for any signs of wear and tear and to follow all instructions and guidelines for safe use.