Frequency of ultrasounds to obtain oil drops in water?

In summary, the frequency of ultrasounds used to obtain microemulsions of oil into water is approximately 115,384.6 Hz. This is determined by using the formula V = λ/T, where V is the speed of sound under water, λ is the wavelength of the wave, and T is the period or inverse of the frequency. The size of the oil drops can be approximated by the wavelength of the wave, and the overall process involves interference patterns. However, this is only an approximation and the exact frequency may vary.
jonjacson
¿Frequency of ultrasounds to obtain oil drops in water?

Homework Statement

To obtain microemulsions of oil into water ultrasounds are used. ¿What is the frequency to obtain oil drops of 1 microgram which density is 0.995 g/cm3? (It does not need to be exact, with only the order of magnitude is sufficient).

Homework Equations

Well, I don't know if it is a diffraction problem, or If I should use resonance , or stationary waves.

I am lost at this point, I don't know which physical principles rely behind this process of creating microemulsions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very sorry, but I don't understand the process.

Any idea to solve this will be well received.

I know that in physicsforums you should put the equations in the point 2, but I don't know what is the exact process.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I have had an idea, I now what is the mass of the drops of oil, and the density so:

Volum=density/mass

I suppose that the drops are spherical, so they have a volum of 4/3*pi*r^3.

Finally I use:

V=[tex]\lambda[/tex] / [tex]T[/tex]

Where V is the speed of sound under water.

[tex]\lambda[/tex] Is the wavelenght of the wave.

[tex]T[/tex] is the period, or the inverse of the frequency.

So, using V=1500 m/s and a size of 0.013 meters I obtain:

Frequency [tex]\approx[/tex] 115384.6 HerzsSo I suppose that the interference pattern of the emitted wave will create oil drops of the size of the wavelenght, logically it is an approximation, I only need to know the order of magnitude of the frequency.

¿Do you think that this is correct?.o:)

I should give this to my teacher on wednesday, soy please ¿do you have any idea about this?.

1. How often should ultrasounds be used to obtain oil drops in water?

The frequency of ultrasounds for obtaining oil drops in water depends on various factors such as the type of oil, water temperature, and the size and depth of the water body. In general, it is recommended to use ultrasounds at least once a day for continuous monitoring, but the frequency may vary based on the specific conditions.

2. Is there a maximum frequency for using ultrasounds to detect oil drops in water?

There is no set maximum frequency for using ultrasounds to detect oil drops in water. However, excessive use of ultrasounds can lead to the formation of microbubbles, which may affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to strike a balance between frequent monitoring and avoiding the formation of microbubbles.

3. Can ultrasounds be used to detect all types of oil drops in water?

Ultrasounds can be used to detect most types of oil drops in water, including crude oil, refined oil, and even emulsified oil. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the type of oil and the concentration of oil drops in the water. It is important to calibrate the ultrasound equipment for the specific type of oil being detected.

4. How does the depth of the water affect the frequency of ultrasounds for oil detection?

The depth of the water can affect the frequency of ultrasounds for oil detection as deeper water bodies may require more frequent monitoring. This is because deeper water bodies have a larger volume, which may dilute the oil drops and make them harder to detect. In such cases, it may be necessary to increase the frequency of ultrasounds to obtain accurate results.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using ultrasounds for oil detection in water?

As with any scientific equipment, it is important to follow safety protocols when using ultrasounds for oil detection in water. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear and ensuring that the equipment is well-maintained and calibrated. It is also important to avoid overexposure to ultrasounds, as they can have potential health effects. Consulting with a safety expert is recommended before using ultrasounds for oil detection.