Uh I need a runway, really let me explain

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: BMW has the "feel" nailed down. In summary, the bike is a work in progress that includes Ohlins shocks, a PUIG windscreen, Satos rear sets and racing hooks, Yoshimura fender eliminator, Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools, Heli bars, Pazzo Racing levers, custom paint, front/rear wheels, black on red, and custom paint, rear swingarm.
rhody said:
nismara,

That is pretty accurate, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati" started out making scooters in the war ravaged aftermath of WWII, and never looked back, an interesting but brief history is provided in the wiki link. A family or relative associate run operation for the most part. They make great sportsbikes, Valentino Rossi is going to end his motogp career on one, if he wins a world championship in the process, he will be the first to do so on four brands of bikes. Pretty cool.

Rhody...

Wow... they make some seriously POWERFUL bikes, not just sexy.

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/g...g?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

'I scared!'

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
Wow... they make some seriously POWERFUL bikes, not just sexy.

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/g...g?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

'I scared!'
Here are some pictures for you. My buddy wasn't selling enough Ducatis to justify staying as a dealer for them, and his daughter had joined his business and they were expanding their stock of motor homes and camping trailers. He offered me one hell of a deal on his remaining 900 Monster. It was really hard to pass up - they look so lean and mean. However, my wife preferred the straight-up riding position of the Harley cruisers, so I went with another Wide Glide. Rod's not totally out of motorcycles - he kept his KTM dealership, but he was kind of conflicted about dropping Ducati.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQsAQwAA&biw=1183&bih=910

turbo-1 said:
Here are some pictures for you. My buddy wasn't selling enough Ducatis to justify staying as a dealer for them, and his daughter had joined his business and they were expanding their stock of motor homes and camping trailers. He offered me one hell of a deal on his remaining 900 Monster. It was really hard to pass up - they look so lean and mean. However, my wife preferred the straight-up riding position of the Harley cruisers, so I went with another Wide Glide. Rod's not totally out of motorcycles - he kept his KTM dealership, but he was kind of conflicted about dropping Ducati.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...tle&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQsAQwAA&biw=1183&bih=910

Wooooow. I'm not sure if they're really hot bikes... or really scary. They walk that razor edge, and look like absolute beasts. I've seen smaller exhaust on sportscars!

I just scanned a partial picture of Motogp riders from my new calendar, Valentino Rossi and the diminutive Danny Pedrosa (he's like 5'2 and 120 lbs soaking wet) trying to out brake each other for corner entry. I love the eyes, focused and concentrated on making their near automatic reflexes even more attuned without blowing the corner entry, all while sharing the same 20 square feet of track. Cool stuff.

Rhody...

Attachments

• Rossi_Pedrosa.JPG
    Rossi_Pedrosa.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 366
rhody said:
I just scanned a partial picture of Motogp riders from my new calendar, Valentino Rossi and the diminutive Danny Pedrosa (he's like 5'2 and 120 lbs soaking wet) trying to out brake each other for corner entry. I love the eyes, focused and concentrated on making their near automatic reflexes even more attuned without blowing the corner entry, all while sharing the same 20 square feet of track. Cool stuff.

Rhody...

Yeah... I'm also noticing that there's about... 1 c^2 of contact between the wheels and the road. :eek:

nismaratwork said:
Yeah... I'm also noticing that there's about... 1 c^2 of contact between the wheels and the road. :eek:

nismara,

Yeah that's about right. Here are a couple more examples of cornering at max lean, for a motogp bike that's right around 55% or so, and the contact patch of each wheel is more or less the surface area of your standard credit card, however elongated to match the tires profile. When riders are this far over they are essentially coasting, not on the brakes or the gas, but what is known in the bike riding as maintenance throttle. It takes fine eye hand coordination not to be screwed up by bumps, and the position of other riders and to keep eye tracking to the corner exit. Tires are designed to last a full motogp these days, somewhere between 37 - 50 miles depending on the track. When a tire does start to loose it's grip, it gets greasy, and instead on like riding on rails it feels like riding on jello. The riders must compensate by lifting the bike with their outside foot peg and getting even closer to the ground and taking it at a slower pace. It is easy to low side in these conditions, a lapse in judgment for even say 1/4 of a second is enough to do it. That's why these guys are known as extreme focus athletes.

Watch http://enbike.co.uk/view/562/Colin%20Edwards%20-%20What%20A%20Save!/" , good smooth throttle and brake control.

BTW. Rhody child (female) is expressing interest in learning how to ride, I told her to start with a medium powered 4 stroke dirt dirt bike, around 400 CC's, and get good instruction and basically take her lumps (hopefully a few if not any) at slow speed in the dirt and not on the highway. Don't know if she is serious or not, but she keeps toying with the idea, she really likes the BMW. Her boyfriend rides just about anything. That may be another factor in the mix. Only time will tell.

Rhody...

Attachments

• extreme lean angle.JPG
    extreme lean angle.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Casey stoner.JPG
    Casey stoner.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 381
rhody said:
nismara,

Yeah that's about right. Here are a couple more examples of cornering at max lean, for a motogp bike that's right around 55% or so, and the contact patch of each wheel is more or less the surface area of your standard credit card, however elongated to match the tires profile. When riders are this far over they are essentially coasting, not on the brakes or the gas, but what is known in the bike riding as maintenance throttle. It takes fine eye hand coordination not to be screwed up by bumps, and the position of other riders and to keep eye tracking to the corner exit. Tires are designed to last a full motogp these days, somewhere between 37 - 50 miles depending on the track. When a tire does start to loose it's grip, it gets greasy, and instead on like riding on rails it feels like riding on jello. The riders must compensate by lifting the bike with their outside foot peg and getting even closer to the ground and taking it at a slower pace. It is easy to low side in these conditions, a lapse in judgment for even say 1/4 of a second is enough to do it. That's why these guys are known as extreme focus athletes.

Watch http://enbike.co.uk/view/562/Colin%20Edwards%20-%20What%20A%20Save!/" , good smooth throttle and brake control.

BTW. Rhody child (female) is expressing interest in learning how to ride, I told her to start with a medium powered 4 stroke dirt dirt bike, around 400 CC's, and get good instruction and basically take her lumps (hopefully a few if not any) at slow speed in the dirt and not on the highway. Don't know if she is serious or not, but she keeps toying with the idea, she really likes the BMW. Her boyfriend rides just about anything. That may be another factor in the mix. Only time will tell.

Rhody...

Centimeters... at those speeds. *looks at the tires and pavement*

OK... I'm less terrified now.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks Rhody. Looking forward to the calendar.

I wish Scorpa was still kicking around this board. Her dad is a Harley man, like me, and she really loved my tweaked-out old Wide-Glide. She picked the user-name when she was a teen and wanted a trials-bike.

Ah Turbo my old friend I have been lurking around a bit lately. Haven't been around PF for awhile due to being super busy with work nearly full time and school on top. Now I am in grad school and work weekends but still lurk a bit from time to time.

Dad is still a Harley man, has a nice wide glide that he let's me ride around a bit whenever I am at home. I think when I left the forums I was riding a 2001 883 sportster, not much on the power end of things but all I could afford and all in all a nice little bike. Unfortunately a year or so ago on a ride home to meet up with the pops I hit a deer on it and totaled it and nearly myself in the process.

Had a few months off then I bought another bike. 2006 Triumph America, great bike, nice to have something different from most people but again wouldn't mind a bit more git up and go.

IMG_0353.jpg

Nismar, you'd be even more scared to look at the narrow 19" tires on the front of H-D cruisers. The heavier weight of the cruisers helps somewhat, but the contact patch is pretty tiny and is unbalanced in dynamic situations with respect to the much larger rear tires. Harley riders can get into some trouble jumping onto a hot sports bike, though the reverse is true as well. I sold two Wide-Glides that I tweaked out, and I had to warn both new owners not to test the limits until they got comfortable with them. I sold a tweaked Road King to the son of an old school-mate, and he was lulled by the "dresser" appearance of the bike. Then wrecked it that same summer.

scorpa said:
Ah Turbo my old friend I have been lurking around a bit lately. Haven't been around PF for awhile due to being super busy with work nearly full time and school on top. Now I am in grad school and work weekends but still lurk a bit from time to time.

Dad is still a Harley man, has a nice wide glide that he let's me ride around a bit whenever I am at home. I think when I left the forums I was riding a 2001 883 sportster, not much on the power end of things but all I could afford and all in all a nice little bike. Unfortunately a year or so ago on a ride home to meet up with the pops I hit a deer on it and totaled it and nearly myself in the process.

Had a few months off then I bought another bike. 2006 Triumph America, great bike, nice to have something different from most people but again wouldn't mind a bit more git up and go.

IMG_0353.jpg
So good to see you back, Scorpa! I'm glad that you didn't total yourself!

I love the old straight-up British-style twins, too. For a long time, I owned a Yamaha 450 Street Scrambler (CL) and I got tuning, cam-follower clearances and other standard maintenance down pat. I could synchronize the carbs, set the timing and and set the cam-followers in 25 minutes. That includes tear-down and re-assembly (removing exhausts, covers, etc, and replacing them after). When my neighbor got a CL I'd press him into service as a go-fer and got the time for 2 bikes down to less than 45 minutes. We'd tweak those machines and head out to the back roads to test them.

BTW, I don't think that most bikers understand that the Yamaha twins were ripped off directly from the British upright twins. They were.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a great bike, a really good ride. I'm in the process of putting some wide glide style bars on it and am probably going to take those hardbags off and replace them with something else...they look great but are really flimsy. Will be no good for the Alaska trip I am planning for the summer. Also might take the floorboards off and throw some pegs on but I'm on the fence about that. Oh yeah and those mirrors have to go, I've kept them for the past season but as soon as I find another set I like they are gone, I know they are old Triumph style but I still think they are ugly.

When I am out of school and have more money than I know what to do with (haha right), I want to get a nice naked bike like the Aprilia Shiver or Triumph Speed Triple I could play around with on a track and around town as well as a more dual purpose bike like the new Triumph 800XC Tiger. I will need a big garage haha.

scorpa said:
Yeah it is a great bike, a really good ride. I'm in the process of putting some wide glide style bars on it and am probably going to take those hardbags off and replace them with something else...they look great but are really flimsy. Will be no good for the Alaska trip I am planning for the summer. Also might take the floorboards off and throw some pegs on but I'm on the fence about that. Oh yeah and those mirrors have to go, I've kept them for the past season but as soon as I find another set I like they are gone, I know they are old Triumph style but I still think they are ugly.

When I am out of school and have more money than I know what to do with (haha right), I want to get a nice naked bike like the Aprilia Shiver or Triumph Speed Triple I could play around with on a track and around town as well as a more dual purpose bike like the new Triumph 800XC Tiger. I will need a big garage haha.
Sounds like some fun projects! I think decent boots with steel shanks on pegs offer you better control than floorboards, but you may like the comfort of the 'boards on long rides. Yep the mirrors are funky, and might have to go. Presumably the hard bags have low attachment points that can double as braces for soft bags, and they would probably look nice low-slung with a solo seat instead of a gunfighter seat. That would take a lot of the fat out of the rear. That bike has some potential for curb-appeal.

scorpa said:
Careful! You'll give Rhody a coronary.

For Scorpa: 1985 Wide Glide. Steep cams, adjustable push-rods, and head-work by Perewitz - the best builder on the East coast. Over sized petcock, tubing, filter, etc leading to an S&S Super E carb fitted with a Yost Power Tube fuel atomizer over the main jet and over-jetted. Exhausts were low-restriction and equipped with anti-reversion baffles so that exhaust pulses could not propagate back up the pipes and retard scavenging. There was a lot more, but these are the basics.

wideglide-1.jpg

Beautiful bike Turbo, wouldn't have minded taking that bad boy for a spin.

scorpa said:
Beautiful bike Turbo, wouldn't have minded taking that bad boy for a spin.
You might have had a good time. With that old 4-speed transmission and the leggy power-band that I tuned in that bike could eat up any Harleys that weren't properly set up, including factory-modified bikes. Twist the throttle until you start running out of "pull" and upshift. Rinse and repeat.

Sweet! How's the belt drive? I've always owned chains, but hear belts are pretty dang smooth.

"Exhausts were low-restriction and equipped with anti-reversion baffles so that exhaust pulses could not propagate back up the pipes and retard scavenging."

Lol, spoken like an aero-e.

I used to fly model airplanes (R/C), and we used to tune the snot out of those things, mainly by cutting copper pipes for best performance. It was difficult to find/tune a good exhaust system back then. More of an acoustics thing than anything else.

turbo-1 said:
Nismar, you'd be even more scared to look at the narrow 19" tires on the front of H-D cruisers. The heavier weight of the cruisers helps somewhat, but the contact patch is pretty tiny and is unbalanced in dynamic situations with respect to the much larger rear tires. Harley riders can get into some trouble jumping onto a hot sports bike, though the reverse is true as well. I sold two Wide-Glides that I tweaked out, and I had to warn both new owners not to test the limits until they got comfortable with them. I sold a tweaked Road King to the son of an old school-mate, and he was lulled by the "dresser" appearance of the bike. Then wrecked it that same summer.

I think if I had a choice, just based on how I ride a non-motorized (aka my wussy boy) bike... more leaning and hybrid mountain than cruising. When you put it the way you do... maybe I'd just go with the sport style, but NOT go at such an angle around corners that my knee is experiencing ground-effect lift!

I have to say, I don't need (nor can I really afford in terms of time or money in this case) a new hobby like this. Still... I have friends with bikes... :biggrin:

Maybe I'll just buy a helmet... and cadge rides...

mugaliens said:
Sweet! How's the belt drive? I've always owned chains, but hear belts are pretty dang smooth.

"Exhausts were low-restriction and equipped with anti-reversion baffles so that exhaust pulses could not propagate back up the pipes and retard scavenging."

I used to fly model airplanes (R/C), and we used to tune the snot out of those things, mainly by cutting copper pipes for best performance. It was difficult to find/tune a good exhaust system back then. More of an acoustics thing than anything else.

I was one of those 'dorks' who watched the people flying the model planes... until this day I always wondered what that "fiddling" (as I saw it at the time) between flights was about. I finally asked one gentleman, and he told me it was to "correct any problems that arose mid-flight." I'm not sure why that satisfied my curiosity until now.

So... trimming exhaust... was there anything else you'd do a lot, even out there on the field?

nismaratwork said:
I was one of those 'dorks' who watched the people flying the model planes... until this day I always wondered what that "fiddling" (as I saw it at the time) between flights was about. I finally asked one gentleman, and he told me it was to "correct any problems that arose mid-flight." I'm not sure why that satisfied my curiosity until now.

So... trimming exhaust... was there anything else you'd do a lot, even out there on the field?

Aside from trying to figure out now not to crash?

Back in those days, our radios weren't quite totally up to speed. Not so much the radio itself (4ch Futaba was very good back in the 80s), but most of what I did is simply do some trimming so that my aircraft would simple fly true. Some trimming was available via the radio, some via manual, nylon twist trim links.

I had a Falcom 56, and had built it with the lesser dihedral option. It was so maneuverable I used to fly it vertical and inverted through the soccer uprights of South Run District Park in Virginia.

I was almost always the only one out there at the time, so,

Most of the other trimming involved the engine, trying to get the best (highest) RPM off the line, primarily via fuel feed. In retrospect, probably not the best approach, but it worked at the time. Tons of castor oil all over the right side of the wing, and after around 11 months, the rubber bands on the right side of my wing simply failed. Total demise, but I went on to new things, including a model my Dad built.

mugaliens said:
Aside from trying to figure out now not to crash?

Yeah... I saw a lot of that. I was shocked too, because some of those R/C planes, while toys, could have carried a small dog! I guess I don't need to tell you, but seeing one come in hard made me wince, just as a bystander... so much work gone. I saw one grown man lie down on his back and just cry. Not hysterical, but a very constant weeping, after he crashed what I THINK must have been a 4+ foot gas-engine "model".

mugaliens said:
Back in those days, our radios weren't quite totally up to speed. Not so much the radio itself (4ch Futaba was very good back in the 80s), but most of what I did is simply do some trimming so that my aircraft would simple fly true. Some trimming was available via the radio, some via manual, nylon twist trim links.

I had a Falcom 56, and had built it with the lesser dihedral option. It was so maneuverable I used to fly it vertical and inverted through the soccer uprights of South Run District Park in Virginia.

I was almost always the only one out there at the time, so,

Most of the other trimming involved the engine, trying to get the best (highest) RPM off the line, primarily via fuel feed. In retrospect, probably not the best approach, but it worked at the time. Tons of castor oil all over the right side of the wing, and after around 11 months, the rubber bands on the right side of my wing simply failed. Total demise, but I went on to new things, including a model my Dad built.

That sounds terrific to me, and like a good way to do everything you can NEVER do again with a commercial or military craft (in terms of servicing!).

btw.. upside down with that tech?... you must have been good with an R/C! I've only used basic hobby R/C, and those are unfamiliar enough: I've SEEN what those R/C buggers are really about: they should come with kneepads to rest on!

turbo, scorpa,

I see the re-bonding has begun, welcome scorpa, did you see this trials post in this thread I did awhile ago https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3079765&postcount=68" post has a pic of my bike, but so much has changed that I haven't redone it yet. Ohlins steering damper, full Ohlins suspension, bar end mirrors, custom seat cover, etc...

I want to get a nice naked bike like the Aprilia Shiver or Triumph Speed Triple I could play around with on a track

hmmm... heart of a racer lurking... you will never be happy till you commit and do it, plenty of time for you, hope you live your dream. Nice bike pics BTW, and the changes you make or will make sound cool. What about trials competition ?

Got to head to work, again, welcome...

Rhody... :wink:

mugaliens said:

Belts are pretty nice. Until I got into belt-drives, I had a bad habit of stretching and wearing final drive chains and cupping the sprocket teeth. I was never gentle on the throttle.

And yes, getting decent exhausts can be a trick. You need some baffling, not for "back pressure" as some claim, but to break up the acoustic pulses so you don't have sharp pulses in pressure interfering with the flow of exhaust gases. Then, the pipes need to be the right length, and incorporate an anti-reversion ring near the port to break up any pulses that do manage to propagate back up the pipe. I relied on aftermarket specialists for such pipes, and generally they had dyno-graphs to back up their claims.

rhody said:
turbo, scorpa,

I see the re-bonding has begun, welcome scorpa, did you see this trials post in this thread I did awhile ago https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3079765&postcount=68" post has a pic of my bike, but so much has changed that I haven't redone it yet. Ohlins steering damper, full Ohlins suspension, bar end mirrors, custom seat cover, etc...

hmmm... heart of a racer lurking... you will never be happy till you commit and do it, plenty of time for you, hope you live your dream. Nice bike pics BTW, and the changes you make or will make sound cool. What about trials competition ?

Got to head to work, again, welcome...

Yes I saw those trials videos you posted, I have so much respect for those guys. I wanted to get into that years ago but never did. I wanted to race motocross to but the parents wouldn't let me...even though I had the bike haha. Getting out onto the racetrack is a huge goal of mine, it will be a few years off probably as I have neither the time nor money right now but it will happen. I'm lucky enough to have two tracks not to far away so it would be easy to get started, I wouldn't mind entering a race or two just for the heck of it.

That is a hell of a bike you have there, I'll bet that thing is an absolute beast.

scorpa,

Thanks for complement on the BMW. Sorry for not getting back to you and this thread right away, work has me maxed out and I have little mental energy at the end of the day for anything else. Add that fact I have a laptop that is misbehaving which I have been spending a bit too much time trying to fix. Tonight I said, enough, time for a little PF.

I was thinking today, having driven my first bike at fifteen and a half, off road, 305 Honda, engine seized threw me over the handlebars, the guy who sold it to me lied about the bike, no big deal though. It lasted till the first get off. I have had the itch ever since. In my youth I really couldn't afford a car, and a bike seemed like a good way to have fun cheaply. In the process a life long love developed with them. Sounds like you have good the same feeling too.

My other bike is an 06 Yamaha FJR 1300 ABS, see thumbnails, the front shot is with luggage bags, however, 99% of the time I ride without them, even prefer to use a backpack instead of using them. The FJR is basically bulletproof, but at over 600 pounds with fluids, there is no way to make a sport/touring bike into a sport bike, no matter how much creativity, money, time and effort you put into it. I hope the BMW will satisfy a life long dream of creating something that is really me. I am not out to please anyone but myself with this, but along the way seem to have captured a few other people's imagination in the process, and that can't be a bad thing, IMHO.
I'm lucky enough to have two tracks not to far away

Hopefully, you will follow your dream, and get a chance to ride on a track. I have prepaid, non-refundable to ride a track day (with instruction) in June this year at Loudon, NH. There will be about 30 guys from the local shop headed there so it should be fun. I am told by folks who have ridden, that a track day will kick the ... out of you if you are not in shape, so spring will include lots of physical stuff that will make riding the bike hard more fun. Push ups, lot's of long bicycle ride's I do that now anyway. I have a friend who has done a few Loudon single track days. He claims that you really need two days in a row to gain confidence. If the opportunity presents itself I may decide to do two in a row, if I feel that I have what it takes.

If you are ever back this way, let Turbo and I know, maybe there will be a chance to do some riding together. Turbo keeps insisting his riding days are over, but I know deep down he will do whatever it takes to take both my FJR and BMW out in the twisty roads of NH if it is possible. In any event, I will keep encouraging him. I hate to see people give up on their dreams...

Rhody...

P.S. Sorry Nismara, no exciting video's or rider background tonight, maybe this weekend, hehe...

Attachments

• FJR3.JPG
    FJR3.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 342
  • FJR2.JPG
    FJR2.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 308
  • FJR1.JPG
    FJR1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 352
I started riding around that age to, got my first dirtbike at around 11 or 12 and been addicted ever since. Me and my dad used to go riding all over the place on those things. Saved up my money and bought my first streetbike (the yellow sportster) at 21.

That FJR is a good looking bike. I've never ridden a sport touring bike but I would be interested in trying one. My dad added a BMW R1200 to his fleet this year so I'll have to take it for a burn this summer (not really my style of bike though...the thing has a heated seat for god sakes...bit to much of a couch on wheels for my taste).

I've heard the track days are quite demanding to. I think it was 'On Any Sunday' that they said motocross was one of the most physically demanding sports there is. Definitely want to make sure you'll be in shape for it, and I think doing the two days would be worth it. Once I'm done grad school and not poor that will be one of the first things I do.

And I think if you showed up on Turbo's doorstep with the bikes and threw him a set of keys you'd have a riding buddy :P I'd love to head out your guys' way one of these days...it would be a beautiful ride...always wanted to see the east coast.

It's pretty interesting seeing you and Scorpa interact actually. Hi Scorpa, pleasure to meet you, I'm the voyeuristic wimp in the thread!

nismaratwork said:
It's pretty interesting seeing you and Scorpa interact actually. Hi Scorpa, pleasure to meet you, I'm the voyeuristic wimp in the thread!

Haha why so interesting?

Nice to meet you as well. I used to post here a few years ago, now I pretty much just lurk, but may start coming out of the woodwork now from time to time.

scorpa said:
Haha why so interesting?

Nice to meet you as well. I used to post here a few years ago, now I pretty much just lurk, but may start coming out of the woodwork now from time to time.

Your name kept coming up in the vein of, "Oh, scorpa would love this," and it's always interesting to see how people re-connect over a shared interest.

Besides, you and represent(ed?) the Cruiser breed, and motocross... quite a combo!

nismaratwork said:
Your name kept coming up in the vein of, "Oh, scorpa would love this," and it's always interesting to see how people re-connect over a shared interest.

Besides, you and represent(ed?) the Cruiser breed, and motocross... quite a combo!

Errr, Nismara,

You forgot one branch, Trials Riding or more properly Trials Competitions, they are a whole special breed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a large number of them were comfortable with physics, math in general because the sport revolves around small acceleration/deceleration motion(s) (i.e. analogous to atomic, hehe) and balance on small contact patches. The environment in which the rider performs provides the equivalent of quantum mechanical uncertainty, both macroscopically and microscopically, lol. Ok, I am done going off on a tangent. Trials of... dancing on the head of a pin... hmm... let's see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82iVMONcwss"

This video, about two sons (from my neck of the woods) who secretly restored their Dad's aging 1969 Norton Commando 750 that was sitting in pieces in their Dad's garage since 1993.
Very touching, brought tears and I don't get emotional easily, see if you think so too...

Rhody... :approve:

P.S. I love the drive by at the end, very well done video...

Attachments

• Dream restored.JPG
    Dream restored.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 352

Attachments

• Nismara this could be you.JPG
    Nismara this could be you.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 372
rhody said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCxBq5eUP_I&feature=related"

Nismara,

After that last video, and reviewing your last few posts, I couldn't help but think of you when I watched this.
Who knows maybe this will put you over the top. See what you think...

Wow... yeah, as much as it's attractive, I keep noting the angle at which the rider leans, and the minuscule contact patches.

In fact... I'm thinking of buying a treaded vehicle. :biggrin:

J/K Jaaay kaaay.

Now, I'm not kidding when I say I wanted that chocolate shake, but... that's the problem. I'd look at the bike, then the shake, then the bike, then realize that might be my LAST shake... or one of many months of JUST shakes.

You see my point? I bet it would be a blast to strap a jet engine to you car and put a delta wing on it, but, but it would be SHORT fun. Once upon a time I might have had the reflexes for this kind of thing, but now?... heh... I'd be road pizza.

Time to move on to a different subject. The track, Loudon Road Race course, see thumbnail below. Watch this brief four minute http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEEexu4ip-g" of Neal Garvin, makes a great start in the first race, and finishes, in the second well watch and see for yourselves. Neal makes a good start on the BMW 1000RR, I can tell because of it's distinct engine sound, and second he only hits near top end in third gear (see chart thumbnail), about 140 mph give or take, and because of its superior horsepower takes him to the front of the pack. His riding ability seems fine, although I get the impression from the video that he has somewhat of a "chip on his shoulder". He finishes his first race, and is making his way around the track for the start of his second lap, watch carefully around 3:50 - 3:55, I watched it at least 5 times and am still not absolutely certain what led to his high side. Perhaps too much corner entry speed, and second at 3:53 his goes over a slab of new pavement, and you can hear the camera vibrate as he does. It is right before the apex of the corner, perhaps this was enough to unsettle the bike, I can't tell for sure. I watched three more times and it seems that too high corner entry speed and not smooth use of throttle to bring the drift under control contributed to his crash.

I watched the start again of both races and he takes a different line on the lap where he crashed, his entry was at a more severe angle and I believe he was in 4th gear down the back straight, which top speed is about 160 mph about 20 mph hours faster than on his starting lap. This means he had to be on the brakes harder into that turn and second his line leaves less room for error, for which he paid a dear price.

So that is what I will be seeing and feeling this June, hopefully with not the same result as poor Neal here in the video. Funny, but it seems that the Loudon track caters to what I like the most, hard acceleration out of corner's in first through third gears. I like the braking too, but after a number of hard stops your arms and upper body get tense from the strain. You may be thinking, how do I know this, not having ridden that track before. The best I can say is that on rural roads I routinely practice hard stops on the FJR from third gear to a stop or rolling stop, getting the ABS to kick in the last 50 yards or so. I know I have done it correctly when I reach my stopping point exactly, and seem to be able to do this on familiar roads at will with dry, warm roads and my bike tire pressures exact.

My goal this summer is to have fun, not push beyond the 85% level because I know all too well that if you push to 90% or more of your ability level things can and do go wrong. Second, I have done some research, and will be switching to Michelin street tires which everyone I who rides sport bikes at the shop says are forgiving when they break loose. My FJR's tires are blessed with with this trait, and have saved my butt more than a few times since I have owned it. The BMW is going to have the same advantage too.

Rhody...

P.S. Here is a link to http://www.lrrsracing.com/" this time in dry conditions, very cool.

Good luck, Rhody. When you have a decade or two's "feel" for the limitations of your bike, it's easier to stay within the limits. It's a lot tougher when you're pushing the envelope on performance issues. It goes without saying that being on two wheels on a "twitchy" machine is a whole lot riskier than push the limits in a 4-wheeled vehicle with air-bags, seat-belts, etc.

As I mentioned to Nismar above, H-D cruisers can be very twitchy, especially the ones with narrow 19" front tires and fat 16" rear tires. It's nice to have the mass of the H-D package, but it can be exciting to get into a situation where fast maneuverability is required and you have to instinctively know what to to with a narrow front tire with a tiny contact patch and a fat rear tire (heavily loaded!) with a large one.