Inserting images into blogs etc.

• Thread starter Wannabeagenius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary: Yes, exactly! Just paste the text into the blog post form on the blog software, and you're ready to go.Yes, exactly! Just paste the text into the blog post form on the blog software, and you're ready to go.
Wannabeagenius
[Mentor's note: this thread was split off from a thread in the "Forum Feedback and Announcements" forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=449867 ]

jtbell said:
I guess you missed the thread we had about this just a few days ago, which is a few entries below your thread right now:

How do I put images here?

OK. I understand.

I'm actually writing a blog for another website. I'm writing the blog using Microsoft Word with insertions. Is there a simpler way to post a blog from Microsoft Word or do I still have to use an external server for the images?

Thanks

Bob

Test

t1main.brody.young.handout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Wannabeagenius said:
OK. I understand.

I'm actually writing a blog for another website. I'm writing the blog using Microsoft Word with insertions. Is there a simpler way to post a blog from Microsoft Word or do I still have to use an external server for the images?

Thanks

Bob

Test

t1main.brody.young.handout.jpg
Certainly there are tools that will make the publishing process easier. Something that publishes from Word to the Web may well take care of this for you, but note, you will still have to have a location where the picture will be uploaded to. However, the publishing program may simply create a default location for you.

I don't know if this publishing program has some very common blog formats that you can pick, so that much of this is done for you, but it might be more complicated and more effort than just doing this manually: post the text content, upload the images, link to them in your blog.

When I am writing my blog, adding an image is done by selecting an image from my HD and uploading/linking to it in one step.

Last edited:

DaveC426913 said:
Certainly there are tools that will make the publishing process easier. Something that publishes from Word to the Web may well take care of this for you, but note, you will still have to have a location where the picture will be uploaded to. However, the publishing program may simply create a default location for you.

You have been very helpful. Thank you.

I suppose it is only a matter of time before browsers support the functionality of incorporating images directly.

Bob Guercio

Wannabeagenius said:
I suppose it is only a matter of time before browsers support the functionality of incorporating images directly.
No. It is technically antithetical.

DaveC426913 said:
No. It is technically antithetical.

I'm sorry. Are you using "antithetical" to mean "impossible"? Or to mean "opposite"?

Incompatible with the technology. Contrary to word document image displayed on the web page is not part of the document, it is a separate entity.

Borek said:
Incompatible with the technology. Contrary to word document image displayed on the web page is not part of the document, it is a separate entity.

So this is true of the entire Internet, not just this program.

Thanks. I learned a lot in this thread.

Bob

Wannabeagenius said:

If you're publishing a blog using Word or Wordpress or Blogspot or whatever, you're already using an external server, namely the one that hosts your blog! Whether your blog-hosting server allows you to host images along with the text of your blog, depends on the server's policies; whether you can include inline images in the blog, and how and where to upload them, depends on the blog software.

One blog that I read frequently uses Wordpress. It has its images together with the text on the server that hosts the blog.

Another blog uses Blogger (Blogspot). It has some images on blogger.com, and some on other sites like flickr.

I don't know whether Microsoft provides a server for hosting blogs created with Word, or whether you have to find one yourself. I didn't even know that Word has blog-authoring features, as opposed to simply using it to write text for a blog the same way as with other text editors or word processors.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
If you're publishing a blog using Word or Wordpress or Blogspot or whatever, you're already using an external server, namely the one that hosts your blog! Whether your blog-hosting server allows you to host images along with the text of your blog, depends on the server's policies; whether you can include inline images in the blog, and how and where to upload them, depends on the blog software.

One blog that I read frequently uses Wordpress. It has its images together with the text on the server that hosts the blog.

Another blog uses Blogger (Blogspot). It has some images on blogger.com, and some on other sites like flickr.

Does this mean that I can cut and paste from Microsoft Word and the blog program takes care of it all?

Thanks,
Bob

Uh-oh... something just dawned on my sleep-deprived brain. Are you trying to use PF's own blog feature, or are you looking to set up a blog elsewhere using Wordpress or Word or whatever?

jtbell said:
Uh-oh... something just dawned on my sleep-deprived brain. Are you trying to use PF's own blog feature, or are you looking to set up a blog elsewhere using Wordpress or Word or whatever?

Elsewhere. I guess it matters?

Yes, it means I was correct in moving this discussion from the PF-specific "Forum Feedback & Announcements" forum to the more general "Computers" forum.

I don't know anything about blogging "platforms" like Wordpress or Blogger. Hopefully someone else here does, and can help you with specific information.

Wannabeagenius said:
Does this mean that I can cut and paste from Microsoft Word and the blog program takes care of it all?
Probably not. I can't be sure, but the blog program will likely add images by opening a dialogue and inserting an existing image.

DaveC426913 said:
Probably not. I can't be sure, but the blog program will likely add images by opening a dialogue and inserting an existing image.

OK. I have a much better understanding of the process and would like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread and helped me.

Bob

Wannabeagenius said:
OK. I have a much better understanding of the process and would like to thank everybody who contributed to this thread and helped me.

Bob

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if it was on this thread but someone suggested Flickr. You could actually load your images on your profile page of this site and use that URL. It makes life much easier.

Test.
attachment.php?attachmentid=29999&d=1290313154.gif

As long as one picture is enough for your needs you are right, but your blog would look rather boring:

On the beach:

On the boat:

And finally I caught hot chick getting tan topless:

Wannabeagenius said:
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if it was on this thread but someone suggested Flickr. You could actually load your images on your profile page of this site and use that URL. It makes life much easier.

Test.
I have to say that Wordpress is the best blogging system to date. It is very easy to write an article post it, edit it, and add images. You may not know this, but there are thousands, if not millions of websites that run off of the GPL wordpress software. They use a copy of it, which they or their host had to pay for and then style their site into a nice Webpage.

You could write everything in word and then paste it into Wordpress, well text wise anyways. You would have to add the images yourself. There are so many sources to "host" your pictures, but beware of the agreement you, well agree to when you sign up with the site. You may be giving away your intellectual property and letting them use your graphics however they see fit. Facebook.com does this exact technique for anything you post graphic wise.

I use photobucket.com, If I don't use my server for hosting my pictures. Last time I read their agreement, you keep all the rights to your graphics. This may have changed so please read it for yourself.

1. How do I insert images into my blog?

To insert images into your blog, you can use the tag in HTML. This tag allows you to specify the source (src) of the image and any other attributes such as width, height, and alt text. You can also use a content management system (CMS) or blogging platform's built-in image insertion tool to easily add images to your blog.

2. What is the best file format for images in a blog?

The most commonly used file formats for images in blogs are JPEG and PNG. JPEG files are compressed and are ideal for photographs, while PNG files are uncompressed and are better for graphics or images with text. It is important to optimize your images for web use to ensure they load quickly on your blog.

3. How do I ensure the images I use in my blog are copyright-free?

To ensure that the images you use in your blog are copyright-free, you can use websites such as Pixabay, Unsplash, or Pexels, which offer a wide selection of high-quality images that are free to use for commercial purposes. You can also purchase images from stock image websites or use images that are labeled for reuse with modification on Google Images.

4. How can I make my images more visually appealing in my blog?

To make your images more visually appealing in your blog, you can use editing software such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva to enhance the colors, add filters, or resize them to fit your blog layout. You can also experiment with different placements and sizes of images within your blog post to make it more visually appealing.

5. Can I use images from other websites in my blog?

It is best to use images that you have permission to use or that are labeled for reuse on other websites. Using images without permission can result in copyright infringement. However, you can use images from other websites with proper attribution and linking back to the original source. It is always recommended to obtain permission before using any images from other websites in your blog.