How do you find final velocity with initial velocity and energy gained?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the final velocity using the given information of mass, energy gained, initial velocity, power, and time. An equation is suggested and the difference between energy and change in energy is explained.
lanruoer

Homework Statement

It gives the mass, energy gained (change in energy), initial velocity and power and time
I need to find final velocity

Homework Equations

EK= 0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of plug in the number into above formula but if i do this i won't be using the initial velocity. Also I'm confused about change in energy and energy.. is there any difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need the initial velocity because you are given the "Change" in energy.

delta (KE) = 0.5*m*(vf - vi)^2Also the difference between energy and change in energy is simple that, energy is the total energy of a body at a given time. Change in energy is the difference of the total energy at two time instants.

Hope this helps! :smile:

1. How do you calculate final velocity with initial velocity and energy gained?

To find the final velocity with initial velocity and energy gained, you can use the equation: vf = √(vi2 + 2ad), where vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. This equation is based on the conservation of energy principle, which states that the initial energy of a system must equal the final energy of the system.

2. Can you use the same equation to find final velocity in different scenarios?

Yes, the equation vf = √(vi2 + 2ad) can be used to find final velocity in various scenarios, as long as the initial velocity and energy gained are known. The equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate final velocity in a variety of situations.

3. What is the unit of measurement for final velocity?

The unit of measurement for final velocity is meters per second (m/s). This unit is commonly used to measure the speed or velocity of an object in motion. It represents the distance traveled in meters divided by the time taken to travel that distance in seconds.

4. Are there other ways to calculate final velocity besides using this equation?

Yes, there are other ways to calculate final velocity, depending on the available information and the specific scenario. For example, if the acceleration and time are known, you can use the equation vf = vi + at to find the final velocity. Additionally, if the force and mass of an object are known, you can use the equation vf = √(2Fd/m), where F is the force, d is the distance, and m is the mass of the object.

5. Is it possible to find final velocity without knowing the energy gained?

No, it is not possible to find final velocity without knowing the energy gained. The equation vf = √(vi2 + 2ad) is based on the conservation of energy principle, which means that the energy gained is a necessary component in calculating final velocity. Without this information, the final velocity cannot be accurately determined.