Antiferromagnetism Types: G & A Types Explained

• Thread starter jackanakanory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the conversation discusses different types of antiferromagnetism, specifically A-type and G-type, and their definitions in terms of spin directions in a cubic structure. The conversation also mentions the possibility of other types such as B, C, D, E, and F, but the speaker is only aware of A, C, and G types. The conversation ends with a reference to a book and a specific page on Google Books for more information.
jackanakanory
Hi, I've been reading a lot of journals lately for my dissertation, and I keep reading about certain types of antiferromagnetism. For example, the material I've been reading up on (Bismuth ferrite) is a G-type antiferromagnet and I have also seen A-type referred to in other journals. What does this mean? Google searches have been useless!

Thanks

Jack

Physics news on Phys.org

Please imaging that a 3-D cubic structure with eight lattice point, 1,2,3,4 is the top layer and 5,6,7,8 is the bottom layer. Ignoring the "...", I couldn't type more than 1 space.

A-type means: The direction of spins in the first layer are anti-parallel with that in the second layer. Or say, lattice point 1,2,3,4 is parallel with each other, and 5,6,7,8 is parallel with each other. But 1 is anti-parallel with 5.

G-type means: 1,3,5,7 is parallel and 2,4,6,8 is parallel. But 1 is anti-parallel with 2.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, that makes sense. Is there a name for this notation so i can search to find more information about it? are there b c d e f types too?

I don't know where the information is.

There are only three type in my knowledge.

A type, C type and G type.

You can take a look at the figure attached.
Ref.: Nanoscale phase separation and colossal magnetoresistance by E. Dagotto, Springer-Verlag, Pg. 11.
You can see the page in Google Books

Attachments

• AFM.png
    AFM.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 4,881
Thank you, that is exactly what I was after!

Original reference: Phys. Rev. 100, 545 (1955).

What is antiferromagnetism?

Antiferromagnetism is a type of magnetism where the magnetic moments of atoms or molecules align in a way that cancels out their overall magnetization. This results in a material that does not exhibit any net magnetic field.

What are G-type and A-type antiferromagnetism?

G-type and A-type antiferromagnetism are two different types of antiferromagnetism that describe the specific way in which the magnetic moments align. In G-type, the moments align in a way that is parallel to each other, while in A-type, the moments are antiparallel.

How are G-type and A-type antiferromagnetism different?

The main difference between G-type and A-type antiferromagnetism is the direction of the magnetic moments. In G-type, the moments are aligned in the same direction, while in A-type, they are aligned in opposite directions. This results in different magnetic properties and behaviors for each type.

What materials exhibit G-type and A-type antiferromagnetism?

G-type antiferromagnetism is commonly found in materials with an even number of electrons, such as chromium and iron oxide. A-type antiferromagnetism is more commonly found in materials with an odd number of electrons, such as manganese oxide.

What are the applications of antiferromagnetism?

Antiferromagnetism has various applications in technology, such as in magnetic sensors, spintronics, and data storage devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials at low temperatures and in the development of new materials for use in electronics and other industries.