Nobel Prize in Physics Awarded to Caltech/MIT/UCSB Scientists

In summary, two California physicists and a Massachusetts colleague have been awarded the Nobel Prize in physics for their work in explaining the "strong force" and developing the theory of quantum chromodynamics. The prize will be split between H. David Politzer of Caltech, David J. Gross of UC Santa Barbara, and Frank Wilczek of MIT. This theory explains how quarks behave and was developed in the 1970s.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I didn't see this story posted anywhere.

The Nobel Prize in physics will be shared by two California physicists and a Massachusetts colleague, thanks to their role in explaining the subatomic version of the old saying "distance makes the heart grow fonder. "

H. David Politzer of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena and David J. Gross of UC Santa Barbara will split the $1.3 million prize with Frank Wilczek of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for their 1970s work in explaining what is known as the "strong force," the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences announced Tuesday.

In 1973, they played a key role in developing the "completely new theory" known as quantum chromodynamics, or QCD, which mathematically explains how quarks behave, the academy said. [continued]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/10/06/MNG6294F1O1.DTL

Physics news on Phys.org
The other day I think I saw a guy named Politzer writting something in this forum. Maybe he's a member...

:rofl:

David J. Gross of UC Santa Barbara

Thats my teacher. You gettem prof. Gross! UCSB rules! :biggrin:

Man I can't wait to win one of these :)

You will have a lot of luck if you win a science advisor medal here. That was the dream of my life. I do not need any nobel prize for ever and never.

:rofl:

1. Who were the scientists from Caltech, MIT, and UCSB who won the Nobel Prize in Physics?

The scientists who won the Nobel Prize in Physics from Caltech, MIT, and UCSB are Frances Arnold, George P. Smith, and Gregory P. Winter.

2. What was the research that led to their Nobel Prize win?

Their research focused on the development of directed evolution of enzymes and phage display of peptides and antibodies, which have revolutionized the field of protein engineering and drug development.

3. How did their work impact the scientific community?

Their work has greatly advanced the understanding and manipulation of biological molecules, leading to new and improved therapies for various diseases and medical conditions. It has also opened up new possibilities for creating sustainable and environmentally friendly industrial processes.

4. Is this the first time that these institutions have won the Nobel Prize in Physics?

No, Caltech and MIT have both won the Nobel Prize in Physics multiple times before, while this is the first win for UCSB.

5. What other notable achievements have these scientists made?

Frances Arnold is the first American woman to win the Nobel Prize in Chemistry, while George P. Smith and Gregory P. Winter have both made significant contributions to the field of biotechnology and drug discovery.