Did the Sun go Dark last night?

• Thread starter KartAnimal29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun The sun
In summary, there has been a claim that the sun went dark for about a minute last night, but it seems to be false. Some people have reported experiencing a strange coma-like state during that time, while others believe it was just a regular night. There are videos on YouTube that supposedly show the dark sun, but some are skeptical of their authenticity. Ultimately, there is no solid evidence to support this claim and it is likely just a hoax or misunderstanding.
KartAnimal29
I've been reading this evening that the Sun went Dark last night for just about a min. Is this true or are people just blowing smoke?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

1. Where did you read this?
2. No, it isn't true.

I guess if people blew enough smoke the sun would indeed go dark.

I was at work (outside) last night and all I can say is that there wasn't enough light for me to tell.

The sun was definitely dark here last night.

I think it might have. I found myself in some kind of strange coma last night, where I couldn't move or see and hear anything. When I finally came out of it, the sun was back! They must be related somehow...

Just sacrifice a mayan and no worries.

There is a guy on youtube that has been posting a lot about it. Ya I know youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was called night? It happens every day, unless you are in the extreme north or extreme south.

In all seriousness according to the second video there's half an hour of the image missing, it looks edited just from that, so I'll happily call shenanigans.

Last edited:
Vagn said:
I thought that was called night? It happens every day, unless you are in the extreme north or extreme south.

In all seriousness according to the second video there's half an hour of the image missing, it looks edited just from that, so I'll happily call shenanigans.

It happens every day? Are there any resources that say this? I would love to see them.

ladykrimson said:
It happens every day? Are there any resources that say this? I would love to see them.

I meant night-time :tongue2: Sorry for the confusion.

Vagn said:
I meant night-time :tongue2: Sorry for the confusion.

:rofl:

So is there any explanation about this "sun goes dark" claim? I can't even see what they mean in the videos. To me, it looks like either photoshop work or a computer glitch.

I blame swamp gas and Venus.

I blame solar eclipses.

1. Did the Sun actually go dark last night?

No, the Sun did not go completely dark. It may have appeared dimmer or redder due to atmospheric conditions or an eclipse, but it never completely disappeared.

2. Why did the Sun appear to go dark last night?

The Sun may have appeared to go dark due to an eclipse, which occurs when the Moon passes between the Earth and the Sun, casting a shadow on the Earth. This can cause the Sun to appear dimmer or even completely blocked out for a short period of time.

3. How often does the Sun go dark?

The Sun does not go dark on a regular basis. Eclipses, which are the most common cause of the Sun appearing dark, only occur a few times a year and are only visible in certain parts of the world. Other factors, such as atmospheric conditions, can also affect the appearance of the Sun.

4. Is it dangerous if the Sun goes dark?

No, it is not dangerous if the Sun appears to go dark. As mentioned before, this is usually due to a natural occurrence like an eclipse or atmospheric conditions. However, it is important to never look directly at the Sun, even when it appears dimmer or redder, as it can still cause damage to the eyes.

5. Can we predict when the Sun will go dark?

Yes, we can predict when an eclipse will occur and when the Sun may appear dimmer or redder due to atmospheric conditions. However, unexpected events such as volcanic eruptions or wildfires can also affect the appearance of the Sun.