Initial state of the Universe (order or chaos)

In summary, in a video, Penrose suggests that the Universe was highly organized in its initial state, with a figure of "at least" 10^123 to describe it. The confirmation of this figure or any other figure can be found at http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelco...S/THESPA01.PDF . It is unclear if this has been confirmed or not. The conversation then shifts to discussing the concept of the universe's initial state and the phenomenon of existence. However, the focus remains on verifying Penrose's claims.
revo74
In the following video Penrose states that the Universe was so special and organized at its initial state the figure describing it would be "at least" 10^123.

Begin at 4:50

Has this figure or any other figure been confirmed? Where can I go to find out if this is true or not.

I found this: http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelco...S/THESPA01.PDF [Broken]
Has this been confirmed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
revo74 said:
In the following video Penrose states that the Universe was so special and organized at its initial state the figure describing it would be "at least" 10^123.

Begin at 4:50

Has this figure or any other figure been confirmed? Where can I go to find out if this is true or not.

I found this: http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelco...S/THESPA01.PDF [Broken]
Has this been confirmed?

Why would you presume the universe had an 'initial' state? Do you believe the phenomenon of existence is the result of cause and effect or is cause and effect a function of the phenomenon of existence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Farahday said:
Why would you presume the universe had an 'initial' state? Do you believe the phenomenon of existence is the result of cause and effect or is cause and effect a function of the phenomenon of existence?

Well I tend to lean toward the former, however, at this time I'm just interested in knowing if Penrose's claims are true or not.

1. What is the Big Bang Theory and how does it relate to the initial state of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as an extremely hot and dense singularity and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by various observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements. It is considered to be the initial state of the universe.

2. Was the initial state of the universe chaotic or ordered?

The initial state of the universe is believed to have been extremely chaotic and disordered. The Big Bang Theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity with infinite density and temperature, and as it expanded, it became less chaotic and more ordered. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the overall entropy (or disorder) of the universe is always increasing.

3. How did the initial state of the universe give rise to the formation of galaxies and stars?

The initial state of the universe was filled with energy and particles, which gradually clumped together due to the force of gravity. This resulted in the formation of galaxies and stars, as well as other structures in the universe. As the universe continued to expand and cool, these structures evolved and became more complex.

4. Can we ever know the exact initial state of the universe?

It is impossible for us to know the exact initial state of the universe because it happened over 13 billion years ago and we only have limited information and observations. However, scientists can make educated guesses and theories based on mathematical models and observations of the current state of the universe.

5. How does the initial state of the universe relate to the concept of time?

The initial state of the universe is closely related to the concept of time. The Big Bang Theory suggests that time began at the moment of the Big Bang, and has been constantly moving forward since then. As the universe expands and cools, time also continues to pass. The concept of time is also linked to the second law of thermodynamics, as the increase in entropy is a measure of the passage of time in the universe.