Calculating Bursting Pressure of a Pipe Cap

• Thread starter darkelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of bursting pressure for a pipe cap or end capped pipe. The participants also mentioned the use of a curved cap or flat plate and the difference in stress states between a dished end cap and a hemispherical end cap. Additionally, the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel code and Machinerys Handbook were suggested as resources for finding relevant formulas.
darkelf
Hello,

I'm trying to calculate the bursting pressure of a pipe cap or the end capped pipe. I need to know how much pressure will cause the cap of the pipe to burst or deform.

I have the bursting pressure of the pipe, so its the cap bursting pressure I need to calculate

Here is a crude schematic of what I am referring to, where '=' is the pipe and 'D' is the cap =D

I need to compare if it is better to have a curved cap of if a flat plate would better hold the bursting pressure i.e. =l

Thanks guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
A flat plate holding pressure is also called a diaphram. All the load is carried by bending stiffness so it has to be quite thick.

A dished end cap may have a combination of bending and tension (membrane) stress.

A hemispherical end cap has only membrane stress, so it could be made with a very thin, flexible material. It's relatively easy to find the stress here. It's the same all over it, so just calculate the stress around the connection to the pipe by using stress = F / A where A is the cross-section of the material and F is found from the pressure and area of the circular pipe.

In either case, you'd need to find the 'worst' stress state and compare to the yield stress of the material. Because it's not uni-axial stress, you may need to use a von Mises equivalent stress or something.

http://www.webcivil.com/circslab.aspx

There are also formulas in the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel code for caps. Machinerys Handbook has formulas for loaded plates. Like the last post said, the material will start to yield (deform) at the yield stress and likely fail at the tensile strength.

What is the formula for calculating bursting pressure of a pipe cap?

The formula for calculating bursting pressure of a pipe cap is P = 2St/D, where P is the bursting pressure in PSI, S is the maximum allowable stress of the material in PSI, t is the thickness of the cap in inches, and D is the outside diameter of the cap in inches.

What factors affect the bursting pressure of a pipe cap?

The bursting pressure of a pipe cap is affected by the material strength, thickness of the cap, and the diameter of the cap. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and applied external forces may also affect the bursting pressure.

What are the units of measurement for bursting pressure?

Bursting pressure is typically measured in pounds per square inch (PSI) or kilopascals (kPa). It can also be expressed in other units of pressure such as bar or atmospheres.

How do I determine the maximum allowable stress for a material?

The maximum allowable stress for a material can be found in engineering handbooks or material datasheets. It is typically determined by the yield strength or ultimate tensile strength of the material.

Can I calculate the bursting pressure of a pipe cap without knowing the material's maximum allowable stress?

No, the maximum allowable stress is a crucial factor in the calculation of bursting pressure. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the bursting pressure of a pipe cap.