DC Isolation for 9V Battery - Design Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking to isolate a 9VDC load in an audio circuit to reduce noise interference. They are considering converting the DC to AC, running it through a transformer, and then rectifying it back to 9VDC. They are also seeking help with choosing specific components for the design. A suggestion is made to use the National Semiconductor SimpleSwitcher series and a link is provided for more information. Another suggestion is to use the flyback buck/boost topology for a DIY approach.
Rekinom
HI all, first time poster.

What I'm looking to do is isolate a 9VDC load. Specifically, I've got a 9v battery supply, and need to isolate one of the loads(200ma max). My best guess is to somehow turn it into an AC voltage, run it through a 1:1 toroidal transformer, then rectify it back to the original 9VDC.

This will be used in an audio circuit, and as such a lower noise potential would be ideal.

And to curb questions relating to the project, the reason for doing this is that I have two audio effect circuits, both digital each with theirown clocks, since each one seems to be tying it's ground to both the audio out and the common for the power input, I would like to isolate one of them on the power side. It currently appears that the clocks are combining creating a high frequency whine(in the 5000hz range).

After spending a lot of time on google, I came across this forum, and thought perhaps someone may be able to help me with the design.

I grasp the basic principles, but after digging through Mouser and Jameco, I'm at a loss at to which specific components to use.
I think I have a firm grasp on the isolation and rectifying aspect, but am unsure of the DC to AC conversion on the front end. Using a transistor of some sort? Does it matter what voltage the AC signal is? Will the frequency ultimately matter? Are there some components that will produce less rf or em interference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rekinom said:

What I'm looking to do is isolate a 9VDC load. Specifically, I've got a 9v battery supply, and need to isolate one of the loads(200ma max). My best guess is to somehow turn it into an AC voltage, run it through a 1:1 toroidal transformer, then rectify it back to the original 9VDC.

This will be used in an audio circuit, and as such a lower noise potential would be ideal.

And to curb questions relating to the project, the reason for doing this is that I have two audio effect circuits, both digital each with theirown clocks, since each one seems to be tying it's ground to both the audio out and the common for the power input, I would like to isolate one of them on the power side. It currently appears that the clocks are combining creating a high frequency whine(in the 5000hz range).

After spending a lot of time on google, I came across this forum, and thought perhaps someone may be able to help me with the design.

I grasp the basic principles, but after digging through Mouser and Jameco, I'm at a loss at to which specific components to use.
I think I have a firm grasp on the isolation and rectifying aspect, but am unsure of the DC to AC conversion on the front end. Using a transistor of some sort? Does it matter what voltage the AC signal is? Will the frequency ultimately matter? Are there some components that will produce less rf or em interference?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

The National Semiconductor SimpleSwitcher series should give you what you need:

http://www.national.com/analog/power/simple_switcher

There's a ton of design resources available, and it even looks like there may be some modules available now as well.

They generally run at 57kHz or so, which shouldn't interfere with your audio. If it is a problem, you can use an output voltage of 10-12V, and post regulate with a linear regulator to eliminate the output ripple of the DC-DC converter.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

The National Semiconductor SimpleSwitcher series should give you what you need:

http://www.national.com/analog/power/simple_switcher

There's a ton of design resources available, and it even looks like there may be some modules available now as well.

They generally run at 57kHz or so, which shouldn't interfere with your audio. If it is a problem, you can use an output voltage of 10-12V, and post regulate with a linear regulator to eliminate the output ripple of the DC-DC converter.

Wow, that's perfect, thank you!

Rekinom said:

Thanks!

The above advice to use a ready made product is a good suggestion.

For understanding purposes, and also in case you are adventurous enough to build your own, I've given a link to information about the flyback buck/boost topology which should be a good design approach based on your need to isolate and to have output voltage nearly equal to input voltage. You'll see that the basic circuit topology is very simple. However, the complexity comes in when you try to do the switching control. You need to implement a controller and develop the control algorithm for regulation, limits and proper operation.

http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT%20Kharagpur/Power%20Electronics/PDF/L-22(DP)(PE)%20((EE)NPTEL).pdf

Before you start designing and building: Have you verified wether isolated power supplies will solve your problem? From what you write, you only need a 9V battery to do this test.

berkeman said:
The National Semiconductor SimpleSwitcher series
Fixed. ;)

Perfection said:
Fixed. ;)

Thanks Perfection! I edited my post thanks to your heads-up.

You got rid of my awesome joke :(

1. What is DC isolation for a 9V battery?

DC isolation for a 9V battery refers to the process of separating the direct current (DC) power from the battery in order to prevent any potential electric shock or interference with other electronic devices.

2. Why is DC isolation necessary for a 9V battery?

DC isolation is necessary for a 9V battery because it ensures safety by preventing any unwanted contact with the battery's electrical current. It also helps to prevent any interference with other electronic devices that may be connected to the same power source.

3. How is DC isolation achieved for a 9V battery?

DC isolation for a 9V battery can be achieved through the use of a transformer, which converts the high voltage of the battery to a lower voltage and isolates the DC current. Another method is to use a diode, which allows current to flow in only one direction and isolates the DC power.

4. What are the benefits of using DC isolation for a 9V battery?

The main benefit of using DC isolation for a 9V battery is safety. By isolating the DC power, the risk of electric shock or interference is greatly reduced. Additionally, it can also help to prolong the life of electronic devices by preventing power surges or fluctuations.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using DC isolation for a 9V battery?

One potential drawback of using DC isolation for a 9V battery is that it may add additional cost and complexity to the design of electronic devices. Additionally, if not implemented properly, DC isolation can also cause voltage drops, leading to decreased performance of the device.