Temperature Estimation for Multiple Tanks in Thermal Equilibrium

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a software to estimate temperature in a group of tanks. The initial data includes the final temperature of the tanks when they reach equilibrium, initial temperatures, mass of liquid, and specific heat capacity. The formula used is M1 X C1 X (T1 - X) = M2 X C2 X (X - T2) to calculate the final temperature, but the software also needs to display the temperature at each time interval. To do this, a variable can be used in the formula. The conversation also mentions using a heat loss factor to estimate heat loss, which can be done by considering factors such as surface area and insulation materials.
sandeepbwes
Greetings everyone:

I am trying to create a software for estimating temperature for a liquid in a group of tanks lying side by side touching each other in a span of 24 hours. The initial data with me is:
X THE FINAL TEMPERATURE OF THE TWO TANKS WHEN THEY COME INTO EQUILIBRIUM
T1 and T2 - Initial Temperature in Celsius where T1 > T2
Mass of liquid in two tanks (assuming they are equal) M1 and M2 in Metric Tonnes
Specific Heat Capacity C1 and C2 in J/Ton C.
I have used used conduction method- M1 X C1 X (T1 - X) = M2 X C2 X (X - T2). Now this is giving me X Degree Celsius which is the final temperature of two tanks when thermal equilibrium is reached. However I need to display (using software) temperature at each time intervals, starting from initial 0 to the time when equilibrium is reached and both tanks have X Degree Celsius.

I know I need to use heat loss factor. But how to go about it?

Attachments

• PHYSICSFORUM-THERMO.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 213
Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you are working on an interesting and important problem. Estimating temperature in tanks can be challenging, especially when there are multiple tanks involved.

To address your question about displaying temperature at each time interval, you can use the formula you mentioned (M1 X C1 X (T1 - X) = M2 X C2 X (X - T2)) to calculate the temperature at each time interval. The only difference is that instead of using X as the final temperature, you can use a variable (let's call it T) to represent the temperature at each time interval. This way, you can calculate the temperature at each time interval and display it in your software.

As for the heat loss factor, you can consider factors such as the surface area of the tanks, the insulation material used, and the surrounding temperature to estimate the heat loss. You can also refer to literature or consult with experts in the field for more accurate estimations.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your project. Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1. What is temperature variation?

Temperature variation refers to the change in temperature over a period of time in a particular location or region.

2. How is temperature variation measured?

Temperature variation is measured using a thermometer or other temperature-sensing devices such as data loggers or weather stations. These devices record the temperature at specific intervals and can provide data on temperature variation.

3. What factors contribute to temperature variation?

There are many factors that can contribute to temperature variation, including air pressure, wind patterns, humidity, and the amount of sunlight reaching a particular area. Human activities, such as the burning of fossil fuels, can also contribute to temperature variation.

4. Why is it important to study temperature variation?

Studying temperature variation can help us understand the effects of climate change, predict weather patterns, and inform agricultural practices. It can also provide valuable information for industries such as energy and transportation.

5. How can we deduce temperature variation?

Temperature variation can be deduced by analyzing temperature data collected over time and looking for patterns or trends. This can be done using statistical methods and climate models. Scientists also use satellite imagery and other remote sensing techniques to study temperature variation on a larger scale.