Solving Tony's 400 Suction Cup Project

• Thread starter klipo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suction
In summary, Tony is seeking help with his project that requires 400 suction cups, each with the ability to lift 15 grams for 10 seconds and be controlled by a computer. He is considering using 400 solenoid valves, but is open to alternative solutions. He is looking for information and assistance in implementing his project.
klipo
Hi everyone!
I am not sure if I am posting in right place, please correct me if needed.
I have an interesting project in my mind. And I need some help as I do not know how to implement it.
I need 400 suction cups and all of them have to be working independently.
Cups are supposed to be quite small (7-8mm in diameter). Kind of http://www.anver.com/images/components/f7-si.jpg".
Each cup has to lift a weight of ~15 grams (~0.5 ounces). It lifts like for 10 seconds and then releases.
They all have to be controlled by computer. And each of them has to be operated individually.
I was thinking of using 400 solenoids. But they appear to be not very cheap. Besides I do not know what other details are needed to be able to control them by computer.
Probably there is a better solution than solenoids. Maybe single big volume vacuum engine, and every suction cup controlled by valve.
I will be thankful for any information and help.
Regards,
Tony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could consider manifold solenoid valves. If you want to control each suction cup independently, you will need 400 valves. You would then need a PLC with 400 I/Os.

You could reduce your hardware if you group the suction cups. Could you run 10 per bank? This would reduce your valve and I/O count to 40.

1. What is the purpose of Tony's 400 Suction Cup Project?

The purpose of Tony's 400 Suction Cup Project is to create a device that uses suction cups to attach to surfaces and provide a strong grip. This can be used for various purposes such as holding objects in place or for climbing up vertical surfaces.

2. How does the device work?

The device works by creating a vacuum seal between the suction cups and the surface it is attached to. When air is removed from the space between the suction cup and the surface, it creates a low pressure area, causing the suction cup to stick firmly to the surface.

3. What materials are needed for the project?

The materials needed for the project include 400 suction cups, a base material for the device, a vacuum pump, and tubing to connect the suction cups to the pump. Optional materials may include adhesive to secure the suction cups to the base material and a power source for the vacuum pump.

4. Can the device hold heavy objects?

The device is designed to hold objects up to a certain weight, depending on the strength of the suction cups and the surface it is attached to. It is important to test the device with different weights to determine its maximum capacity and ensure safety.

5. How can the device be improved?

There are various ways to improve the device, such as using stronger suction cups, optimizing the design of the base material, or adding features like adjustable suction cup positions. Conducting experiments and gathering feedback from users can also help identify areas for improvement.