Is this Peltier CPU cooling fan the answer to my overheating problems?

In summary, The peltier Beer cooler is a large, copper-based fan that can be mounted on a heatsink and used to cool a processor. It is said to be able to dissipate up to 100W, and can be controlled with a fan combo.
Saint
ever saw this one?

:rofl:
coolingfan.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
Saint said:
ever saw this one?

:rofl:
coolingfan.jpg
saint, that is for the dual core P4s coming out, but that was just a prototype, the coolers will not be that huge.

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I bought one a couple of weeks ago as described in the Peltier Beer thread. That looks to be THIS hsf but with a big fairing and 2 fans instead of one. Notice the copper heat pipe peaking out from under the fairing.

I don't have it mounted on my PC, and I'm not sure if will - but it does a heckuva job cooling that peltier.

russ_watters said:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, I bought one a couple of weeks ago as described in the Peltier Beer thread. That looks to be THIS hsf but with a big fairing and 2 fans instead of one. Notice the copper heat pipe peaking out from under the fairing.

I don't have it mounted on my PC, and I'm not sure if will - but it does a heckuva job cooling that peltier.

I don't think your going to have good luck with that if it doesn't dissapate more heat than the backside of that pelt dissapates, you might want to check it out.

I've only done some pretty basic experimentation, but it does cool a heatsink on the cold side below freezing. I'll post some pics in that other thread this weekend.

russ_watters said:
I've only done some pretty basic experimentation, but it does cool a heatsink on the cold side below freezing. I'll post some pics in that other thread this weekend.
what is the wattage on the pelt and the wattage dissapation per hour on that heatsink.fan combo?

alexkerhead said:
what is the wattage on the pelt and the wattage dissapation per hour on that heatsink.fan combo?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4660&item=3847042208&rd=1 is the peltier I'm using. I don't have a performance curve for it and I didn't measure the amperage it was drawing, but it was taking 11v from a 12v power supply - the power supply couldn't keep up. I'm guessing that it was drawing 7-8A, so about 80-90W. I tested it with the cold side hsf fan both on and off. With it off (and therefore ony sucking a few watts in) it was below freezing, though I'm not sure how much because my thermocouple quit at freezing. All the fins frosted over though. So figure in that condition, the big hsf was dissipating 100W or so. And the hot side of the peltier only got up to about 125F, so dissipating 100W wasn't a problem for that hsf. I'll see if I can get some better numbers (maybe tomorrow)

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4660&item=3847042208&rd=1 is the peltier I'm using. I don't have a performance curve for it and I didn't measure the amperage it was drawing, but it was taking 11v from a 12v power supply - the power supply couldn't keep up. I'm guessing that it was drawing 7-8A, so about 80-90W. I tested it with the cold side hsf fan both on and off. With it off (and therefore ony sucking a few watts in) it was below freezing, though I'm not sure how much because my thermocouple quit at freezing. All the fins frosted over though. So figure in that condition, the big hsf was dissipating 100W or so. And the hot side of the peltier only got up to about 125F, so dissipating 100W wasn't a problem for that hsf. I'll see if I can get some better numbers (maybe tomorrow)
that sounds like you are going to have a happy happy processor.
I may also look into one of thos pelts.
you will need an extra PSU or a bigger PSU to operate that pelt.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Peltier CPU cooling fan?

A Peltier CPU cooling fan is a specialized cooling device that uses the Peltier effect to transfer heat away from a computer's central processing unit (CPU). This effect is achieved through the use of a thermoelectric module, which consists of two different types of semiconductor materials that are connected together. When an electrical current is applied to the module, heat is absorbed from one side and transferred to the other, resulting in a cooling effect.

2. How does a Peltier CPU cooling fan work?

A Peltier CPU cooling fan works by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is based on the principle that when an electrical current is applied to a thermoelectric module, it causes one side of the module to become hot and the other side to become cold. The hot side absorbs heat from the CPU, while the cold side dissipates the heat into the surrounding environment. This allows for efficient cooling of the CPU without the need for traditional cooling methods such as fans or liquid cooling.

3. Is a Peltier CPU cooling fan effective in reducing overheating?

Yes, a Peltier CPU cooling fan can be very effective in reducing overheating problems. This is because the Peltier effect allows for direct transfer of heat away from the CPU, resulting in more efficient cooling compared to traditional methods. However, the effectiveness of a Peltier CPU cooling fan also depends on factors such as the size and power of the fan, as well as the overall design and ventilation of the computer system.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Peltier CPU cooling fan?

While a Peltier CPU cooling fan can be very effective, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. Firstly, these fans can be more expensive than traditional cooling methods. Additionally, they can generate a significant amount of heat on the hot side of the thermoelectric module, which may require additional cooling measures to prevent overheating in other components of the computer. It is also important to note that Peltier CPU cooling fans are not suitable for all types of computer systems and may not be compatible with certain CPUs or motherboards.

5. Is a Peltier CPU cooling fan easy to install?

The ease of installation for a Peltier CPU cooling fan can vary depending on the specific model and design. Some Peltier cooling fans may require more technical knowledge and skill to install, while others may be relatively simple to set up. It is important to carefully read the installation instructions and follow all safety precautions when installing a Peltier CPU cooling fan to ensure proper functioning and to avoid any potential damage to the computer or its components.