Listing the elements of a symmetry group of a frieze pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a frieze pattern F with horizontal and glide reflective symmetry, but lacking 180 degree rotation and vertical reflective symmetry. The symmetry group G for F is composed of reflection and translational symmetries, with the mirror of the reflection parallel to the vector of the translation. The elements of G include translations, glide reflections, horizontal reflections, and the identity.
JohnMcBetty
I have run into a problem where I have a frieze pattern F, the frieze pattern has horizontal refelctive symmetry, glide reflective symmetry, but does not have 180 degree rotation and does not have vertical reflective symmetry.

G represents the symmetry group for F. G={reflection symmetry, translational symmetry} and the mirror of the reflection is parallel to the vector of the translation. Hence a glide reflection with the translation composed with the reflection.

I now have to list the elements of G, not exactly sure what to do at that point. Can anybody help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
this sounds like the "jump" frieze group, which is isomorphic to Z x Z2, and generated by
the horizontal translation (1,0) and the horizontal reflection (0,1). a glide reflection is of the form (k,1). as with any frieze group it is infinite, but we have basically 4 types of symmetries:

(k,0), a translation
(k,1), a glide reflection
(0,1), the horizontal reflection
(0,0), the identity.

1. What is a frieze pattern?

A frieze pattern is a decorative design that consists of repetitive elements, often used in architecture or art.

2. What is a symmetry group?

A symmetry group is a set of symmetries or transformations that can be applied to an object or pattern, resulting in an unchanged appearance.

3. How many elements are in a symmetry group of a frieze pattern?

The number of elements in a symmetry group of a frieze pattern can vary, but it is always finite and can range from a few to infinitely many.

4. What are the different types of symmetry in a frieze pattern?

There are three types of symmetry commonly found in frieze patterns: translation, reflection, and rotation. These symmetries can occur individually or in combination with each other.

5. How can listing the elements of a symmetry group help in understanding a frieze pattern?

Listing the elements of a symmetry group can help in identifying the patterns and symmetries present in a frieze pattern, as well as predicting possible transformations and repetitions. This can aid in analyzing and creating similar patterns.