Defining the electric current.

In summary, the conversation revolves around clarifying the definition of electric current and addressing some confusion regarding the use of variables. The individual is seeking help in understanding the concept and is looking for clarification on the role of variables such as n and \Delta L. The conversation also mentions a previous summary made on a lecture discussing the Hertzian dipole antenna and the individual's attempt to understand the lecturer's explanation.
AS28
Hello.
I have attached a file containing a detailed question regarding the definition of the electric current. I'll be glad if someone can help me clarify this issue.

Attachments

• question.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org
A is an area, so it can't be 1 divided by a length. You seem to be forgetting n and the fact that it isn't dimensionless.

willem2 said:
A is an area, so it can't be 1 divided by a length. You seem to be forgetting n and the fact that it isn't dimensionless.

Well, the problem is that I have read the summary I made for one of the lectures discussing the Hertzian dipole antenna, and [tex]\Delta L[/tex] just appeared the way I wrote it in the attached file. In fact, I clearly noticed what you had written before posting this message/thread, but I still try to figure out if I can define n or [tex]\Delta L[/tex] in different dimensions to get a correct expression for the electric current (I simply forgot to write some details down during the lecture and therefore now I try to understand what the lecturer meant..).
So what else could [tex]\Delta L[/tex] represent if I rule out the possibility of a length element?

What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or medium.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter.

What factors affect the strength of an electric current?

The strength of an electric current is affected by the voltage, resistance, and type of conductor or medium.

What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current flows in one direction, while alternating current periodically reverses direction.

How is electric current used in everyday life?

Electric current is used in a wide range of applications, such as powering electronic devices, lighting homes and buildings, and running appliances and machinery.