Titration of unknown acid in lab, how to determine molar mass?

In summary: The volume of titration is 25ml + 7.5ml, not 25ml + 0.100L of acid. Not sure where you are getting this idea that the V2 has to be 25ml.
redioactif
Hi,

Homework Statement

It is in my chemistry lab course. I had 0.1g of an unknown solid that I diluted in 100ml of distilled water. Then, I took 25ml and titrated it with NaOH (Concentration = 0.0189M). To reach equivalent point (the point where concentration of NaOH is equal to the concentration of my unknown IN THE SOLUTION), it took 7.5ml of NaOH.

Homework Equations

C1V1=C2V2
M=n/V , where n is number of moles, and V is volume of solution in liter.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I did C1V1=C2V2.
C1= 0.0189M V1=7.5ml C2=? V2=32.5ml (25ml + 7.5ml)
I then get C2=0.00436.

When I solve of n (in M=n/V) and then do grams/moles to get molar mass, I get a molar mass that is impossible, or waay off... So I'm not sure anymore if I am approching this correctly...Is my V2 correct? How about the V I take for M=n/V, is it 0.100L (initial volume at which I diluted the solid).

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: This is my first post on this forum, and it seems really a great forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
redioactif said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

It is in my chemistry lab course. I had 0.1g of an unknown solid that I diluted in 100ml of distilled water. Then, I took 25ml and titrated it with NaOH (Concentration = 0.0189M). To reach equivalent point (the point where concentration of NaOH is equal to the concentration of my unknown IN THE SOLUTION), it took 7.5ml of NaOH.

Homework Equations

C1V1=C2V2
M=n/V , where n is number of moles, and V is volume of solution in liter.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I did C1V1=C2V2.
C1= 0.0189M V1=7.5ml C2=? V2=32.5ml (25ml + 7.5ml)
I then get C2=0.00436.

When I solve of n (in M=n/V) and then do grams/moles to get molar mass, I get a molar mass that is impossible, or waay off... So I'm not sure anymore if I am approching this correctly...Is my V2 correct? How about the V I take for M=n/V, is it 0.100L (initial volume at which I diluted the solid).

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: This is my first post on this forum, and it seems really a great forum!

I don't think your V2 value is right, as you are only titrating 25 ml at the start. Also don't forget that the 25 ml is not the complete sample.

OK. If I put my V2 to 25ml, it gives an answer that makes a lot of sens.
However, I don't understand the logic behind it. I mean, the final volume of titration is NOT 25ml, but rather 25ml + 7.5 ml. The initial concnetration of NaOH that I have is for 7.5ml, but as we add that 7.5 to 25, it gets diluted, and the final volume would not be 25...
Can someone please help me understand this, or is my reasoning completley wrong?

redioactif said:
OK. If I put my V2 to 25ml, it gives an answer that makes a lot of sens.
However, I don't understand the logic behind it. I mean, the final volume of titration is NOT 25ml, but rather 25ml + 7.5 ml. The initial concnetration of NaOH that I have is for 7.5ml, but as we add that 7.5 to 25, it gets diluted, and the final volume would not be 25...
Can someone please help me understand this, or is my reasoning completley wrong?

The base (NaOH) is only in the 7.5 ml sample, isn't it. There is no additional base in the sample of 25 ml that you made up to titrate against this.

No there isn't. I had 25ml of acid only.

I added 7.5ml to reach equivalence point in the titration.

Apparently, my V2 has to be 25ml, but I don't understand why: shouldn't the final volume should include the added NaOH volume + the acid volume (25 + 7.5) ? I'm really confused!

1. What is the purpose of titration in determining molar mass of an unknown acid?

The purpose of titration is to accurately measure the volume of a known concentration of a base that is needed to completely neutralize a known volume of the unknown acid. This allows for the calculation of the molar mass of the unknown acid using the equation Molarity x Volume = Moles.

2. How do you choose the appropriate indicator for titration?

The appropriate indicator should have a color change that occurs at the same pH as the equivalence point of the titration. This can be determined by conducting a trial titration with a small amount of the unknown acid and different indicators and noting the color change at the equivalence point.

3. What precautions should be taken during the titration process?

It is important to accurately measure and record the volumes of the acid and base used, as well as the pH at each point during the titration. The burette and other equipment should be properly calibrated and rinsed with the solutions being used. It is also important to perform the titration slowly and carefully to avoid over-titration.

4. How many trials should be conducted for accurate results?

At least three trials should be conducted to ensure accurate results. The results should be consistent and within a close range. If there is a large discrepancy between the trials, more trials should be conducted.

5. Can the molar mass of an unknown acid be determined with any base or only a specific one?

The molar mass of an unknown acid can be determined using any strong base, as long as the base and acid react in a 1:1 ratio. However, it is recommended to use a base with a known molarity to increase the accuracy of the results.