Solving Quartic Equation using Derivative

• Thread starter asd1249jf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, x^4 + 3x^3 - 7x^2 - 15x + 18 = 0. Mark44 found one root using synthetic division immediately. Neither the derivatives give you information about the shape of the curve, but try factoring. If you have no luck with the rational root theorem, you can try the cubic or the Ferrari formula.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

[itex]
x^4 + 3x^3 - 7x^2 - 15x + 18 = 0
[/itex]

Find x

Homework Equations

First Derivative?
Second Derivative?

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally, I'd use Ferrari's method to tackle this problem but I am required to use derivation to find the answer...

Where do I go from here? Do I use first derivative to find critical points? second derivative for concavity? I'm not sure what those will be helpful for though..

Physics news on Phys.org
l46kok said:

Homework Statement

[itex]
x^4 + 3x^3 - 7x^2 - 15x + 18 = 0
[/itex]

Find x

Homework Equations

First Derivative?
Second Derivative?
Neither. The derivatives give you information about the shape of the curve, but not about x intercepts. Try factoring. I found one root using synthetic division immediately.
l46kok said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally, I'd use Ferrari's method to tackle this problem but I am required to use derivation to find the answer...

Where do I go from here? Do I use first derivative to find critical points? second derivative for concavity? I'm not sure what those will be helpful for though..

Mark44 is right, of course. The trick is to try and factor it. To help with that guessing game you should look at the rational roots theorem. Any rational root must be an integer divisor of 18.

And if you have no luck with the rational root theorem...

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/QuarticFormula.html

Last edited by a moderator:
gb7nash said:
And if you have no luck with the rational root theorem...

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/QuarticFormula.html

That's the Ferrari formula i46kok was talking about in the first post. Have you EVER tried to use it in a practical problem? It's absolutely horrid. :) It may as well not even exist. And the cubic isn't much better. You were joking, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:
That's the Ferrari formula i46kok was talking about in the first post. Have you EVER tried to use it in a practical problem? It's absolutely horrid. :) It may as well not even exist. And the cubic isn't much better. You were joking, right?

Yeah, it's a last ditch effort :smile: When I was taking algebra, my professor made us turn it into a depressed/reduced quartic, and manipulate it and solve it as shown on this page:

http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac12/fac12.html

Now that's horrid. But yeah, both methods are atrocious. One little arithmetic mistake and you're screwed.

1. How do you solve a quartic equation using derivatives?

To solve a quartic equation using derivatives, you can follow the following steps:

• 1. Find the derivative of the quartic equation.
  • 2. Set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the roots.
  • 3. Plug the roots back into the original equation to find the corresponding y-values.
  • 4. Use the information found in step 3 to sketch the graph of the quartic equation.

2. What is the importance of finding the derivative in solving quartic equations?

The derivative of a quartic equation gives us information about the slope of the curve at various points. This information is crucial in finding the maximum and minimum values of the equation, which are necessary in solving quartic equations.

3. Can a quartic equation have more than four roots?

Yes, a quartic equation can have up to four distinct roots. However, some of these roots may be repeated, resulting in fewer than four distinct roots.

4. What is the relationship between the roots of a quartic equation and its graph?

The roots of a quartic equation correspond to the x-intercepts of its graph. This means that when you solve a quartic equation, you are essentially finding the x-values at which the graph of the equation crosses the x-axis.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solving quartic equations using derivatives?

Yes, there are some common techniques that can make solving quartic equations using derivatives easier. One such technique is using the Rational Root Theorem to identify potential rational roots, which can help in finding the derivative and solving the equation. Another technique is using the symmetry of quartic equations to reduce the number of calculations needed to find the derivative and solve the equation.