How Far Will You Go to Fit In? The Science of Conformity and Social Acceptance

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fit
In summary, people who are "cool" or socially acceptable, often do things that are not necessarily in their own interests or that they may not be the most interested in.
zoobyshoe
Before you object and declare that you NEVER go out of your way to be "cool" or socially acceptable, think twice. You may be enough on the nerdy side that you'd never get a piercing or tattoo, but, in the pursuit of that nerdiness, say, have you never bought a piece of technology or a program that you felt was necessary to keep up with the geeks in your circle?

Everyone has a crowd they identify with which usually requires some effort for membership, to signal to others of the same kind you're one of them.

I happen to know a lot of lesbians, for example, and find that a large percentage of them do, indeed, wear their hair on the short side, and they tend to pick styles of short hair that de-feminize them. I think that's kind of a sacrifice for the sake of telegraphing their sexuality to others.

In my thread on the "F" word some admitted they don't use it unless around others who do. That's another example.

I don't remember exactly when it was, but something like 8 or 9 years ago when I was already in my late forties I discovered that EVERYONE else in the world seemed to be involved in this bizarre fad activity that I had no interest in. It came up so often in conversation without me being able to participate that I began to feel like ignorant hairy animal living in a brush shelter in the woods for all I knew about it.

And so, at great expense and much greater trouble I buckled down and set to work figuring out how to get on to "The Internet".

My motivation was nothing but the desire to not fall behind, to be able to get what people were saying when they talked about it. So, I have to say I am probably willing to go relatively far for the sake of fitting in, despite not thinking of myself as prone to fads.

In a like vein, a few weeks ago I sat and watched several Lady Gaga videos just so I'd know what the hell the references meant.

What's your story? Confess how far you've gone just to fit in.

Physics news on Phys.org
A majority of my friends are "progressives" and when they go spouting off their nonsensical BS, to fit in I try to pretend like what they are saying makes as much sense as a cat swimming across the Atlantic.

Pengwuino said:
A majority of my friends are "progressives" and when they go spouting off their nonsensical BS, to fit in I try to pretend like what they are saying makes as much sense as a cat swimming across the Atlantic.

What's a "progressive"?

(I must know so I'll fit in with those who understand the term.)

I don't try to fit in. I was done with that phase after I graduated from high school.

I never did fit in, partly because my folks moved about every two years, until we migrated from Australia to the US. We lived in one house for about 7 years, so I knew some kids from 4th to 10th grade, then we moved again, then I was off to college. I spent more time alone than with any group for friends. I did my own thing.

i tried to deny my love for physics and nature. i think i was the worst person i new for trying to fit in. i did drugs and alcohol, even though i knew i couldn't handle it and hated it and studied fashion as a career when i knew it was just a hobby. It all just made me miserable and took me down a bad path. but never again I've learned my lesson. haha :)

Being 'cool' is a relative thing. But, if you are intent on staying in one place, then getting to know the locals won't hurt.

It's tough to say because a lot of it is subconscious influences. More than anything I end up doing things I don't enjoy doing, in the pursuit of hanging out with my friends.

I should add that every time I get to go to the bars with my GF's friends and/or coworkers, I have to be about 75% fake just to fit in.

KingNothing said:
I should add that every time I get to go to the bars with my GF's friends and/or coworkers, I have to be about 75% fake just to fit in.
Wow. :uhh:

I've spent so much of my life trying to hide my intelligence and nerdiness to fit in with society that I no longer realize when I am doing it, and I am one of those ppl that think they never do it :biggrin:

I tend to hide my knowledge and interest in science too.
Just so I'm not confronted with a lack of interest, or to be put beforehand into a nerd category. :)

It's only here on PF and sometimes among colleagues that I do share my love for science.

Last edited:
One of my favorite hobbies is acting completely out of touch with the situation.

Like around "ghetto" people or "thugs" I know, I love talking as formal as I can and talking about math, science, opera, classical music, literature. It's fun to watch them squirm/get awkward.

I love doing that. But do you know what I find the funniest about the whole thing though? More often than not, the real "thugs" that I start talking about "high class" things with have an honest interest in it. They'll open up when I start talking about it.

I was with a friend's house in the projects in Richmond smoking (marijuana) with him and a few friends of mine. Now it's a black dude who's living in the projects in Richmond. He carries a (illegal) handgun with him, and used to sell crack. Anyway, he obviously talks a little different and about different things. But I remember we were smoking and I went on this one rant. I forget what it was, but it was something with science. I was using all real/formal terms. He actually got pretty into it and we had a nice discussion. He actually loosened up and although he still talked with some slang, we had a nice discussion.

I also remember talking to another "thug" about how awesome Mozart is and about all our favorite classical pieces.

Honestly, there is a huge stigma against a lot of blacks/latinos about being interested in "high class" subjects. But really think about it, science is awesome. So are classical music/literature/math. Next time you meet a "thug", try talking to them about science or literature. Don't change how you talk, just talk how you would to anyone else and talk to them about your interests. You might be pleasantly surprised.

And I don't use "thug" as a term for blacks. I use it as a term for a stereotype of blacks...you know, "thugs".

HeLiXe said:
I've spent so much of my life trying to hide my intelligence and nerdiness to fit in with society that I no longer realize when I am doing it, and I am one of those ppl that think they never do it :biggrin:
Well - don't hide it here!

We encourage intelligence and nerdiness. :biggrin:

blade123 said:
One of my favorite hobbies is acting completely out of touch with the situation.

Like around "ghetto" people or "thugs" I know, I love talking as formal as I can and talking about math, science, opera, classical music, literature. It's fun to watch them squirm/get awkward.
Uh huh.

Next time you meet a "thug", try talking to them about science or literature. Don't change how you talk, just talk how you would to anyone else and talk to them about your interests. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I see you're pulling the double faux pas on us here. Keep the act up.

zoobyshoe said:
In a like vein, a few weeks ago I sat and watched several Lady Gaga videos just so I'd know what the hell the references meant.
Eeek! How did I miss this before? Can this be considered self injury?!
I like Serena said:
Just so I'm not confronted with a lack of interest, or to be put beforehand into a nerd category. :)
I know what you mean -_- In high school I was considered "cool" to a certain extent, when in class everyone would want to cheat from me, which led to conflict because I would not comply, and the teachers would not move me to a safe spot :tongue2: because they said I needed to help my classmates etc:rolleyes: Classmates who do not care to learn but want to graduate anyway. I think some of them used to come to school just for the lunch:tongue2:
Astronuc said:
Well - don't hide it here!

We encourage intelligence and nerdiness. :biggrin:

Well the problem Astronuc, I've hidden it so long, I think I've even hidden it from myself -_-

annikax said:
i tried to deny my love for physics and nature. i think i was the worst person i new for trying to fit in. i did drugs and alcohol, even though i knew i couldn't handle it and hated it and studied fashion as a career when i knew it was just a hobby. It all just made me miserable and took me down a bad path. but never again I've learned my lesson. haha :)
Did you ever find a group of like minded people in real life where you could be more yourself? I know there are networks of geek-types, even outside colleges.
Willowz said:
Being 'cool' is a relative thing. But, if you are intent on staying in one place, then getting to know the locals won't hurt.
Any stories?
KingNothing said:
It's tough to say because a lot of it is subconscious influences. More than anything I end up doing things I don't enjoy doing, in the pursuit of hanging out with my friends.

I really have to work myself up to just being moderately sociable in some cases. I'm always sifting through, looking for the people I am actually interested in without effort.
HeLiXe said:
That's the thing: people are doing it from the get go, in ways they've lost sight of.
I like Serena said:

It's only here on PF and sometimes among colleagues that I do share my love for science.
This then is really what I'm getting at: how far would you go to fit in here? I once realized several years back I wouldn't understand a guy's post unless I read a whole book. (Actually, it was broader than that; I wouldn't understand any post on the subject unless I read the book.) So, yeah, I read it.

blade123 said:
Honestly, there is a huge stigma against a lot of blacks/latinos about being interested in "high class" subjects. But really think about it, science is awesome. So are classical music/literature/math. Next time you meet a "thug", try talking to them about science or literature. Don't change how you talk, just talk how you would to anyone else and talk to them about your interests. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Very cool story. I find that being able to draw gets me into all places, but I would never have thought being frank about your academic interests would be an "in" with gangstas. It says so much about where they'd rather be, and suggests it would be possible to redirect their energies. Thanks for that story.

HeLiXe said:
Eeek! How did I miss this before? Can this be considered self injury?!
I simply ask myself, "What would Feynman do?" He would have watched.

I don't know how hard I try to "fit in". I wear T-shirts and jeans, grow vegetables, and split wood for winter heat. I help neighbors whenever I can, and they reciprocate. In college, I had long hair, pocket protectors (actually to protect my pocket!) and had a large K+E sliderule in a belt-case most every day. Hippie geek who played music at frat parties on weekends...

I thought fitting in is what makes us humans.

zoobyshoe said:
That's the thing: people are doing it from the get go, in ways they've lost sight of.

Yep, not to go on about it, but I started this in elementary school, because they sent me to a gifted school for three days out of the week and "normal" school for two days out of the week. In elementary school you cannot hide your intelligence really, because you are always in the highest reading group and sometimes the teacher let's you grade papers or help other students to learn reading/spelling/math/etc. So in this case all I could do was hide my love for the "intelligent things" i.e. hide my nerdiness. This is not as easy as it sounds because you have to study other people. many other people, and see what it is that makes you different from the collective. I remember categorizing personality types LOL in my own way (not the Jung-Meyers 13). And adjusting my interactions with individuals according to the category I associated them with. Surprisingly it always worked.

As an example of dealing with the collective, I noticed collectively that people did not remember every single thing like I did. They would forget where a crayon was, or forget that they let someone borrow a pencil, etc. I also noticed that people were quite surprised when I asked them for the pencil I lent them a day or two after I let them borrow it. So I began to pretend as if I forgot, and realized they would lose the pencil again, ask me or someone else for a pencil again, and everything was "normal." LOL Funny to remember this :D

zoobyshoe said:
I simply ask myself, "What would Feynman do?" He would have watched.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
There is a market for WWFD bracelets! Oh wait I just checked and someone else is manufacturing WWFD bracelets.

rootX said:
I thought fitting in is what makes us humans.

Yeah, but I balk at tattoos. In the past signals of group membership were temporary, reversible. Things are different now: younger people have started getting permanent emblems.

This has set me to pondering how far everyone goes in their respective circle. How much do gamers spend on their games, simply to be current with all the other gamers? That sort of thing.

In my opening post I was trying to invite confessions like: "I once spent $400.00 on a (insert thing here) because all my friends had one and were constantly talking about it."

HeLiXe said:
Yep, not to go on about it, but I started this in elementary school, because they sent me to a gifted school for three days out of the week and "normal" school for two days out of the week. In elementary school you cannot hide your intelligence really, because you are always in the highest reading group and sometimes the teacher let's you grade papers or help other students to learn reading/spelling/math/etc. So in this case all I could do was hide my love for the "intelligent things" i.e. hide my nerdiness. This is not as easy as it sounds because you have to study other people. many other people, and see what it is that makes you different from the collective. I remember categorizing personality types LOL in my own way (not the Jung-Meyers 13). And adjusting my interactions with individuals according to the category I associated them with. Surprisingly it always worked.

As an example of dealing with the collective, I noticed collectively that people did not remember every single thing like I did. They would forget where a crayon was, or forget that they let someone borrow a pencil, etc. I also noticed that people were quite surprised when I asked them for the pencil I lent them a day or two after I let them borrow it. So I began to pretend as if I forgot, and realized they would lose the pencil again, ask me or someone else for a pencil again, and everything was "normal." LOL Funny to remember this :D
Great story! This would be a hilarious segment in a movie: Prolog: Helixe infiltrates "The Collective".
HeLiXe said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
There is a market for WWFD bracelets! Oh wait I just checked and someone else is manufacturing WWFD bracelets.
Hah Ha! I wouldn't wear a bracelet though. Maybe a button. There's a surprising number of people on the street who'd get it.

zoobyshoe said:
Great story! This would be a hilarious segment in a movie: Prolog: Helixe infiltrates "The Collective".
:rofl: Only if I'm depicted as one of those sage-like children...like the golden child or some sort of characterization with a colorful New Age backdrop:biggrin:.

Thanks for saying that tho...after I posted it I was like :uhh:abnormal alert!
zoobyshoe said:
Hah Ha! I wouldn't wear a bracelet though. Maybe a button.
I think maybe a t-shirt is best :D

Why in the world would you want to do that?
Haha I ask myself "What would Feynman do?" too!

zoobyshoe said:
What's your story? Confess how far you've gone just to fit in.

I wouldn't say that I've gone out of my way to fit in with a particular group, but I did experiment with different fits in order to discover my own identity. There were sides of me and talents that I didn't know I had until they were coaxed out through various interactions. But my mother was [is] a rebel and my father was a troublemaker. Worrying about fitting in wasn't in the genes.

That said, I have often wondered what really drives young men to do the things they do. No doubt in my mind a lot of craziness is driven by sexual desires, and in that sense I always wanted to "fit in" [nyuck nyuck nyuck] I was willing to damn near kill myself if I thought it would help. Yep, the 240Z [and the MG Midget] was the best purchase I ever made. And it was a good car too. :biggrin:

Willowz said:
Uh huh.

I see you're pulling the double faux pas on us here. Keep the act up.

I said that I enjoy acting out of touch with the situation. I was telling the reader to not change how they act to fit the situation. There is no contradiction.

And sometimes acting yourself IS acting out of touch with the situation. :p

I was always very quiet. At around the age of three I realized that people (other kids) would make fools of themselves just to get attention.

I was the opposite, I was sure I knew the answer but didn't want to make a fool of myself, so I decided to remain quiet. This is how I acted in society, I let people make fools of themselves and said nothing.

It wasn't until I started working that I realized just how stupid people were and that just speaking my mind put me leagues above the rest.

zoobyshoe said:
Very cool story. I find that being able to draw gets me into all places, but I would never have thought being frank about your academic interests would be an "in" with gangstas. It says so much about where they'd rather be, and suggests it would be possible to redirect their energies. Thanks for that story.

No problem haha

I think it's refreshing. I'm sure not every "gangsta" hates anything academic. However, it IS taboo for them to talk about it. Don't get me wrong, I'll get a LOT of weird reactions. But I eat those up. :)

I think it's just refreshing being able to finally ask questions or give opinions or comments about these "high class" things without fear of being judged. It also must be nice to NOT be judged and to be treated like an equal. Most of the time, I notice people trying to talk down to "gangstas". It's funny to see my white friends suddenly speak in more slang around black people.

To me, there's a distinction between faking something in order to fit in, and concealing something in order to fit in.

For example, I simply won't fake that I like country music. If I'm in a group of country fans, well, I'm just going to have to be the odd one out.

But I often conceal things, to not make waves. For example, when in the company of religious folk I won't let on that I'm atheist. I won't say I'm a believer, I just stay quiet. Some may call that inauthentic; I think it's called being tactful, though.

lisab said:
To me, there's a distinction between faking something in order to fit in, and concealing something in order to fit in.
I was distinguishing between deception and accommodating to others.

Er...At first look, I don't look like much of a nerd. I tend to hide my nerdiness in public. Then when people get to know me, that's when it all comes out. Though I find it hard to keep a conversation going because I really don't know much of anything else to talk about, let alone how to continue the conversation. I am socially awkward that way.

Ivan Seeking said:
That said, I have often wondered what really drives young men to do the things they do. No doubt in my mind a lot of craziness is driven by sexual desires, and in that sense I always wanted to "fit in" [nyuck nyuck nyuck] I was willing to damn near kill myself if I thought it would help.
If life made any sense the educational system would be geared toward teaching boys how to attract girls. Girls pretty much agree the majority of boys don't get it, and boys are pretty much in agreement it's what they want most in life.

no i haven't found anyone yet.. in my area physics and other things i like isn't really anything anyone thinks or even talks about. but i have a lot of years left and am in no rush for "friends" just want to study and have fun in my own way :)

lisab said:

For example, I simply won't fake that I like country music. If I'm in a group of country fans, well, I'm just going to have to be the odd one out.

But I often conceal things, to not make waves. For example, when in the company of religious folk I won't let on that I'm atheist. I won't say I'm a believer, I just stay quiet. Some may call that inauthentic; I think it's called being tactful, though.
Would it be seen as trying to fit in if I said that I behave the same way with regards to country music? :tongue:

1. What is conformity?

Conformity is the act of adjusting one's behavior, attitudes, or beliefs to match those of a group or society.

2. Why do people conform?

People conform for various reasons, including the desire for social acceptance, the fear of rejection or criticism, and the belief that the group or society has more knowledge or is more correct than the individual.

3. How does conformity affect individuals?

Conformity can have both positive and negative effects on individuals. On one hand, it can lead to social acceptance and a sense of belonging. On the other hand, it can result in the suppression of individuality and critical thinking.

4. Are there any benefits to conformity?

Yes, there are some benefits to conformity. It can help maintain social order and cohesion, facilitate cooperation and teamwork, and promote cultural norms and values.

5. Can conformity be harmful?

Yes, conformity can be harmful in certain situations. It can lead to the perpetuation of harmful or unjust social norms and practices, and it can also stifle creativity and innovation.