Zombies in US: Why is the US Obsessed?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: ZombiesIn summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of zombie movies in the US and whether or not the country is obsessed with them. The conversation also touches on other countries and their representation in zombie movies, as well as the location of movie studios in the US. The conversation also mentions specific zombie movies and their success. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the cultural phenomenon of zombie movies and their relation to different countries and their film industries.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why do all the movies about zombies show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with zombies?
Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about zombies ?

Physics news on Phys.org

we have a shortage of toilet plungers in the US, so low-budget sci-fi isn't much of an option.

I have a different impression on zombies. To me they use to come from video games, not movies.
Here's a future one that shows zombies over an island rather than the US :) : .
Looks scary to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up here in Canada, all we have are moose and mountains and forests. Don't believe me? Watch any recent American movie where Canada plays some small role in it; example: X-men Origins. Every time they have to invent a secret location for tests on mutants, they put it in Canada, and you only see lumber companies or similar things.

Moose make bad zombies. As for other countries, I'm not sure, although I do remember seeing zombie movies based in London.

ryan_m_b said:
Are you forgetting about 28 days later? Or dead snow?

Yes 28 Days Later is what I was thinking, thanks.

ryan_m_b said:
Are you forgetting about 28 days later? Or dead snow?

I missed dead snow, and 28 days later, were they any good? but that dosen't change the fact that most zombie movies are US based.

wolram said:
I missed dead snow, and 28 days later, were they any good? but that dosen't change the fact that most zombie movies are US based.

Dead snow I've never seen (it looked crap). 28 days later was very good, it's sequel wasn't as good. I wouldn't say any more zombie films were set in the US than films in general are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCe6KcUTgyM

Oh crud, I thought this told the entire story of Narcisse but it just gets into it. Interesting story.

Last edited:
DivisionByZro said:
Up here in Canada, all we have are moose and mountains and forests. Don't believe me? Watch any recent American movie where Canada plays some small role in it; example: X-men Origins. Every time they have to invent a secret location for tests on mutants, they put it in Canada, and you only see lumber companies or similar things.

Nonsense. We Americans know you participate in fur trapping and making maple syrup too.

The reason that most zombie movies are made in the USA is that they are actually made by zombies. Have you been to LA lately?

EDIT: However, I think Vancouver, Canada has a shot at breaking into the zombie movie market.

SW VandeCarr said:
The reason that most zombie movies are made in the USA is that they are actually made by zombies. Have you been to LA lately?

EDIT: However, I think Vancouver, Canada has a shot at breaking into the zombie movie market.

:rofl:

wolram said:
Why do all the movies about zombies show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with zombies?
Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about zombies ?

Um. Replace the word zombies with the wildcard character *, to-wit:

Why do all the movies about * show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with *?
Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about *?

Starting to see the pattern?

A better question would be. Why are zombie movies often successful? Or, why do vampire movies still create interest.

DaveC426913 said:
Um. Replace the word zombies with the wildcard character *, to-wit:

Why do all the movies about * show them coming from the USA, is the US obsessed with *?
Whats wrong with Canada. Australia, Europe or Asia? Do you guys obsess about *?

Starting to see the pattern?
Hollywood, California, USA

zoobyshoe said:
Hollywood, California, USA

I live in the middle of Hollywood, so I can tell you, there is no city called Hollywood, California. Hollywood is just the name of a neighborhood; the land lies within Los Angeles proper. But if you address a letter to Hollywood, California, it will still arrive as intended. :P

West Hollywood, however, is a city. And with a majority gay/lesbian population, I believe.

Now that you know these useless facts, you may continue with your zombie thread.

Ben Niehoff said:
I live in the middle of Hollywood, so I can tell you, there is no city called Hollywood, California. Hollywood is just the name of a neighborhood; the land lies within Los Angeles proper. But if you address a letter to Hollywood, California, it will still arrive as intended. :P

West Hollywood, however, is a city. And with a majority gay/lesbian population, I believe.

Now that you know these useless facts, you may continue with your zombie thread.

Where do they keep the movie studios?

Don't forget "Shaun of the Dead"

zoobyshoe said:
Where do they keep the movie studios?

I've seen some in Burbank, Glendale (IIRC), etc. They are basically all over LA County.

Ryumast3r said:
I've seen some in Burbank, Glendale (IIRC), etc. They are basically all over LA County.
I'm so ignorant. I thought Hollywood was a large ghetto of movie studios. Looks like it is in the movies.

There are SOME movie studios in Hollywood (I think I've driven by Paramount?), and also a number of TV stations. But there are a lot more in Burbank. For example, the huge Warner Brothers compound is in Burbank. Historically, the movie studios were in Hollywood, but as the land got more expensive, they moved out.

Hollywood is still home to some historic movie-related places, though. Graumann's Chinese and Egyptian theatres are both within walking distance of me.

Ben Niehoff said:
Graumann's Chinese and Egyptian theatres

Speaking of which...On any given night near these places on Hollywood Blvd., you will typically find no less than three Michael Jacksons, along with some Capt. Jack Sparrows and a Spiderman or two. Do they count as zombies?

Night of the living Dead

Simpson's Dial Z for Zombies

Last edited:
fluidistic said:
I have a different impression on zombies. To me they use to come from video games, not movies.
Here's a future one that shows zombies over an island rather than the US :) : .
Looks scary to me.

That looks amazing, and I don't really like video games.

Willowz said:
A better question would be. Why are zombie movies often successful? Or, why do vampire movies still create interest.

This is because of that retarded piece of idiocy known as Twilight.

Char. Limit said:
Not only. Overall it's a strong theme. There are plenty of other vampire movies. It's pretty weird.

It's like game theory gone mad in those zombie movies.

Last edited:
For vampire 'movies' don't forget about True Blood (not a movie, I know).

Oh, oh.. another zombie movie not in the US: Doomsday! (not totally zombies, but similar)

Char. Limit said:

Twilight can't properly be called a "vampire movie" IMO, because its vampire is not at all what everybody else calls a vampire. Why do you hate Twilight, BTW?

ideasrule said:
Twilight can't properly be called a "vampire movie" IMO, because its vampire is not at all what everybody else calls a vampire. Why do you hate Twilight, BTW?

I'm not very good at explaining. This blog does better: http://spectrumofmadness.blogspot.com/

Search the blog for the term "Twilight".

1. Why are zombies so popular in the US?

The popularity of zombies in the US can be attributed to a variety of factors, including their portrayal in popular media such as movies, TV shows, and video games. Additionally, the concept of a zombie apocalypse taps into people's fears and fascination with the unknown and survival. The idea of a virus or outbreak turning people into mindless, flesh-eating creatures is both thrilling and terrifying, making it a popular topic for entertainment.

2. What is the history of zombies in the US?

The concept of zombies originated in Haitian folklore and voodoo practices, but it wasn't until the 1960s that zombies became popular in the US through George A. Romero's film "Night of the Living Dead." Since then, zombies have been featured in countless movies, TV shows, and books, solidifying their place in US pop culture.

3. How do zombies relate to societal fears and anxieties in the US?

Zombies can represent a variety of societal fears and anxieties, such as the fear of a viral outbreak, the breakdown of society, and the loss of individuality. They also serve as a metaphor for real-world issues such as consumerism and conformity. In times of social and political unrest, the popularity of zombies tends to increase as they offer a way to explore and cope with these fears.

4. What impact does the US's obsession with zombies have on society?

The obsession with zombies can have both positive and negative impacts on society. On one hand, it can bring people together through shared interests and provide a form of escapism. On the other hand, it can also perpetuate harmful stereotypes and desensitize people to violence and death. It's important for individuals to critically analyze and understand the messages and themes behind zombie media.

5. How do scientists study the US's obsession with zombies?

Scientists can study the US's obsession with zombies through various methods, such as surveys and experiments. They can also analyze media and cultural trends to understand the appeal of zombies in the US. Additionally, researchers can study the psychological and sociological impacts of zombie media on individuals and society as a whole.