Lose Weight: 6'1" 180 lbs to Single Digit BF

• Thread starter kraphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, this person wants to lose weight and build muscle. They recommend eating less and moving more to achieve their goals. They also recommend starting out slowly and gradually increasing the difficulty of their exercise regimen.
kraphysics
I am 6'1" and weigh 180 lbs. I need to lose enough wait to get down to single digit body fat percentage. What do u guys recommend in order to lose about 10-20 lbs?

Physics news on Phys.org
kraphysics said:
I am 6'1" and weigh 180 lbs. I need to lose enough wait to get down to single digit body fat percentage. What do u guys recommend in order to lose about 10-20 lbs?

why? 6'1" 180 is just about perfect. it's simple. eat less, exercise more

kraphysics said:

why do you want to do this?

It's because I want to start weight lifting and build muscle. To do this, I assume, first I have to get shredded and then start bulking. Tired of being "skinny- fat". Does this make sense?

eat less, move more

kraphysics said:
It's because I want to start weight lifting and build muscle. To do this, I assume, first I have to get shredded and then start bulking. Tired of being "skinny- fat". Does this make sense?

eh, i don't know that that is true. if you're a real beginner, then i think it is possible for you to lose a bit of fat in the beginning while gaining muscle to recompose a bit. but if you're that serious about it, then actually measure your BF%. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AN3UB/?tag=pfamazon01-20 are one method that is cheap and relatively accurate. maybe a lot easier to do with a partner tho. for really cheap and dirty, the Navy tape measure method is another way.

if you still just can't stop yourself from dieting, then realize that for your goals, you want to retain muscle. that means relatively high protein intake with low calories, with relatively heavy but low volume resistance exercise. fastest way to do this without drugs is the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast. you can find references to it on pubmed or the interwebs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive never had to lose weight before. I'm totally clueless to this stuff. What do I eat? How much do I exercise? Seen many people trying to lose weight. It seems hard as many people aren't able to do it.

kraphysics said:
Ive never had to lose weight before. I'm totally clueless to this stuff. What do I eat? How much do I exercise? Seen many people trying to lose weight. It seems hard as many people aren't able to do it.

try here: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/

You may not "lose weight" if you start exercising. You may in fact gain muscle mass while losing bulk, so you look better but stay at your current weight or even gain weight. Give it a go. Heavy weight-training is pretty fun once you try it for a while. My friend from the paper machine and I subscribed to a very popular gym that had produced a lot of world-class powerlifters over the years. He was frustrated that I was able to clean and jerk and bench more weight than he could, despite the fact that he out-weighed me by over 30%. We used to hit the gym hard after every night-shift (6-6) and then head home. A cute (though tough) young lady used to train us and spot us whenever she could spare the time. She was the women's world powerlifting champion for years, both in the junior and senior classes. She is the daughter of close friends, so I have known her since a child. She is now an EMT like her aunt, and a nurse like her mother, so I would pray to have her respond to a medical emergency at my house, if needed.

Exercise! Find something you enjoy that involves moving enough to get your heart rate up, and sweat. Personally, I dislike "the gym" although I dabble with some dumbells at home sometimes. I prefer to do things that I find FUN, like riding my bike, or skateboard, or going to the park with a mate and kicking a football or running around with the dog. Even little things, like at uni, I take the stairs instead of the lift, or walking 15min to the train station instead of catching the bus.

That, and eat well. Fall in love with vegetables! :)

also take care that you set realistic goals while exercising and dieting. Gradually increase the toughness of your regime.

Greg Bernhardt said:
why? 6'1" 180 is just about perfect. it's simple. eat less, exercise more

That reminds me of a certain sketch:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best way to lose weight?

The best way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit, which means burning more calories than you consume. This can be achieved through a combination of exercise and a healthy, balanced diet.

How long will it take to reach single digit body fat?

The time it takes to reach single digit body fat varies for each individual and depends on factors such as current body composition, genetics, and lifestyle habits. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months with consistent effort.

Can you lose weight without exercising?

Yes, weight loss is primarily determined by the number of calories you consume versus the number of calories you burn. While exercise can aid in weight loss and improve overall health, it is not necessary to lose weight.

Is it possible to lose weight without dieting?

Yes, it is possible to lose weight without following a strict diet. However, it is important to make healthy food choices and maintain a balanced diet to support weight loss and overall well-being.

What are some effective ways to maintain weight loss?

To maintain weight loss, it is important to continue healthy habits such as regular exercise and a balanced diet. It can also be helpful to track your food intake, set realistic goals, and find a support system to hold you accountable.