How can I increase the water pressure in a low head hydroelectric system?

• Thread starter jcterzin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the stream has a very low flow rate and little head distance, making it difficult to create enough power to turn a turbine.
jcterzin
Hi Everyone. I'm new here and glad to find a community with ideas and creativity.

I have a stream behind my house that I feel could be utilized for hydro electrical power. I am no engineer but I've been reading up on it's potential for electrical energy. Trouble is that this stream has very little head in my area (only like 3 - 5 ft.) for me to utilize in order to get the kinetic energy i need to move a turbine (I've been looking into impulse systems) So... I've been looking up ways to fix that. I saw that a Ram pump could lift water to create artificial head but I don't know if I could lift enough water to get a solid jet of water to turn a turbine. Anyone have any suggestions on where I should start to either create enough force, or should I go in a different direction? The river flows at probably 60 - 80 gallons a minute.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Based on some numbers I've run, it does not look as though you have enough flow (and head) to make it a very useful project.

I estimated the potential (ideal) power at approximately 0.07 Hp or 0.05 kWh. Here is how I made this estimate:
Power = mass flow * head
The mass flow is the 60 - 80 gal/min, converting to lbs/sec it is 60 gal/min * 8 lbs/gal = 8 lbs/sec
The head = 5 ft.
Power = 8 lbs/sec * 5 ft = 40 lbs-ft/sec
or in HP = 40 lbs-ft/sec / (550 lbs-ft/sec/HP) = 0.07 HP
or in kWh = 0.07 HP * 0.746 kWh/HP = 0.05 kWh
That is about 1- 60W light bulb's worth of power, and that is before any losses are subtracted.

What may be useful, if you have an emergency or night time use of a small amount of power, would be using the hydro power to charge a battery bank that would supply the emergency or intermittent power.

You may also want to double check that flow rate. 60 - 80 gal/min sounds pretty low for even a small stream.

DickL-

Thank you for the reply. You are right about the flow, it is probably more than that but even so It doesn't sound as if I can just throw a turbine in the stream and make enough power to operate my house.

I made a prototype turbine with 6 flat paddles and sat it in the water and timed the RPMs a few days ago. This thing was very primitive (we are talking paddles made of license plates and an axle of pvc all stuffed into a pickle bucket with the bottom removed.) It was getting 75 RPM. I put my garden hose to it and got the RPMs much higher, like 400 - 500. Wish I could figure out a way to create more water pressure like that out of my garden hose using just the water flowing and not much head distance...

1. How does a hydro generator work?

A hydro generator works by using the force of flowing water to turn a turbine, which then spins a rotor in a generator. This spinning motion generates electricity, which can then be transferred to power homes and businesses.

2. What are the benefits of using a hydro generator?

Hydro generators are a sustainable and renewable source of energy, as they use the flow of water, which is constantly replenished by the water cycle. They also do not produce any harmful emissions and can be installed in a variety of locations, making them a versatile source of energy.

3. How efficient is a hydro generator?

The efficiency of a hydro generator depends on various factors such as the water flow rate, turbine design, and generator technology. On average, a hydro generator can convert around 90% of the energy from flowing water into electricity, making it one of the most efficient forms of renewable energy.

4. What are the different types of hydro generators?

There are three main types of hydro generators: impulse, reaction, and tidal. Impulse generators use the kinetic energy of high-velocity water to turn a turbine, while reaction generators use the force of water flow to turn a turbine. Tidal generators use the ebb and flow of tides to generate electricity.

5. What are the environmental impacts of using a hydro generator?

While hydro generators are a clean and renewable source of energy, their construction can have some environmental impacts. Building dams for hydro generators can disrupt natural habitats and alter the flow of rivers. However, with careful planning and management, these impacts can be minimized.