Can Shining a Laser on Particle Collisions Reveal New Observations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a laser to observe particles in a collision and its limitations due to the energy levels involved. The idea of using a laser to influence particles is also mentioned, but it is not feasible as the tracking of particles is done through their interactions with the detector. The concept of using a particle accelerator to create lift is also brought up, but it is explained that air currents are already particles and that particle accelerators have a specific purpose for accelerating particles to high speeds.
Drakkith
Mentor
Random question. Would shining a laser at a collision between particles let you observe anything you wouldn't be able to otherwise? For example, would any of the created particles absorb or reflect this light enough to be observable before decay?

I'm assuming that it would be, at best, of only limited use. Possible reasons include: Size of particles making them difficult to detect, some particles not interacting with EM radiation, detectors being drowned out by radiation from the collision, damage to detectors from high energy particles, required wavelength probably being in the x-ray to gamma range, and similar difficulties.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plus you'd already have to know where the particle was to aim your laser.

As a related note, they have seriously considered "photon linear colliders", in which you aim two lasers at each other.

Bill_K said:
Plus you'd already have to know where the particle was to aim your laser.

As a related note, they have seriously considered "photon linear colliders", in which you aim two lasers at each other.

Interesting...

Also, I don't see why you couldn't shine a beam that covers the entire collision area before it happens. Unless the density of the photon beam would need to be phenomonaly high to see anything.

The beams at the LHC are ultimately going to reach 7 TeV so in a collision between two beams the energy we are observing is on the order of 1.4 x 10^13 eV. (14 TeV) A laser even made of the maximum energy X-Rays can only reach 1.2 x 10^6 eV which would be negligible for an interact 7 orders of magnitude higher. Even the energy levels of the lasers being worked on at NIF, do not come close to energy levels probed at accelerators. Moral of the story, hitting particles with lasers is old news we are now studying reactions of higher energy in particle physics.

Octonion said:
The beams at the LHC are ultimately going to reach 7 TeV so in a collision between two beams the energy we are observing is on the order of 1.4 x 10^13 eV. (14 TeV) A laser even made of the maximum energy X-Rays can only reach 1.2 x 10^6 eV which would be negligible for an interact 7 orders of magnitude higher. Even the energy levels of the lasers being worked on at NIF, do not come close to energy levels probed at accelerators. Moral of the story, hitting particles with lasers is old news we are now studying reactions of higher energy in particle physics.

The laser would only be to illuminate the particles, not to influence them. I don't think this would really do anything anyways, but I thought I'd ask.

You might be interested by this brief summary that Matt Strassler wrote about "How We Learn What Happened in a Proton-Proton Collision".

In particular, we track the particles produced in collisions through their interactions with the surrounding environment (the detector). Since we don't actually look at the particles themselves, adding a laser to "illuminate" them wouldn't help.

im new to this whole particle accelerator idea. but has anyone thought about using a device similar to accelerate multiple particles, like maybe a lot of them. and would forcing many particles in a certain direction against other more dense particles, create enough force to hover something, and could a we create something compact enough to lift itself by forcing particles down. floating on particles instead of on air currents. o and on second thought could we heat the particles so they rise back up right away. and help to replenish the displaced particles??
like i said I am new to this but i had this idea the other day after talking about particle accelerators with my family.

Ph0t0grapher said:
im new to this whole particle accelerator idea. but has anyone thought about using a device similar to accelerate multiple particles, like maybe a lot of them. and would forcing many particles in a certain direction against other more dense particles, create enough force to hover something, and could a we create something compact enough to lift itself by forcing particles down. floating on particles instead of on air currents. o and on second thought could we heat the particles so they rise back up right away. and help to replenish the displaced particles??
like i said I am new to this but i had this idea the other day after talking about particle accelerators with my family.

Air currents ARE particles! A simple fan accelerates particles in a net direction. That is how propellers airplanes in flight and rotors keep helicopters in the air. Please note that particle accelerators themselves are used for a very specific purpose. Accelerating subatomic particles to VERY high speeds and (usually) collide them with a target, whether it is stationary or also more moving particles. A fan uses its own momentum to transfer energy into the particles of air and give them a velocity in a net direction. An accelerator uses magnetic and electric fields to focus and accelerate particles. A device called an Ion Drive uses the same means to accelerate a spacecraft , however the thrust from the drive is very small compared to something like a jet engine, so it is not useful in the atmosphere. Its benefit is that it is much more efficient than a normal rocket, meaning we can use less fuel and save weight, allowing a heavier payload for the spacecraft or cheaper launches.

1. What is a particle collider?

A particle collider is a scientific instrument used to accelerate particles to very high speeds and then collide them with each other. This allows researchers to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. How does a particle collider work?

A particle collider works by using powerful magnets to accelerate particles to near the speed of light. The particles are then steered into collision with each other, creating a burst of energy that can be studied by detectors.

3. What is the purpose of a particle collider?

The purpose of a particle collider is to study the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can recreate the conditions that existed during the early stages of the universe and gain a better understanding of how it evolved.

4. What types of particles are collided in a particle collider?

Particle colliders can collide a variety of particles, including protons, electrons, and heavy ions. The type of particles used depends on the specific research goals of the experiment.

5. What are the potential benefits of research conducted with a particle collider?

The research conducted with particle colliders has the potential to lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe, as well as practical applications in fields such as medicine and technology. It can also help us to develop new technologies and materials, and advance our understanding of energy and the environment.