What is the 40th term of this arithmetic sequence?

In summary: I'm sorry if I'm not being clear. If you want the points on the graph for the equation y=sin(6\Theta), then you would need to increase the x coordinate by a factor of 6.
Poweranimals
Since I'm studying for my final exam, I'm going to make you guys suffer. Any help would be appreciated in this. Here's the first one...

Find the 40th term of the arithmetic knowing the general term a(n) = a(n-1) + 4 and first term a1 = 13.

Physics news on Phys.org
What class is this?

(we just started that stuff in BC calculus :tongue2: )

College Math 2.

If I am reading this right, isn't a(40) = a(1) + 39 * 4 = 13 +156 = 169?

or more generally, a(n) = a(1) + (n-1)*4

Last edited:
That looks like it might be right. My friend said it was 159, but I think you've got it right.

edit: nvm, being stupid. :yuck:

I agree with Astronuc. Good luck studying with those finals. You have them so early? My physics 2/Linear Alg. finals are on my birthday in about 25 days :(

Okay, so here's another one:

A vector v has initial point P = (5, 2) and terminal point Q = (-3, -2). Find its position vector and write v in the form ai + bj.

So vector to P is 5i + 2j and the vector to Q is -3i-2j, so take the difference.

or what vector added to the vector to P would give you the one to Q.

So would the final answer be 2i + 0j, which would be technically just 2i?

5i + xi = -3i
2j + yj = -2j

So is xi = -8 and xj = -4?

Yes, in the form ai + bj, a=-8, b=-4 or v = -8i -4j.

Okay, here's another...

What are the coordinates for graphing the equation y = sin 6 Ø by plotting points?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Poweranimals said:
Since I'm studying for my final exam, I'm going to make you guys suffer. Any help would be appreciated in this. Here's the first one...

Find the 40th term of the arithmetic knowing the general term a(n) = a(n-1) + 4 and first term a1 = 13.

I wish I was taking your math class. That sounds like grade 11 math.

Sigh.

Poweranimals said:
Okay, here's another...

What are the coordinates for graphing the equation y = sin 6 Ø by plotting points?

wouldn't you just take the points for the graph y=sinx and increase the 'x' coordinates by a factor of 6?

cAm said:
wouldn't you just take the points for the graph y=sinx and increase the 'x' coordinates by a factor of 6?
Yeah, you're right. But I'm stiff baffled as to what coordinates are y=sinx.

cAm said:

If I understand the equation correctly, the equation would be shrunk horizontally by a factor of 6. Either the question wants a graph of [tex]sin(6\Theta)[/tex] or maybe the critical points where the graph crosses the x axis. Don't you just love semantics?

I hate math. :p

What is the best way to prepare for final exams?

The best way to prepare for final exams is to start studying early and regularly review your notes and course materials. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and break up your studying into smaller, manageable chunks.

How much time should I dedicate to studying for each final exam?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for each final exam depends on the difficulty of the course and your own personal study habits. It is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per day studying for each exam, starting at least a week in advance.

Should I study alone or in a group for final exams?

This ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences. Some people prefer to study alone in a quiet environment, while others find it helpful to study in a group and discuss course material with others. It may also be beneficial to mix both individual and group studying methods.

How can I stay focused and motivated while studying for final exams?

To stay focused and motivated while studying for final exams, it is important to eliminate distractions and create a conducive study environment. Set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself after completing them. It can also be helpful to take short breaks and engage in activities that relax your mind.

What are some effective study techniques for final exams?

Some effective study techniques for final exams include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, and practicing with past exams or study guides. It is also helpful to actively engage with the material by asking questions, teaching someone else, or creating visual aids such as diagrams or mind maps.