Maybe Euler's formula may be useful

• Thread starter hedlund
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, using Euler's formula and the equation for y' when y = sin^n(x), it can be proven that the only value for which y' = sin(nx) is when n = 2. This can be shown through a contradiction when n is odd and a case by case analysis for when n is even and greater than 2.
hedlund
Prove that if [tex] y = \sin^n{x} [/tex] then the only value for which [tex] y' = \sin{nx} [/tex] is for n=2. I'm think maybe Euler's formula may be useful ... [tex] \sin{x} = \frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i} [/tex] but I really got no good idea on how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If y = sin^(n)(x), then y' = nsin(x)^(n - 1)cos(x). Suppose n is odd and that y' = sin(nx). Then sin(nx) = nsin(x)^(n - 1)cos(x) even for x = pi/2. The equation reduces into

sin(n * pi/2) = nsin(pi/2)^(n - 1)cos(pi/2)
<=>
sin(n * pi/2) = 0.

But n = 2k + 1 for some integer k, so sin(n * pi/2) = sin( (2k + 1)pi/2 ) = sin(kpi + pi/2) = cos(k * pi). But that is never equal to zero. Contradiction.

I don't know how to handle the case when n is even and > 2.

Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), can indeed be useful in solving this problem. Let's start by substituting Euler's formula into the equation for y:

y = (e^(ix) - e^(-ix))^(n) / (2i)^n

Next, we can expand this using the binomial theorem:

y = (e^(inx) + (-1)^n e^(-inx) - 2C1 e^(i(n-1)x) + 2C2 e^(i(n-2)x) - ... - 2C(n-1) e^(ix)) / (2i)^n

Now, we can take the derivative of both sides:

y' = n(e^(inx) - (-1)^n e^(-inx) - 2C1 e^(i(n-1)x) + 2C2 e^(i(n-2)x) - ... - 2C(n-1) e^(ix)) / (2i)^n

We can see that the only way for y' to equal sin(nx) is if all of the terms involving e^(ix) cancel out. This can only happen when n = 2, as all other values of n will result in at least one term involving e^(ix) that cannot be cancelled out.

Therefore, we have proven that the only value for which y' = sin(nx) is for n = 2. This is a useful result that can be applied in numerous mathematical and scientific contexts.

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula, also known as the Euler identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the values of the exponential function, cosine function, and sine function. It is written as eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit.

2. Who discovered Euler's formula?

The formula was discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. How is Euler's formula useful?

Euler's formula has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to simplify complex calculations involving exponential, cosine, and sine functions. It is also used in signal processing, differential equations, and geometry.

4. Can Euler's formula be proven?

Yes, Euler's formula can be proven using calculus and complex analysis. The proof involves using Maclaurin series expansions of the exponential, cosine, and sine functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical tool and has its limitations. It cannot be used to solve all types of equations and may not be applicable in certain situations. Additionally, its applications may require a good understanding of complex numbers and mathematical concepts.