Creating a Hydrofoil: Find Lift & Drag Formulas

• Thread starter DarkMageUnlimited
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation focused on finding general formulas for hydrofoil design and the use of a free hydrofoil simulator. The person was seeking book recommendations or online resources for this information and also asked for a verification of their results. A website, www.hydrofoils.org, was suggested for a tutorial and spreadsheet link.
DarkMageUnlimited
I have been assigned a project where I have to locate and explain the general formulas, such as lift and drag, used in creating a hydrofoil. I have been looking around for days and I can't find anything. Does anyone have any book suggestions or places I can look on the web that might have this information? Thank you for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Foil Simulator

I found a free hydrofoil simulator that I am working with. But I posted here the values it calculated and I am trying to get a verification on the results. And also a real world opinion such as" Yes the values are correct for the input, but the foil is in a stalled state".
www.hydrofoils.org and click on the lift tutorial and open the spreadsheet link.

Hi there! I understand your frustration in trying to find the formulas for creating a hydrofoil. It can be a complex topic and finding reliable information can be challenging. However, there are some resources that can help you in your project.

Firstly, I would suggest looking into textbooks or articles on aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. These subjects are closely related to hydrofoil design and may contain the formulas you are looking for. Some recommended textbooks are "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson Jr. and "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White.

Additionally, there are many online resources that can provide information on hydrofoil design and the formulas used. Some websites to check out are NASA's Hydrofoil Design and Analysis Software (HDA) and the International Hydrofoil Society's website. These sites offer a wide range of resources, including articles, research papers, and software tools that may be useful for your project.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to professionals or experts in the field of hydrofoil design. They may be able to provide valuable insights and resources to help you in your project. You can also try joining online forums or communities related to hydrofoil design and ask for recommendations or advice.

I hope these suggestions help you in your search for the lift and drag formulas for creating a hydrofoil. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a hydrofoil?

A hydrofoil is a type of boat or ship designed with a wing-like structure called a foil that extends below the water's surface. This helps to lift the boat out of the water, reducing drag and increasing speed.

2. How does a hydrofoil work?

A hydrofoil works by using the lift and drag forces generated by the foil to lift the boat out of the water. As the boat moves forward, water flows over and under the foil, creating lift which counteracts the weight of the boat and allows it to rise above the water's surface.

3. What are the lift and drag formulas for a hydrofoil?

The lift formula for a hydrofoil is L = 1/2 * rho * v^2 * S * Cl, where L is lift, rho is the density of water, v is the velocity, S is the surface area of the foil, and Cl is the coefficient of lift. The drag formula is D = 1/2 * rho * v^2 * S * Cd, where D is drag, rho is the density of water, v is the velocity, S is the surface area of the foil, and Cd is the coefficient of drag.

4. How do you calculate the coefficients of lift and drag for a hydrofoil?

The coefficients of lift and drag can be calculated using experimental testing or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These methods involve measuring the forces and pressures on a physical model of the hydrofoil or using computer software to simulate the flow of water over the foil.

5. What are some factors that affect lift and drag on a hydrofoil?

The lift and drag on a hydrofoil can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the foil, the angle of attack (the angle between the foil and the direction of water flow), the speed of the boat, and the density and viscosity of the water. Changes in these factors can also impact the stability and maneuverability of the hydrofoil.