Solving Eulers Method: Step-By-Step Guide

• Thread starter Kayne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, Eulers Method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation. It is useful for solving complex equations without an analytical solution. It works by breaking down the equation into smaller steps and using the slope at each step to approximate the value of the function. However, it has limitations such as low accuracy and error accumulation over multiple steps. Despite these limitations, Eulers Method has advantages such as simplicity and efficiency, making it a popular choice for real-time applications. It can also be applied in various scientific fields to model and analyze systems, as well as simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems for further research.
Kayne
Hi All,

Just wanted to check to see if I am doing this correctly

If the equation is

[tex]F(t) = m\ddot{y}+c\dot{y}+ky[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}(0) = 0[/tex]

Where m = 2, c =180, k=25, F(t) = -500sin(10t)

I know that it has to be in the form of

[tex]yk+1 = yk+f(xk,yk)h[/tex]

So solving Eulers method to 0.2 with a step size of 0.1

[tex] -500sin(10x)= 2\ddot{y}+180\dot{y}+25y[/tex]

Now to change into for f(x,y) I have done the following

[tex]f(x,y) = -500sin(10x)-2\ddot{y}-180\dot{y}-25y[/tex]

Is this the correct equation for f(x,y)??

So for i = 0

[tex]yk+1 = yk+f(xk,yk)h[/tex]
[tex]y1 = yo+f(xo,yo)h[/tex]

where
x0 = 0
y0 = 0
h = 0.1

This is where I think I have made a mistake becuase the two answers that I have found are very different from one another. I would like to know if I have done this correclty.

[tex]y1 = 0 + f(0, 0)0.1[/tex]
[tex]y1 = 0 + f(-500sin(10*0)-2*0-180*0-25 )*0.1[/tex]
[tex]y1 = 2.5[/tex]

and for i = 1

[tex]y2 = y1+f(x1,y1)h[/tex]
[tex]y1 = 1 + f(1, 1)0.2[/tex]
[tex]y1 = 1 + f(-500sin(10*1)-2*1-180*1-25 )*0.2[/tex]
[tex]y1 = -58.76[/tex]

Have I used eulers method correctly to solve for y1 = -2.5, y2 = -58.76

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
and help!! </code>No, you have not used Euler's method correctly. Euler's method is used to solve a differential equation of the form y' = f(x,y). In this case, your equation is F(t) = m\ddot{y}+c\dot{y}+ky, which is a second order differential equation. You cannot use Euler's method to solve this directly.You will need to use a numerical method such as Runge-Kutta or Adams-Bashforth to solve this equation. These methods are more accurate than Euler's method and can handle higher order equations. For more information on these methods, you should consult a textbook on numerical analysis. Hope this helps!

1. What is Eulers Method and why is it useful?

Eulers Method is a numerical method used to approximate the solution of a differential equation. It is useful because it allows us to solve complex equations that do not have an analytical solution.

2. How does Eulers Method work?

Eulers Method works by breaking down a differential equation into smaller steps and using the slope at each step to approximate the value of the function at the next step. This process is repeated until the desired accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the limitations of Eulers Method?

Eulers Method is a first-order method, meaning that it has a relatively low accuracy compared to higher-order methods. It also has a tendency to accumulate errors over multiple steps, making it less reliable for long-term predictions.

4. What are the advantages of using Eulers Method?

Eulers Method is a simple and easy-to-use method that does not require advanced mathematical knowledge. It is also computationally efficient, making it a popular choice for solving differential equations in real-time applications.

5. How can Eulers Method be applied in scientific research?

Eulers Method can be used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to model and analyze systems that follow differential equations. It can also be used to simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems, providing valuable insights for further research and experimentation.