Physics degree & Astrophysics with Particle Physics degree?

In summary, it is hard to get a job in an observatory, but if you have a degree in physics, you might have a chance.
EIRE2003
Hi I am just in my first yr doing a physical & life sciences degree, Its a 3 yr course for ordinary degree & 4 yrs for honours degree, but in the second year I have to choose in which direction I am heading in, ie for physics, Chemistry, or Biology.
Im choosing physics & then after this honours degree I want to go on and do an honours degree in Astrophysics with Particle Physics.
But I am wondering about what type of career I could get with this?
How hard is it to get a job in an observatory? Or a real good job in CERN?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people don't work in the observatory. You get a degree and get a research grant. You then write a proposal to a committee asking for research time on a telescope and if they deem you worthy, you get some time. CERN is basically the same thing.

Of course there are techs and engineers at both places, but they usually aren't the guys doing the pure science.

EIRE2003 said:
Hi I am just in my first yr doing a physical & life sciences degree, Its a 3 yr course for ordinary degree & 4 yrs for honours degree, but in the second year I have to choose in which direction I am heading in, ie for physics, Chemistry, or Biology.
Im choosing physics & then after this honours degree I want to go on and do an honours degree in Astrophysics with Particle Physics.
But I am wondering about what type of career I could get with this?
How hard is it to get a job in an observatory? Or a real good job in CERN?

I hate to sound like a broken record (does anyone in fact even know what that is anymore?), but the best way to know the kinds and the amount of job openings for a particular field of physics is to actually LOOK at the job advertisement directed at physicists. I have posted two links that contain the current job openings from the AIP and the IoP. These links are contained in one of my Journal entries titled "Employment in Physics - Part 1". This listing changes from week to week, and even have "peak" times of the year where the number of job listing is more than usual. So you have to look at these two sites often and at various times of the year.

I think this is one of the most accurate way of having a feel of the kinds of opportunities or "employability" one has with an expertise in a certain field of physics.

Zz.

1. What is the difference between a physics degree and a degree in astrophysics with particle physics?

A physics degree is a broad degree that covers a wide range of topics in the field of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. A degree in astrophysics with particle physics focuses specifically on the study of astrophysics and particle physics, with a focus on understanding the universe and its fundamental particles.

2. What career opportunities are available with a degree in physics or astrophysics with particle physics?

Graduates with a degree in physics or astrophysics with particle physics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including research positions in academia, government or private institutions, as well as opportunities in industries such as aerospace, technology, and energy.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within astrophysics and particle physics during my degree program?

Yes, most universities offer a variety of courses and specializations within their astrophysics and particle physics degree programs, such as cosmology, high-energy physics, and astrophysical instrumentation. Students can also choose to focus their research projects on a specific area of interest.

4. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary for a degree in physics or astrophysics with particle physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for understanding the complex theories and equations involved in physics and astrophysics with particle physics. Many universities require students to have completed advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before enrolling in an undergraduate program in these fields.

5. What skills will I develop through a degree in physics or astrophysics with particle physics?

In addition to gaining a deep understanding of the physical world and the laws that govern it, students in these degree programs develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also gain experience in data analysis, computer programming, and laboratory techniques, which are transferable to a variety of careers.