Understanding Rest, Stillness, Stationarity, Motion, Movement, and Travel

• Thread starter JT73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, to "be at rest" or "be still" means to have no movement or change in orientation with respect to a chosen reference point. "Being stationary" is also synonymous with this, and refers to an object's distance from a chosen reference point not changing over time.On the other hand, "being in motion" or "moving" means that an object's distance or orientation with respect to a chosen reference point changes over time. "Traveling" is similar, but implies a larger, purposeful movement or journey from one point to another.It is important to note that these terms are all relative to a chosen reference point, and without one, they hold no meaning. Additionally, the concept of motion is independent of energy
JT73
This may seem obvious, but please define these for me, in as much details as possible.

What does it mean to:

"be at rest" "be still" "be stationary" "to be in motion" "to move" "to travel"

Please do so without using one of the words in another one's definition (I.e. stationary means to be at rest or to be in motion means to not be at rest)

Physics news on Phys.org
JT73 said:
This may seem obvious, but please define these for me, in as much details as possible.What does it mean to:

"be at rest" "be still" "be stationary" "to be in motion" "to move" "to travel"

Please do so without using one of the words in another one's definition (I.e. stationary means to be at rest or to be in motion means to not be at rest)
To be "at rest" is synonymous with being "stationary" and it means that your distance with respect to a chosen reference point neither increases, decreases nor changes orientation over time.

To move or to travel means that your distance or orientation with respect to a chosen reference point changes over time.

The key thing to take away from this is that
- none of these terms (moving, rest, stationary) are meaningful without a chosen reference point
- the chosen reference point is arbitrarily chosen out of convenience

So for an object to be at rest or to be stationary could be looked at as being in a state of slowest possible motion (0 m/s)?

Also say teleportation is possible, then if something was teleported from point A to point B, wouldn't it have moved, but not traveled?

JT73 said:
So for an object to be at rest or to be stationary could be looked at as being in a state of slowest possible motion (0 m/s)?
No, it would be in a state of no motion.
JT73 said:
Also say teleportation is possible, then if something was teleported from point A to point B, wouldn't it have moved, but not traveled?
Since its distance wrt to the reference point has changed, it has indeed moved and travelled.

It's just that it didn't pass through the points in between.

A state of no motion is synonymous with "least possible motion" though? Since least possible motion implies no movement which means no motion.

If I am walking from A to B then I am traveleing from A to B. If I was teleported, then i did not physically travel, but I am now in a new position so I have moved.

*I don't want to come off as me stating I'm right. I just want to clarify thoughts of mine

JT73 said:
A state of no motion is synonymous with "least possible motion" though? Since least possible motion implies no movement which means no motion.
We're getting into semantics here. The answers aren't really right or wrong - there's no real universal definition of these terms.

Ok, you have indeed helped, thank you.

heres one for you if you had a coiled spring pined to a board that lent on a uncoiled spring, uponen relese the power of that spring onto the other you would create perpetual motion no?

the moving of the springs is motion yet then energy is always stationary in one self

To clarify that, are you trying to say that the springs are in motion, but the springs' energy is "at rest?"

the answer to your question is as follows, if the energy from spring 1 is given to spring 2 has there been distance created with respect to a chosen reference point

To clarify your question the answer is no

I understand what you are saying, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

that motion itself is motionless, only by distance with respect to a chosen reference point creates oneself

JT73 said:
I understand what you are saying, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

ianpr is confusing the topic more than clarifying. His conundrum can be simply resolved by considering the springs as the system or just a part of a spring as the system.

The same rules still apply. If you pick a reference point, you can determine whether another point is stationary or in motion wrt it.

That was for parallel motion. Now we're talking about perpendicular motion.

danielkbey said:
This may seem obvious, but please figure out these for me, in as much details as possible.

Start a new thread and ask your question.

1. What is the difference between rest and stillness?

Rest and stillness are often used interchangeably, but they have subtle differences. Rest refers to a state of relaxation or inactivity, while stillness refers to a lack of movement or motion. In other words, rest is a physical state, while stillness can refer to both physical and mental states.

2. How can we achieve a state of rest?

Rest can be achieved through activities such as sleeping, meditating, or engaging in relaxing hobbies. It is important to prioritize rest in our daily lives to allow our minds and bodies to recharge and rejuvenate.

3. What is the concept of stationarity in science?

Stationarity is a term used in statistics and data analysis to describe a time series or data set that does not exhibit trends or changes over time. This means that the statistical properties of the data, such as mean and variance, remain constant over time.

4. How does motion differ from movement?

Motion and movement are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings. Motion refers to a change in position or location, while movement refers to an act of changing position or location. In other words, motion is a physical phenomenon, while movement is an action or process.

5. What are some factors that affect travel?

Travel can be affected by various factors, such as mode of transportation, distance, weather conditions, and personal preferences. Other factors may include cost, time constraints, and accessibility. It is important to consider these factors when planning a trip to ensure a smooth and enjoyable travel experience.