Force Analysis of lifting Snowmobile (Ergonomical Analysis)

In summary, to conduct a force analysis of moving a snowmobile using dollies, you need to calculate the center of gravity of the sled and use it to determine the force needed to lift the rear and front of the sled, as well as the skis. This can be done by multiplying the weight of the sled by the distance from the CG to the point where the force is applied.
ConnorMC720
I am conducting an ergonomical analysis of the current method of moving a snowmobile on dry land using dollies. One must manually lift the track (rear) of the sled onto one dolly, then one ski at a time also onto an individual dolly. I need to conduct a force analysis of the situation to determine the force a user needs to exert while lifting the rear and front of sled. I do not have access to a force meter. I believe this can be solved through physics. The sled weighs 509 lbs. The weight is not evenly distributed obviously as the motor is in the front of the sled between and slightly behind the skis. The sled is 10.7 feet long. The sled is 4.0 ft wide. Please advise me with some tips/knowledge on how a force analysis could be done on this situation. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to conduct a force analysis in this situation is to calculate the center of gravity (CG) of the sled. This is done by dividing the sled's weight by its volume. Using the given dimensions, the volume can be calculated as 10.7 x 4.0 x 2.0 = 85.6 cubic feet. The CG of the sled can then be determined by dividing the weight by the volume: 509/85.6 = 5.95 lbs/cubic foot. Once you have the CG of the sled, you can then calculate the force needed to lift the rear and front of the sled by multiplying the weight of the sled by the distance from the CG to the point where the force is applied. For example, if the rear of the sled needs to be lifted one foot off the ground, the force needed to lift it would be 5.95 x 1 = 5.95 lbs. If the front of the sled needs to be lifted two feet off the ground, the force needed to lift it would be 5.95 x 2 = 11.9 lbs. You can also use this method to calculate the force needed to place the skis on the individual dollies. Once you have calculated the CG of the sled, you can then calculate the force needed to lift each ski off the ground by multiplying the weight of the sled by the distance from the CG to the ski. For example, if the front ski needs to be lifted one foot off the ground, the force needed to lift it would be 5.95 x 1 = 5.95 lbs. If the rear ski needs to be lifted two feet off the ground, the force needed to lift it would be 5.95 x 2 = 11.9 lbs.I hope this helps!

1. What is force analysis of lifting snowmobile?

Force analysis of lifting snowmobile is the process of studying the forces involved in lifting a snowmobile, such as the weight of the snowmobile and the strength and movements of the human body required to lift it. This analysis can help determine the most efficient and ergonomic way to lift a snowmobile.

2. Why is force analysis of lifting snowmobile important?

Force analysis of lifting snowmobile is important because it can help prevent injuries and strains caused by improper lifting techniques. It can also improve efficiency and reduce fatigue by identifying the most optimal way to lift a snowmobile.

3. What are the key factors to consider in force analysis of lifting snowmobile?

The key factors to consider in force analysis of lifting snowmobile include the weight of the snowmobile, the center of gravity, the strength and capabilities of the lifter, and the movements and techniques used to lift the snowmobile.

4. How can force analysis of lifting snowmobile be conducted?

Force analysis of lifting snowmobile can be conducted through various methods such as using force sensors and motion capture technology to measure the forces and movements involved in lifting a snowmobile. It can also be done through observation and analysis of human movements and capabilities.

5. What are the benefits of incorporating force analysis of lifting snowmobile in product design?

Incorporating force analysis of lifting snowmobile in product design can lead to the development of more ergonomically designed snowmobiles that are easier and safer to lift. This can also reduce the risk of injuries for users and improve overall efficiency and user experience.