I need to change careers at 31 years old.

In summary, the speaker has been in the restaurant business for over 40 years and has experienced a lot of highs and lows. He currently manages a restaurant in a tourist destination in south jersey and is extremely busy, but hates what he does. He is beginning to hate his job more and more and is considering a career change. He is considering a physical therapy assistant degree as a possible career move. He is worried about the money issue, but is hopeful that he can find a new job that allows more free time.
tkav1980
Since I was 14 I've been in the restaurant business. Even if I had another job I still worked part time in restaurants. I've worked for Morrimoto when he was the executive chef at POD, Mark Vettri, Chris Bellino and other big name chef's. It's really the only thing I am actually qualified to do. Right now I'm managing a restaurant in a village of shops in south jersey which is a resort destination and extremely busy. I only make $17 an hour and work an average of 70+ hours a week.

I'm beginning to absolutely hate what I do. Ok not beginning I completely hate what I do. I have no desire to deal with drunks and get home from work at 5 AM and never have the chance to see my fiancee. On top of the the business itself just blows. It's a TON of work with no reward.

That being said, I need to get into school to get qualified to do somethign besides this. I love training, and helping people out at the gym or anyone i meet with getting together a diet and exercise plan. I am thinking a physical therapy assistant would be something I would actually enjoy. And hopefully give me the time that I would need to become a Physical Therapist. I'm just not sure where to start because of my hours at work, I can't see having time to go to school to get started in a degree program.

I have an appointment with a DO on tuesday and amd goign to see if I can pick his brain a bit but thought I'd ask here as well.

Is there any positions in the medical field for someone with no experience, but 7 years of management experience where I could at least match my current salary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Managing a restaurant (unless it's a chain with some structured hours) can be brutal. That said, your management experience should be valuable in another setting. Can you match your current wage? Perhaps not, but you have a shot at a new career.

I'd gladly give up quite a bit of earnings to spend time with someone that I love. I didn't do that in the early 70's because the 70-80 hours per week with overtime was helping us build savings so we could afford to buy a place of our own. Anybody that knows restaurant management knows what you have been through, and if they need a hard worker for a critical position, you'll get a shot at that job.

Best wishes and good luck. This job market is crappy, but you probably have the experience to land a good job that allows you more free time.

Being an assistant at some sort of physiotherapist's office is probably a long shot.

I know this might sound weird but maybe you have an opportunity to start your own type of business. People are always looking to get into shape and if you can market yourself properly maybe you can snag enough personal training hours to make something of it.

You do have management skills, and that means that you could potentially expand that business if the opportunity arises. A growing trend in North America is obesity there's no argument there, so that is reinforcement that there is also a growing market for this type of thing. If it worked out, no pun intended, then you could potentially have your own business, make your own hours, and a decent living doing something you enjoy.

It is likely that getting your own business going is a risky manoeuvre right now, so maybe you'd like to try applying for a personal trainer position at a local gym to build up a customer base and a feel for the industry. Good luck!

I'm going to see what it would take to get into a Program At Stockton College right around the corner from where I live. They have a 7 year BS/PHD program for Physical Therapy. At least Talking to the department head may give me an idea of what direction I need to go in. I think the combination of helping people and doing something I love will be the right move for me. And that being said, The salary here in south jersey, according to Monster.com, Is 40-50K for a PT assistant, and a PHD averaging 92K.

The only problem I can see is money. My fiancee and I recently built a house. She is an RN at a local hospital and is looking into some entry level management positions there at the moment for me.

Dacruick, I'd love to be a personal trainer for a living while I pursue a degree but unfortunately there is no money in it. At one point I held 3 different training certifications and worked at a gym(I was in college) and made next to nothing. I have to have something where I can count on a paycheck every week.

I understand the importance of making a career change in order to find fulfillment and happiness in your work. It seems like you have a lot of valuable experience in the restaurant industry, but it is clear that it is no longer a fulfilling career for you. It is commendable that you are considering a career in physical therapy and have a passion for helping others with their health and fitness goals.

In terms of breaking into the medical field with no experience, there are a few options to consider. First, you could look into entry-level positions in healthcare facilities, such as a medical assistant or patient care technician. These positions may not offer the same salary as your current job, but they can provide valuable experience and allow you to see if the medical field is the right fit for you.

Another option is to pursue a degree or certification in physical therapy or a related field. Many schools offer flexible schedules, such as evening or online classes, to accommodate working professionals. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition assistance or reimbursement programs to help you further your education while still working.

I also recommend networking with professionals in the medical field, such as the DO you have an appointment with. They can provide valuable insights and advice on breaking into the field and may even have connections or opportunities for you.

Overall, it is important to have a clear plan and to be willing to put in the time and effort to make a career change. With your determination and experience, I am confident that you will be able to find a fulfilling and rewarding career in the medical field. Best of luck to you in your journey.

1. How difficult is it to change careers at 31 years old?

Changing careers at any age can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It will require hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn new skills. However, with determination and a solid plan, a career change at 31 years old can be successfully achieved.

2. Will I have to start over in a new career at 31 years old?

It depends on the career you are transitioning to. In some cases, you may need to start from entry-level positions, while in others, your previous experience and skills may be transferable and allow for a smoother transition. It is important to research the requirements and expectations of your desired career path.

3. How do I know if I am making the right decision to change careers at 31 years old?

Making a career change is a big decision, and it is normal to have doubts. It is important to assess your motivations, interests, and skills to ensure that the new career aligns with your goals and values. It can also be helpful to seek advice from mentors or professionals in the field you are considering.

4. Do I need to go back to school to change careers at 31 years old?

It depends on the career you are transitioning to and the level of education and experience required. In some cases, additional education or certifications may be necessary, while in others, your previous education and experience may be sufficient. It is important to research the specific requirements of your desired career path.

5. How can I make my career change at 31 years old a smooth transition?

To make your career change smoother, it is important to have a plan in place. This can include networking, updating your resume and LinkedIn profile, and gaining relevant experience through volunteering or internships. It is also crucial to be open to learning and adapting to new challenges and environments.